Don't call me a Hobby Farmer Anymore!

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus":29zto8v8 said:
Campground Cattle":29zto8v8 said:
Looks like a lot of you were scared to get on that cost thread that are doing the crying. I am a partimer run twenty-five head of registered Herefords but have to agree with the thread about knowing your cost. Or you jealous sounds like it.

I don't care how many stars you have by your name. Where I'm from, you treat people the way you want to be treated. I thought that was the way a gentleman did it. I've never put a pencil to my cost per cow either, but I know that I'm 7 months away from having 30 registered red angus mommas free and clear in less than 2 1/2 years.

If you're good at what you do, you don't have to tell everyone. They will already know it. If you have some knowledge and want to share it then help someone out. If you don't want to, then don't.

Well I know not to come your way for advice. A man that has no idea what he has pumped into a cow herd can't be much of a rancher. Cattle owner yes Rancher no, now I know why your so angry.

Campground Cattle":37xeqwj0 said:
You had better stay away from Ranchers net if you think this is rough over there they will skin you alive for not knowing what you are talking about.

Campground Cattle":37xeqwj0 said:
You need to grow up a learn to be more like a duck, pick out the good info and move on .

If people would post on a board like they talk to a man in person, none of this would ever occur....I apologize if I have ever come across as rude to you. It wasn't intended.

redangus":2wh7umt4 said:
If people would post on a board like they talk to a man in person, none of this would ever occur.

Aint that the truth.

Got an email citing the double standards. People posting their cost per head and calculating a loss do to Katrina. We should be able to do the same. Some of us plowed and planted for Katrina since it was forecast to come right through the middle of us. All we got was another three weeks of triple digit and no rain for another 4 months. I hadn't thought about it that way. Double standard indeed.

redangus":23r5kgcu said:
Campground Cattle":23r5kgcu said:
You had better stay away from Ranchers net if you think this is rough over there they will skin you alive for not knowing what you are talking about.

Campground Cattle":23r5kgcu said:
You need to grow up a learn to be more like a duck, pick out the good info and move on .

If people would post on a board like they talk to a man in person, none of this would ever occur.

Well I know the old fellow and he is talking to you just like he would if you pulled up in the driveway or at the store . He would take that old broke hand offer it to you say I am Caustic Burno and offer you something to drink. He just enjoys life and doesn't take things serious, if you think you are going to get his goat quit trying, cause I have been for fifty years. Just laughs and moves on best neighbor I have you can call him at two in the morning and he will come running. That is if he is not in my pasture or in the woods chasing coyotes. Sleeps less and gets more work done than I ever thought about, I can't keep up with him.

dun":yaqlpexs said:
backhoeboogie":yaqlpexs said:
In case no one noticed, some of us were 23 inches under normal rainfall last year - and its all our fault.

There was post a week or so ago that said it was the fault of the pres. Everything else is his fault so why not the drought too.

dun

Dun the beauty of it is Dubya's psuedo ranch is also affected by drought. Not as bad as most, but affected nevertheless.

backhoeboogie":c5bbb0ql said:
redangus":c5bbb0ql said:

Aint that the truth.

Got an email citing the double standards. People posting their cost per head and calculating a loss do to Katrina. We should be able to do the same. Some of us plowed and planted for Katrina since it was forecast to come right through the middle of us. All we got was another three weeks of triple digit and no rain for another 4 months. I hadn't thought about it that way. Double standard indeed.

Funny how they provided aide for the Katrina area farms and ranches not one red cent to the Rita victims.

Campground Cattle":dnz73894 said:
redangus":dnz73894 said:

Well I know the old fellow and he is talking to you just like he would if you pulled up in the driveway or at the store . He would take that old broke hand offer it to you say I am Caustic Burno and offer you something to drink. He just enjoys life and doesn't take things serious, if you think you are going to get his goat quit trying, cause I have been for fifty years. Just laughs and moves on best neighbor I have you can call him at two in the morning and he will come running. That is if he is not in my pasture or in the woods chasing coyotes. Sleeps less and gets more work done than I ever thought about, I can't keep up with him.

I would say the same thing about pharmer. I would die to protect him. Sounds like you and I have something in common. We protect our friends...and I'm not trying to get caustic's goat. I respect him. I just think he's a grouchy old kogger. I will ask him & you for help in the future. I bet both of you will probably help me if you could.

Campground Cattle":31qlgrj2 said:
Funny how they provided aide for the Katrina area farms and ranches not one red cent to the Rita victims.

