Does your family still send Christmas cards?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I did last year and again this year.
I didn't used to very much, but now that I've gotten a few years on me, and the family I'm closest to has dropped in #s significantly thru attrition, I've gone back to doing it. This year, I made my own for the 1st time using a picture I took last December in a very rare E Texas snow accumulation......well sort of an accumulation..

(and I know it's kinda dumb, but I miss seeing Christmas seals)

callmefence":36g1a46i said:
. No
I can send a text for free. Someone will actually read it instead of checking it for cash and throwing it in the trash.

If you're gonna get cash outa ol' Fence, you need to be in the right place at the right time. Missed my chance a couple weeks ago when Chisolm cut the line. :lol2:

Farm Fence Solutions":20hs4m0c said:
callmefence":20hs4m0c said:
. No
I can send a text for free. Someone will actually read it instead of checking it for cash and throwing it in the trash.

If you're gonna get cash outa ol' Fence, you need to be in the right place at the right time. Missed my chance a couple weeks ago when Chisolm cut the line. :lol2:

I was sending him to pick up your gift... : :D

callmefence":3tjpsoqp said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3tjpsoqp said:
callmefence":3tjpsoqp said:
. No

I was sending him to pick up your gift... : :D
:banana:

When they come in, one goes back out to them the next day. We will average bout 30 cards.

greybeard":3okiflc5 said:
Ebeneezer Scrooge":3okiflc5 said:
. No

Lol.... least you didn't use my actual picture this time...... last time you did I couldn't get anything done for two weeks cause of all the women calling... :cowboy:

My wife has one made up of our kids and sends them out to close family and friends and the rest get a msg through facebook or some electrical way. I do know my daughters love getting them and displaying them across the living room.

The wife is busy addressing envelopes right now. Probably 40 or 50 total. We buy the cards the week after Christmas when they are on sale cheap. We don't buy presents for each other and just send a little cash to the grandkids. I can't imagine the people who go into debt over Christmas.

I still send cards, probably out of habit more than anything. But I don't send a newsletter. Received one earlier this week that left me speechless. Guy we haven't seen in years included a very detailed "year in review" about his rectal cancer. Fortunately he's in remission but there was sooooo much information I didn't need to know, which I suspect is the case with the majority of the recipients. Didn't exactly scream Merry Christmas & Ho, Ho, Ho!

TCRanch":kvqwyvsx said:
I still send cards, probably out of habit more than anything. But I don't send a newsletter. Received one earlier this week that left me speechless. Guy we haven't seen in years included a very detailed "year in review" about his rectal cancer. Fortunately he's in remission but there was sooooo much information I didn't need to know, which I suspect is the case with the majority of the recipients. Didn't exactly scream Merry Christmas & Ho, Ho, Ho!

I'm with you. Don't need to hear about these families of overachievers, if I cared I'd go to your Facebook page which I won't cause I don't.

We send them but fewer every year. We have a running inside chuckle every year at this time: There's a family we knew years ago but haven't seen in years (kids were friends but grew up; they moved; we moved x2). One year, they'll skip us but we (not knowing it yet) send them one. The next year, we figure "oh, guess we can drop them this year" but then they must think back to the prior year, and send us one. The next year we switch. Lather rinse repeat. This has gone on for a few years now. :lol: The other day I asked hubs, well, are we or aren't we? I suspect this is the year we finally both omit it!

I like to get them, and like to send them, but am always hurt when we send $ in them to nieces/nephews and get no acknowledgment back. Have sent cash before but doing checks this year so at least we'll know they got them. :???:

TCRanch":1bai3fmh said:

I had to "heart" that post.
Usually, I'll just write some generic "Merry Christmas, hope all is well" etc, one line most of the time.
I do tho, sometime during the year, sit down and write a couple of the older folks in my family that I know don't do email.
I still remember how much my mother enjoyed getting a letter from her sisters and brothers as they were all in North or West Texas and back then, phone calls were an 'expensive luxury, and getting one from a relative usually meant bad news...

Boondocks...I send them whether I ever get one in return or not.
(my wife is not much on sending any kind of card on time...In 24 years, I don't think she has ever sent a birthday or Christmas card to her mother or sisters that got there on or before the proper date, especially on birthdays.
I gave her the # of Christmas cards she would need last night, with stamped envelopes and already addressed and told her to write something on the cards. They 'may' get them around New Years, or maybe Easter.)

We do. My wife just finished the last of them last night. Our friends are scattered and it keeps us in touch.

We like getting them too. We put them all on display, and we read them all.

TCRanch":vo5fdhkx said:

I'm with you on the newsletters. I'd never even heard of that when I was a kid, but we had a couple of more spiffy relatives who started sending them later. It's usually a comedy hour for us. They usually try to be witty, humorous, and as you wrote, they share way too much. At some point, we usually pass them around, read certain selections, and have a good laugh.

We, my wife, decided to do cards this year. I'm not doing the whole letter thing. I do Facebook. Most of the time I find the letters to be a bit braggy-"This year we went here." "I got this." "My kid accomplished____." I understand folks are proud of their accomplishments, but I just feel that a holiday card is not really the place for that.

Do any of you have Jewish friends? I have a couple; when making out cards, I usually catch myself at the last minute and grab one of the "Season's Greetings"-type of cards for them. One Jewish friend sends around Happy New Years cards, which are nice to get too

Latest posts