donkeys vs. hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

RodBod

Reaction score
I know donkeys will run off pesky coyotes--will donkeys chase hogs out of the pasture as well??

I don't know who chases what, since I have never witnessed it, but I do know this much. There are hogs all around our area, pretty much surrounding mine and two neighbors places. We used to see a lot of damage from hogs. But the three of us all have donkeys now, 2 or 3 apiece, and since we got them none of us has had a hog problem since. Other neighbors still have them.

Apparently the hogs just don't like your company or you don't have many hogs as there are donkeys in every pasture around here. These hogs are not scared of anything some not even humans.

Not to disagree but like I said, I don't know from observation. I do know you are right about them not fearing humans. Maybe there is just nothing on my place they might like, other than the 42 acre patch of solid oak trees with this year's bumper crop of acorns. Not claiming I have knowledge; I just know that the other neighbors complain of lots of hog problems, and my 2 neighbors and I have none. The thing we 3 have in common is the donkeys. I have heard other folks in the county say the same thing. Maybe we are just hog repellant humans like you say.

TexasBred":3lg9gfq0 said:
Your turn will come.

I hate to break it to him it ain't them jack asses keep them hogs away, his neighbors just have better grociers.

They will move in one night and it will look like his pastures have been carpet bombed by B-52's.
There are two kinds of people those of us with hogs and those that are going to have hogs.
These ain't grandpa's hogs running the woods, these are crossed with Russian boar and bad to the bone.
Want to see something look for the show Pig Bomb on the Discovery channel. They have gotten so bad somewhere over in Ga. they are actually attacking people in there houses and yards.
I have watched them defend a deer feeder from anything that approaches even you.

The neighbor that adjoins me across the road has a donkey. We both have hogs too. He had me come over there with my traps a few times.

I have been carpet bombed. Worst was 3 years back. One day you have hogs, the next day you don't. A few days later you have hundreds.

We must just be very lucky then. Thanks for the link. Next time I get into an argument, I'll call my brother-in-law. He knows everything about everything. :lol:

Caustic Burno":29xpxp6y said:
Dang TB they have two or three more than we do. They will get a newborn calf or fawn and all you find is a bloody spot.

CB that was probably taken over at Boogies' place. :lol2: He's gonna have to put out a few more traps. Hopefully folks will get the idea of what these pests can do, and you're right....other than humans they have no enemies.

Almost rolled the tractor mowing 2 years ago....front fell off into a hole they dug...only thing that kept me upright was the loader...but it did shear one of the loader's pins.

I shoot every one I see....some days you get 3, or 4, others 9 or 10. Its not at all uncommon for us to roll up on 20 of them rooting around the pasture right now. We keep the AR in the gator with 4 clips. The good thing about em is they are dumb, slow, and cant see at all. If they cant smell you, you can walk up to within 30 yards of them before you start shooting.

got a jenny with my cows. She will put a dog or coyote out of the pasture but the hogs come and go. Seems like we have caught all the dumb ones. The hogs that are left around here are getting harder to get in a trap.

As long as the hogs are not threatening the stock a donkey won't care if they hang around. A guard dog on the other hand claims territory and would not accept hogs on their territory.

Howdyjabo":1acck8km said:
As long as the hogs are not threatening the stock a donkey won't care if they hang around. A guard dog on the other hand claims territory and would not accept hogs on their territory.

True Howdy, but I don't think a single dog would have a chance with wild hogs. Even people that hunt wild pigs with dogs use trained dogs that will listen to them and do as told. And they use more than one dog. My old pyrenees isn't afraid of a dog or coyote in the world but I'm sure he would do little more than bark and back off if a group of pigs show up.

If hogs have somewhere easier to be, they just won't bother coming into a guard dogs pasture. Guard dogs first line of defense is not by attacking, its by being vocal and threatening, most things will decide there is an easier place to be without it ever coming down to confrontation..You are right though , if I had a hog problem I would want several guard dogs just in case it did come down to confrontation.

One guy told me he taught his donkey to hate hogs. He turned a hog loose in close quarters with cattle. The hog upset the cattle so the donkey killed it. He said from then on the donkey hated a hog. Hes a big story teller so I don't know wether to believe him or not but it makes sense to me.

TexasBred":1kil271m said:
Howdyjabo":1kil271m said:

True Howdy, but I don't think a single dog would have a chance with wild hogs. Even people that hunt wild pigs with dogs use trained dogs that will listen to them and do as told. And they use more than one dog. My old pyrenees isn't afraid of a dog or coyote in the world but I'm sure he would do little more than bark and back off if a group of pigs show up.

I have traped them in the front yard. Dog raising cain every time they came in the yard they just kept rooting .
Now when they hit the Mrs. rose bed it was on. It got so bad I had to haul dirt in and fill holes before I could mow.
Opened the front door one night about 25 rooting in the yard big boar was about 25 yards from me, I picked up a model 12 a put a load of buckshot in his rib cage. He headed south squeling along with his 24 buddies they tore down wire and t post for two hundred feet on the other side of the drive way. I showed them hogs. I finally got them and it wasn't with a gun.

Latest posts