Most of us don't need hand outs anyway. I know I'd be too proud to take assistance. If someone needs it, they can have my part. I'll be fine.

redangus":7s54o0bm said:
Campground Cattle":7s54o0bm said:
redangus":7s54o0bm said:

I would say the same thing about pharmer. I would die to protect him. Sounds like you and I have something in common. We protect our friends...and I'm not trying to get caustic's goat. I respect him. I just think he's a grouchy old kogger. I will ask him & you for help in the future. I bet both of you will probably help me if you could.

You are right I apologize for the shot, just defending my old mentor. He is one heck of a good guy.

backhoeboogie":2de9xgh2 said:
Campground Cattle":2de9xgh2 said:

Most of us don't need hand outs anyway. I know I'd be too proud to take assistance. If someone needs it, they can have my part. I'll be fine.

You are missing the point the government acts like Rita didn't happen. This is poor country over here I am not in the same boat as a lot of these people. I have a six figure job and ranch parttime. I could prop mine up but they have to operate like a business. This country has never seen a storm or destuction like Rita.

Campground Cattle":1yf2dtot said:
redangus":1yf2dtot said:
redangus":1yf2dtot said:

You are right I apologize for the shot, just defending my old mentor. He is one heck of a good guy.

Somebody needs to quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?

Campground Cattle":13tlgj6h said:
You are missing the point the government acts like Rita didn't happen. This is poor country over here I am not in the same boat as a lot of these people. I have a six figure job and ranch parttime. I could prop mine up but they have to operate like a business. This country has never seen a storm or destuction like Rita.

Lets see, there was Wichita Falls, Paris, the Mayfest thing in Fort Worth - I can think of all kinds of complete wipe outs of cities up here in tornado alley, in my lifetime. If a family loses absoutlely everything, it doesn't matter if its in our annual tornadoes or all the wild fires this past year or in those Hurricanes down there.

Imagine your barn, you house, your tractor, everything - right down to all your fence posts completely gone. There are many families right here in my community that were left with the clothes they were wearing when the arrived home. Many of those families sent money to the coastal victims before they were burned out.

'05 was a bad year all the way around for disasters. We aren't out of it yet. I will get fined $2000 if I weld anything right now. I have things I need to mend and can't do so. We can't even use our grills.

backhoeboogie":7v2dawrq said:
dun":7v2dawrq said:
backhoeboogie":7v2dawrq said:
In case no one noticed, some of us were 23 inches under normal rainfall last year - and its all our fault.

There was post a week or so ago that said it was the fault of the pres. Everything else is his fault so why not the drought too.

dun

Dun the beauty of it is Dubya's psuedo ranch is also affected by drought. Not as bad as most, but affected nevertheless.

I bet he had the drought hit there just so he could get some tax relief or so people wouldn;t blame him for it.

dun

milesvb":3q3kj8to said:
aplusmnt":3q3kj8to said:
Lammie":3q3kj8to said:
As someone with an iron gate with an auto-opener, I resent that! Especially when the battery went out and I was stranded inside my own fence! :roll:

That would suck! I would like to get a gate with an auto opener, keep out the roaming thiefs. But can not afford the Rod Iron, will have to be a red, Farm gate for me.

I'm just envious that ya'll have gates. I'm still draggin' wire gaps open in most pastures.

BTW, it's "wrought iron". ;-)

I just have the gate opener at the front of the place. Otherwise it is a big stink about who has to get out and open/close the gates. That is why I have kids!

backhoeboogie":1yvm0uw3 said:
Campground Cattle":1yvm0uw3 said:

Lets see, there was Wichita Falls, Paris, the Mayfest thing in Fort Worth - I can think of all kinds of complete wipe outs of cities up here in tornado alley, in my lifetime. If a family loses absoutlely everything, it doesn't matter if its in our annual tornadoes or all the wild fires this past year or in those Hurricanes down there.

Imagine your barn, you house, your tractor, everything - right down to all your fence posts completely gone. There are many families right here in my community that were left with the clothes they were wearing when the arrived home. Many of those families sent money to the coastal victims before they were burned out.

'05 was a bad year all the way around for disasters. We aren't out of it yet. I will get fined $2000 if I weld anything right now. I have things I need to mend and can't do so. We can't even use our grills.

Boggie this is where I think you are a fool, I pay a ton of taxes every year more than a lot of people make. If the government is going to give away money to help people out of a jam.
I would much rather see it go to people that are working and trying to scratch out a living. I know the per capti income in my county is 15,000 a year, but they are trying to scratch out a living, versus sitting in New Orleans waiting on everything needed to sustain life.

I know I would prefer to see my taxes helping a rancher than a person that has been on welfare since birth.

I love paying taxes as I live in the greatest country on earth and have been blessed with a great job.

Latest posts