Doing a Project on Farm Safety. Need to hear experiences.

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I, along with two other people are doing a farm safety assignment. We will be focusing on both Livestock safety and machinerey safety, and we would like to hear experiences. There may be another Person on mine during the next two weeks, so It's only me if I have ACS at the bottom.
Thanks,
ACS

One time I got a splinter.

No, seriously. Are you looking for examples of how people use safety precautions, or are you looking for stories of accidents caused by a lack of safety precautions?

Dated a girl many years ago who's dad tried to unplug a cornpicker while it was still running. Lost his left arm up to just above the elbow. Good news was his brother was in the field and close by or he probably would have died.

Personally, I had 2 ribs broken by a bull when I was very young and very stupid. Had been told to never go in his pen under any circumstances. Learned a valuble lesson.

->Had a Char bull jump out of a wooden "hospital" pen when I was only two for unknown reasons. Scared the sh!t out of me. Lesson: "hospital" pen of steel panels 7' high, not wood 5 1/2' high.

->Had an ornery steer (800 lbs) charge me at the same age (2 yrs) and nearly got me hurt. Scared the crap out of me. Lesson: never let your kids out of where they are safest (truck, other side of fence, etc.) if there's dangerous animals around and if they want to join you to "help".

->Got bit by a dog who hated kids (bit my cousin (3 yrs youngr than me) on the back but drew no blood) and nearly was killed. 30 stitches on face and inside of mouth. Lots of blood and scars for life. Lucky my uncle, older boy-cousins and Dad were close by. Dog got put down soon after and one of my boy-cousins put a heavy stick to him. Lesson: don't go up to a dog unless he/she comes to you. (That incident made me respect dogs a bit more but not hate them more)

-> Eldest brother's little finger got caught in a combine (can't rememberwhat part--had it apart during winter to clean and fix something on it) Disfigured finger for life b/c severed some major tendons. Combine was not running or hooked up to tractor! Lesson: careful of where you stick your fingers.

-> Neighbor's arm lost when grain truck box fell (hydraulics wore out maybe?) cut it off like scissors cut a piece of paper. Lucky it wasn't his head (which could also happen)

-> Heard of a gate fell on a little girl and killed her whilst she was playing: just north of our farm.

-> My great-grandpa (Pa) was killed by a bull (black Angus?) My guess was that Pa had the bull cornered too well, was too deep in its flight zone, or else bull had scent of cows in heat in its nostrils and lashed its fury of not-being-able-to-be-out-with-them on Pa.

-> Battery exploded on our Case IH 7240 Magnum dually and lucky the battery acid never hit dad enough to cause serious burns. Had to repaint the damaged parts on the tractor, and it shook Dad up a bit. Tractor's good as new now ;-)

-> WHOLE herd of 90+ steers "escaped" out of pasture (took down 9 fence-post lengths on corner fence)--probably because neighbors' dogs were pestering them. Cattle didn't go far though; went into "new" pasture andwe let them stay there for a couple days to settle down. Dogs didn't come back so they got off "scot-free".

I don't think those are all of the accidents that have happened to us. But these are good so far.

In the last 2 weeks in ND, 2 well experienced ranchers killed. ! was trampled by a cow.... ! was killed when his 4-wheeler rolled on him while he was chasing cows. Be CAREFUL

Thanks, and the only ones that we have experienced the worst was someone haveing a broke finger.
I know that these are gruesome (some of them, anyways) but I talked the teachers into putting in a unit on agriculture and farms. Finally. This was one of the projects, and so far, my group is the only one with their feet off the ground. With everyone's help we will be finished and getting our A+ in no time! LOL!

Thanks a million!
ACS

A member of the community was discing (I think) and the disc became plugged. He put the tractor in neutral, but did not shut it off, got out and was unplugging the disc when the tractor popped back into gear somehow. His funeral was the following week.

Another member of the community was combining wheat and, for whatever reason, allowed his son or grandson (not sure which) to ride on the flat part of the combine in front of the cab. Combine hit a rut, ditch, or low spot and the header bar pitched down throwing the child into the header bar. The funeral was the following week.

A woman, wearing a loose shirt over her top, was helping her husband dig postholes with a posthole digger. The wind blew the tail of the shirt into the pto and she couldn't get it off fast enough. She survived, but had more broken bones than I can even remember.

Dad was wearing a new pair of boots and, during the course of the day, was cleaning out the drill. He slipped and went down between the drill and the platform on the back of it. Subsequently developed a blood clot in his leg from the damage done. When Mom finally got him to go to the doctor, the doctor told him if he had waited another few days he would have been dead. He spent several days in the hospital and had to have surgery on that leg.

Dad was grinding hay with a tub grinder and got distracted by something, tripped over something else, and nearly wound up in the grinder.

