Does your family still send Christmas cards?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks":1yd4fobn said:
Do any of you have Jewish friends? I have a couple; when making out cards, I usually catch myself at the last minute and grab one of the "Season's Greetings"-type of cards for them. One Jewish friend sends around Happy New Years cards, which are nice to get too

Don't have Jewish friends but do have Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist friends who all wish me merry christmas. Always feels a bit awkward. I usually just say thanks.

Redgully":19ulqxgu said:
boondocks":19ulqxgu said:
Do any of you have Jewish friends? I have a couple; when making out cards, I usually catch myself at the last minute and grab one of the "Season's Greetings"-type of cards for them. One Jewish friend sends around Happy New Years cards, which are nice to get too

Don't have Jewish friends but do have Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist friends who all wish me merry christmas. Always feels a bit awkward. I usually just say thanks.

yup, hard to go wrong etiquette-wise with "thanks" ;)

We send some, not a lot, to people that mean a lot to us or that maybe we don't see often. Sending them helps me think about and appreciated certain relationships that are special.
Usually jam up to the last minute getting them out. Not by design but at the same time I don't want anyone sending me one out of obligation.

I like getting them when I feel they are sincere.
I am not fond of cards that are just pictures of their children. Makes me feel like they are just trying to show of their children rather than connecting with me in friendship.
I don't like those cards that are pictures of their little dogs with sweaters on.
I do like the picture of Greybeard's card at the beginning of this thread.
It has character and is authentic.

I extend my care and fellowship to all on the boards that will receive it.
May each of us remember and appreciate the reason for the season.

Merry Christmas.

Ryder":pmk2x4lv said:
We send some, not a lot, to people that mean a lot to us or that maybe we don't see often. Sending them helps me think about and appreciated certain relationships that are special.
Usually jam up to the last minute getting them out. Not by design but at the same time I don't want anyone sending me one out of obligation.

I am not fond of cards that are just pictures of their children. Makes me feel like they are just trying to show of their children rather than connecting with me in friendship.
I don't like those cards that are pictures of their little dogs with sweaters on.

Merry Christmas.
Back atcha!
In terms of pictures, I like to get them IN a Christmas card but I'm getting more and more that aren't a card-- just a single sheet photo of their kids, dog, etc with "Greetings from the Joneses" preprinted under the picture, and the recipient's name/address on a computer-generated label on the back. Sheesh folks, spring for the dang card and write a sentence, or don't bother :hide:

boondocks":71h35xd7 said:
Ryder":71h35xd7 said:

Merry Christmas.
Back atcha!
In terms of pictures, I like to get them IN a Christmas card but I'm getting more and more that aren't a card-- just a single sheet photo of their kids, dog, etc with "Greetings from the Joneses" preprinted under the picture, and the recipient's name/address on a computer-generated label on the back. Sheesh folks, spring for the dang card and write a sentence, or don't bother :hide:
#$%#$ spending on a card.. I had to buy ONE this year.. $7.50

Nesikep":z0kh6346 said:
#$%#$ spending on a card.. I had to buy ONE this year.. $7.50

Agree prices are redonkulous. We have a few local folks that make them and sell them in a local shop. Price is comparable and at least it supports someone in the area.
I noticed that Hallmark etc jacked up prices bigtime during the Great Recession. I think sales dropped a lot so they decided to squeeze every last dime out of us fools that still buy them. Kinda like CDs lol. And prices have stayed up.
I usually buy a box or two of Christmas cards just after the holidays, for half (or more) off. Or on the rare time we go to Costco, sometimes they have good deals on a big variety box for all occasions

I'm really fussy about my cards, so finding ONE that is acceptable to me is hard enough, I'd never find a boxful of assorted ones I like.. Come to think of it, same goes for people!

Nesikep":b5raqw9t said:
I'm really fussy about my cards, so finding ONE that is acceptable to me is hard enough, I'd never find a boxful of assorted ones I like.. Come to think of it, same goes for people!
That might be a problem when it comes to finding a sweet smelling one.

my cards cost about $20 total at CVS diy kiosk and tat included envelopes sized for the card.
The prices I saw for different types were 50¢ to 80¢ each no matter how many you needed.
You folks that have real winter weather and open country are the places that produce the scenery that commercial Christmas cards a try to imitate. Cut out the middleman.

greybeard":2rukpond said:
my cards cost about $20 total at CVS diy kiosk and tat included envelopes sized for the card.
The prices I saw for different types were 50¢ to 80¢ each no matter how many you needed.
You folks that have real winter weather and open country are the places that produce the scenery that commercial Christmas cards a try to imitate. Cut out the middleman.
I prefer sunshine and bikinis myself for Christmas.

True Grit Farms":26qph86r said:
greybeard":26qph86r said:

We have plenty of both!

Redgully":h4fdt486 said:
True Grit Farms":h4fdt486 said:
greybeard":h4fdt486 said:

We have plenty of both!
Your a little to far away for a Christmas visit. One of these days.....Australia is high up on my bucket list.
Any chance you know any of the Wade family from Florida?

True Grit Farms":3kzif50g said:
greybeard":3kzif50g said:
What a grown man chooses to wear for the holidays, sunshine or snow, is no one's concern but his..........
:hide:

True Grit Farms":2b2qmr4e said:
Redgully":2b2qmr4e said:
True Grit Farms":2b2qmr4e said:

We have plenty of both!
Your a little to far away for a Christmas visit. One of these days.....Australia is high up on my bucket list.

Not heard of the Wade's might be wrong side of the country. Most people from other countries who get into farming around here are South African. A lot of them struggle as they are used to servants but some thrive. We have heaps of your sailors here though at times.

Redgully":5tae1a8p said:
True Grit Farms":5tae1a8p said:
Redgully":5tae1a8p said:
We have plenty of both!

Not heard of the Wade's might be wrong side of the country. Most people from other countries who get into farming around here are South African. A lot of them struggle as they are used to servants but some thrive. We have heaps of your sailors here though at times.
The Wade's have been there since 1974 and are ranchers.

"We have heaps of your sailors here though at times." I was almost one of them long long ago but we ended up making port of call in Brisbane instead. It was nice but they talked funny...

greybeard":rtspcw4n said:
"We have heaps of your sailors here though at times." I was almost one of them long long ago but we ended up making port of call in Brisbane instead. It was nice but they talked funny...

Yeah they do talk funny over there. Its the humidity. I don't know why everyone just doesnt talk normal like we do here! It was always hard work finding girls on the town when the sailors were in. We have a naval base an hour from here.

True Grit Farms":1vthqvk3 said:
Redgully":1vthqvk3 said:
True Grit Farms":1vthqvk3 said:

The Wade's have been there since 1974 and are ranchers.

I was born two years after they arrived! Any ranchers around here would stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe they are station owners these days instead......

We usually refer to them as farms or stations for the big more remote operations. You never hear ranch or ranchers here even though it is the same thing. My uncle had a station that ran sheep. Quite a few thousand. The big stations up north mostly run cattle. Some of them are huge and a very different way of life.

Latest posts