donkeys vs. hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

I know I'm digging up a long dead topic :deadhorse: but I need to own up to something. You guys who corrected me on the donkeys and hogs were exactly right. The donkeys turned out to be no deterrent. We just didn't have any but the occasional sign, so I "assumed" the donkeys were helping. The past two years during the drought and especially after a nearby dairy closed, the hogs have moved in with a vengeance. We have killed 10 in the last year and a half and trapped four more (they were delicious). I declared war after they completely tore up my front yard one night, and I never heard them. So we have traps all over the place and occasionally hunt them at night. It's not all bad news; I got some new guns out of it :cboy:

Could be worse Grandpa--it could be my turn Again--instead of you.
When you don't see anymore, don't relax too much--they move in--and they move out like gypsies and them people we used to call hoboes.

They came back with a vengeance. Worse than ever. Droves of them. Going right into one of my neighbors barns too with lights on in there. He's got 670 acres and 300 of it looks like it was carpet bombed. I am thinking they have some West Point grads in their midst this time.

I read somewhere that you have to eliminate 89% of them annually just to keep the population static.....and that is nearly impossible.

Brute 23":2xpbqhcp said:
pdfangus":2xpbqhcp said:
I read somewhere that you have to eliminate 89% of them annually just to keep the population static.....and that is nearly impossible.

Yup, its a losing battle. It only takes one vacant place or place with heavy cover in a 10mi radius and they will keep you in full suply.
Got both things working against me. A vacant place just across the road with water and timber that I finally got permission to set traps on, and 42 acres of heavy timber on my place so thick you can't even walk through it. I am told my grandpa would set fire to it every so many years, and people would come from miles around to watch the fire. Back then it was surrounded by cultivated fields; now, it's grass pastures and homes.

The only way to control hogs is large-scale poisoning, and that's currently illegal. Otherwise, get a semiautomatic rifle with several magazines of ammo, bait them with sour corn and just kill, kill, kill them, as many as you can, late at night. Don't waste money on stupid dog hunts, using helicopters, etc. After you kill them, you can zip down them with box cutters and peel back strips of hide so the buzzards can get to them. Other hogs will eat them, too.

Ruark":1ncndjvz said:
The only way to control hogs is large-scale poisoning, and that's currently illegal. Otherwise, get a semiautomatic rifle with several magazines of ammo, bait them with sour corn and just kill, kill, kill them, as many as you can, late at night. Don't waste money on stupid dog hunts, using helicopters, etc. After you kill them, you can zip down them with box cutters and peel back strips of hide so the buzzards can get to them. Other hogs will eat them, too.

12 volt light bulb's painted red with a marks a lot hooked up to battery over bait works real well.
They don't spook from the red light then work them over.

That's exactly why I bought the SKS. I decided the 9mm carbine just might not be enough gun. And the SKS has a built in pig sticker (bayonet). :D

Grandpa":2nj167gj said:
That's exactly why I bought the SKS. I decided the 9mm carbine just might not be enough gun. And the SKS has a built in pig sticker (bayonet). :D
If yours is like mine, don't keep it too clean--won't feed worth a dang right after I give it a good cleaning and lube.

greybeard":28wnopzl said:
Grandpa":28wnopzl said:
If yours is like mine, don't keep it too clean--won't feed worth a dang right after I give it a good cleaning and lube.
You're right about that. They're used to being grimy. Kind of like a 10-year-old boy. Glad I have it now and may get a chance to use it. Put a trap up on a neighbor's torn up pasture, next to a wallow that measured 30" across and 18" deep. May need a bazooka for that hog.

Have you ever tried a hot wire about 8 inches up on the fence. I have heard since they are so smart they learn to respect it quickly.....I am ready to try that...trapping just isn't cuttin' it.

This neighbor has a hot wire to keep the neighbor's cows out so maybe not low enough for a hog. But there is no such barrier between him and the abandoned place next door. We finally got permission to hunt and trap them in there. You're right, trapping and hunting don't keep up, but at least we can have some fun with it.

hdrockn":3t60egab said:
Have you ever tried a hot wire about 8 inches up on the fence. I have heard since they are so smart they learn to respect it quickly.....I am ready to try that...trapping just isn't cuttin' it.

Yes.

A hot wire will work to some extent. I use hot wire around my oats to keep the hogs out. It works great. A lot of farmers use hot wire around their fields. It helps during planting time but when its roasting ear time the cant resist.

My preferred method is 4 barbed wires every other gap on a t-post from forums level. It holds up better than net wire or hot wire IMO.

Latest posts