Sister-in-Law was helping my grandfather load steers and got kicked on the shin by a steer. Due to the extensive bruising, she developed a blood clot in her leg. She went to the doctor early enough that they were able to take care of it with medication and staying off the leg for several days.

Okay here we go...

Others (Neighbors and family friends):

1. Man was killed when he was rolling barbed wire by himself and got tangled up in it.

2. Man had a dump truck and the hydraulics failed and smashed his hand.

3. 4 Wheeler rolled over and crushed hip, legs, etc.

4. Friend had a tractor with trailer behind loading hay bales by himself. At the end of each row he would jump back on turn the tractor around and jump back off. He slipped and got ran over by the trailer...broke/smashed his pelvis.

5. Micotil accidents a couple years ago.

6. Lady got out of a pickup without setting the brake and the pickup rolled forward smashing her. (fatal)

7. Steer took a feedlot cowboys horse and he was killed.

8. Lady was moving big square bales when one of the top ones fell and smashed her and the tractor... lots of breaks and bruises but she was okay.

Now for me or my family...

1. Roped a "showsteer" and was choking him down to put a halter on him, the calf pulled away and my hand got caught in my dally around a panel. (had good leather gloves on.) Received third degree burns with cuts to the bone on four fingers.

2. Horse wrecks should probably be a seperate category...
Dad was riding a horse and jumped a cement channel, the horse stopped and he broke his back. I've broke an arm and my pelvis in horse wrecks. Dad got a concusion. Mom bruised ribs and back.

3. Uncle lost an eye to an elastric strap. (can't think of the name of these things...they are black with hooks on both ends.)

4. Mom got a fractured leg when a bull kicked her.

That's all I can think of at the moment.... hope it helps.

VanC":dqr1m9c0 said:
sainty01":dqr1m9c0 said:
3. Uncle lost an eye to an elastric strap. (can't think of the name of these things...they are black with hooks on both ends.)

We call 'em bungee cords.

Also known as tarp straps.

A friend rebuilt his Cat. Orchard Tractor - would brag how it would start on the first "Hand Crank"

It started this time - was in Gear- ran up his leg - he all most lost the leg - Walk with a limp ever after

If you do a search of the internet for "brush hog accident" you'll proably find that it is one ofthe most common injury causes. Every year around here there is at least a couple of people killed in brush hog incidents.

dun

My dad has two brothers who each lost a middle finger, one on the left and one of the right, in two separate combine accidents. Both severed at the middle joint.

Once, years ago, my dad and those two brothers were having dinner at a restaurant and a waitress noticed the missing digits. My uncles noticed that she was staring at them. Pat told her that he and his brother were so much alike as kids that their dad did that so that he could tell them apart!

Waitress was stunned.

True story.

Drinking and driving can be fatal on farm machinery.About 20 years ago I fell off the tractor while discing and was dragged through the dirt for several yards.My brother was on another tractor in the same field and was able to rescue me. I am alive only by the grace of GOD. I was very drunk at the time but finally learned better. Sober now 18 years. I am sure many farm accidents are the result of too much alcohol. Just one more safety factor to consider.

1)Saw a man with his jeans shredded from the knee down and soaked in blood where he had jumped in the pen with a sow that had pigs. She chewed him up good
2)My daddy haltered a steer and was trying to load him onto the back of the pickup. He wrapped the rope around his hand and the steer bolted dragging my daddy down the gravel driveway
3)When I was kid we were loading steers on the truck. Daddy tied off a rope around a post in the barn and lassoed this 5-600 lb. calf. He told us the calf would run and not to grab the rope. Well, I weighed all of 100 lbs. and when the steer ran I instinctively grabbed the rope. The rope became taut and shot me out of the barn like an arrow from a bow. Then as I lay on my back in the barnyard and raised my head the steer ran back around and caught my neck with rope and slung me back to the ground.
4)I was on a horse when someone threw a football and caught it in right in the horses' face. Horse reared, saddle slipped, Horse toppled backward on top of me, and I was lying under this gelding while he was wallowing from side to side trying to right himself. That earned me trip to the emergency room.
5)I've known three people who have needed medical attention because they put their head over the head of a cow in the headcatch. Cow's head goes up and smashes into the face of the person above causing broken noses, busted jaws and cheek bones, and braces on teeth to do unimaginable things to lips and gums.
6)Friend of mine lost his dad when livestock were spooked and trampled him to death.
7)My paw paw had a torn bicep from a kick from a mule while shoeing it.
8) My daddy got a broken arm from an upset momma cow while working cows. She knocked him down and came after him but was thwarted by my 5 ft. tall momma who jumped in between 'em to save my daddy.
9) My momma was butted in the face by a cow and got her glasses broke.
10)Local high school kid lost his leg when he stepped onto a bushhog that was in gear and slipped under the deck.

Latest posts