Don't call me a Hobby Farmer Anymore!

Help Support CattleToday:

Roadapple said:
When he starts complaining that a neighbor with two cows is making it tough for his four to make a living for him.

aplusmnt,Lammie,warpaint, yall are funny. thankd guys for the laughs this morning.
Me and my wife just got thru talking about this.she dont understand the title thing i explained it as a guy thing. we have to have a title. i've figured mine out. i'm a "hobbie farmer" subtitled "full time". i arrive at this title in this manner. i did'nt use the number of animals because even though i only run 10-30 head at any given time but i dont believe a number makes a title but maybe a "catogory". i'm a hobbist because i enjoy what i'm doing. i dont have to do it but i do and i like it. i'm subtitled "fulltime" cause as the subtitle suggest i'm always working on the farm. 7 days a week i'm doing something to fix, up keep,or better the things here. now wiether bushhogging or moving cattle,putting out hay or fertilizer, spreading seed, mending fences etc etc the work is never done. even at my title "job" "subtitled" day job, i'm thinking, prepairing, buying supplies or building tools to use or needed on this here hobbie farm.......

TheLazyM":1lzk8y2y said:
Me and my wife just got thru talking about this.she dont understand the title thing i explained it as a guy thing. we have to have a title.

Don;t really think it's "a guy thing". I really don;t care what I'm called except late for dinner!

dun

Just to clear the air, I'm just pokin fun at Aplus. I would never degrade anyone that wants to get into this business, no matter how many acres or cows they own. I don't know what title I am as I work a fulltime job out of state and my wife takes care of the farm at home.

I guess that would really make me a visitor and her a farmer!

warpaint":atskwjn2 said:
Just to clear the air, I'm just pokin fun at Aplus. I would never degrade anyone that wants to get into this business, no matter how many acres or cows they own. I don't know what title I am as I work a fulltime job out of state and my wife takes care of the farm at home.

I guess that would really make me a visitor and her a farmer!

That Pokin is starting to hurt :D I would say you getting the wife to run the farm, while you travel and party I mean work. Makes you my new idol :)

Pharmer":250m4z3q said:
Anyone with the time to be on this board day and night is a "hobby farmer" or whatever term you wish to use. The full time farmers that I know don't have the time to be on the internet day and night. I think that it gets under the skin of some people on this board when new people get on here to ask questions. I thought that was what the beginners board was for. This board is one of the best resources for "hobby farmers, and full timers to swap stories and learn from each other.

Noticed you didn't post a cost you don't know I guess, I am sorry if you are one of them gopher types that has to set in a cubicle.
Yes I am on a lot, one of the many nice things about living on the ranch just hop off the tractor or mule, laptop is on the front porch on line. See I also have a lot of stock in a feedlot called Fidelity got to keep check of them critters, the added bonus is to get to hop over and check on you hobby boy's.

:p I have a geriatic horse stable, my cattle are past bottle babies. Dad has the "real" farm with the land, cattle, barns,
ect. I guess i really am a "hobby farmer" ! :lol2:

aplusmnt":1m548yqv said:
I am tired of being called a Hobby farmer. I prefer from now on to be called a Ranchette Owner. Hobby Farmer just sounds so derogatory. It is time to get PC on here. http://www.ranchette.org/

Through advancements in the Farming Community I can now even buy me a Ranchette on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-0-5-acre- ... dZViewItem

:D

Oh my, "ranchette" owner around here would brand you as something equivalent to a Carpetbagger in the post war South.

That is somebody who moved in after they sold their house elsewhere, retired to 40 acres priced so high that only people from elsewhere could buy it, and are now all hat, and no cattle.

I think I'd prefer hobby farmer.

Guess that I'm a full time hobby farmer. Only cycle a few dozen steers through the place each year, enough to keep me busy and give a few dollars to Uncle Sam. DMc

Beefy,
LAH lah lalalalah, la lalalalah

Heeheehee!

(Brings back memories when my kid sisters were smurf crazy).

Can't resist posting this pic of what smurfette might look like today, especially if she's living on a ranchette and has been sneaking Comair's bull bagels.

jadedsmurfette.jpg

The term 'ranchette' makes me think of those old Ranchero vehicles...anyone else remember them?

Take care.[/img]

Pharmer":2uzdhad0 said:
Anyone with the time to be on this board day and night is a "hobby farmer" or whatever term you wish to use. The full time farmers that I know don't have the time to be on the internet day and night. I think that it gets under the skin of some people on this board when new people get on here to ask questions. I thought that was what the beginners board was for. This board is one of the best resources for "hobby farmers, and full timers to swap stories and learn from each other.

:lol: It's about time someone said it.

aplusmnt":397bxzws said:
Lammie":397bxzws said:
As someone with an iron gate with an auto-opener, I resent that! Especially when the battery went out and I was stranded inside my own fence! :roll:

That would suck! I would like to get a gate with an auto opener, keep out the roaming thiefs. But can not afford the Rod Iron, will have to be a red, Farm gate for me.

I'm just envious that ya'll have gates. I'm still draggin' wire gaps open in most pastures.

BTW, it's "wrought iron". ;-)

Pharmer":3f28hb64 said:

Right, that would cut into their coffee shop/gossiping time.

Looks like a lot of you were scared to get on that cost thread that are doing the crying. I am a partimer run twenty-five head of registered Herefords but have to agree with the thread about knowing your cost. Or you jealous sounds like it.

Campground Cattle":24gnzpmv said:
Looks like a lot of you were scared to get on that cost thread that are doing the crying. I am a partimer run twenty-five head of registered Herefords but have to agree with the thread about knowing your cost. Or you jealous sounds like it.

I don't care how many stars you have by your name. Where I'm from, you treat people the way you want to be treated. I thought that was the way a gentleman did it. I've never put a pencil to my cost per cow either, but I know that I'm 7 months away from having 30 registered red angus mommas free and clear in less than 2 1/2 years.

If you're good at what you do, you don't have to tell everyone. They will already know it. If you have some knowledge and want to share it then help someone out. If you don't want to, then don't.

Campground Cattle":2e7jw631 said:

Why get slammed? A man making 6 figures per cow in his regular job is going to get slammed by those making three figures per cow. Those making 7 figures per cow don't even read the forum.

A beginner comes in and asks a question, sincerely, and he gets slammed. That is why all the PMs are happening. something to think about.

In case no one noticed, some of us were 23 inches under normal rainfall last year - and its all our fault.

Life has been very good and there is no reason for whining. Being a cubicle dwelling hobby farmer aint bad at all.

backhoeboogie":2q6ap5am said:
In case no one noticed, some of us were 23 inches under normal rainfall last year - and its all our fault.

There was post a week or so ago that said it was the fault of the pres. Everything else is his fault so why not the drought too.

dun

You had better stay away from Ranchers net if you think this is rough over there they will skin you alive for not knowing what you are talking about.

Latest posts