Don't call me a Hobby Farmer Anymore!

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint":3mfgmb7f said:
Hobby Farmer!! :p

That's okay, the CPA refers to me as "Mr. and Sir"

You can own several ranches outright but still fit the title of "Hobby Farmer" in this forum. If you work a ranch part time, for some reason it gets under the skin of the full timers and I really don't know why.

I bet they are just a fuming when ole Dubya flies in to Crawford and saddles up. He's a hobbyist too.

[/quote]

You can own several ranches outright but still fit the title of "Hobby Farmer" in this forum. If you work a ranch part time, for some reason it gets under the skin of the full timers and I really don't know why.

I bet they are just a fuming when ole Dubya flies in to Crawford and saddles up. He's a hobbyist too.[/quote]
What is his full time job? :D

Anyone with the time to be on this board day and night is a "hobby farmer" or whatever term you wish to use. The full time farmers that I know don't have the time to be on the internet day and night. I think that it gets under the skin of some people on this board when new people get on here to ask questions. I thought that was what the beginners board was for. This board is one of the best resources for "hobby farmers, and full timers to swap stories and learn from each other.

backhoeboogie":38bw8pyc said:
warpaint":38bw8pyc said:
Hobby Farmer!! :p

I bet they are just a fuming when ole Dubya flies in to Crawford and saddles up. He's a hobbyist too.

Actually, W figured that a W. family Ranch would help him in his bid for the presidency so bought the ranch from a friend who then leased the land back from W for his cows (who never left). I think he even got to keep living in his old house as W built a new super ranch house. W. comes out a few weeks a year, makes a show of chopping brush with his axe (who with a thousand acres doesn't have a bush hog? or a dozer? or at least a chain saw???) and goes back to his day job, while the real rancher dude handles the real ranching. It makes for great TV.

VanC":6uoa32u7 said:
Ranchette sounds too girly. How about we just call it "home" and not worry about what others think about it.

Sounds good. I only have 16 acres where my house is. "Home" doesn't really apply for me.

Ok I got a PM wanting to know if I was a dudette since I owned a Ranchette. I might have to think this name thing over a little more. Do not want to be associated with Brokeback Mountain.

Now I have to go change that sign I hung today at the end of the driveway.

"A-Plus Ranchette and Petting Zoo"

aplusmnt":12te7xoq said:
Ok I got a PM wanting to know if I was a dudette since I owned a Ranchette. I might have to think this name thing over a little more. Do not want to be associated with Brokeback Mountain.

How small is a hobby ranchette and when does it change to a ranchette and then to a farm.

Caustic Burno":hdif9w1o said:
aplusmnt":hdif9w1o said:

How small is a hobby ranchette and when does it change to a ranchette and then to a farm.
When he starts complaining that a neighbor with two cows is making it tough for his four to make a living for him.

Caustic Burno":jhb8c28z said:
aplusmnt":jhb8c28z said:

Not sure if size is the deciding factor on this. Probably depends on many things. I see a ranchette having someone come weekly to Mow, weedeat and landscape their yard, someone to come clean the pool weekly. A hired hand to brush and and feed there expensive horse they are afraid to ride. Ranchettes are only located on blacktop roads. They have rod iron gates with auto openers. There driveways are always paved and all cars and trucks are parked in garages at night.

Well now that I think about it I do not have a Ranchette either. Guess I will go back to being a Hobby Farmer striving to be a part-time rancher.

As someone with an iron gate with an auto-opener, I resent that! Especially when the battery went out and I was stranded inside my own fence! :roll:

Lammie":3ugbuko0 said:
As someone with an iron gate with an auto-opener, I resent that! Especially when the battery went out and I was stranded inside my own fence! :roll:

That would suck! I would like to get a gate with an auto opener, keep out the roaming thiefs. But can not afford the Rod Iron, will have to be a red, Farm gate for me.

Latest posts