does having a calf on delay heat

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
in other words if a cow is still nursing will it delay her being bred back again?

would weaning early breed her back sooner?

maybe at 4 mos instead of 6..or even at 5 would still be a month head start?

gary

All of mine have a calf on them when the Bull comes in. Want them bred by the four month time frame. If not, I figure there is some other problem with the cow.

fitz

Will delay her a few weeks, but she should still begin cycling between 30 and 60 days post-calving. Need her bred back by 80-85 days in order to maintain a 1yr calving interval.

A cow that loses a calf always seems to breed back fast for me, but if a cow is not bred by the time her calf is 4 months old I don't want her around any way.

Before estrus sync was around they would pull the calves off for 48 hours. The biofeedback would bring a bunch into heat. Biggest drawback is the scours a lot of the calves got after glutting all that milk afterwards. I doubt anyone does it much anymore.

I think the answer is yes. A cow without a calf will be in better condition and more likely to breed. Summer heat can be the problem as well.

i realize they will be in heat but is there anyway that biologically the cow might delay being bred back because the calf is still on it.

i was reading something in a cattle mag about early weaning and it just got me thinking. they should all calf w/in a yr regardless i agree

The calf being on her shouldn't delay her cycling unless she's in really bad shape and thin. Expect her to cycle 2-3 months after calving under normal conditions. If she doesn't do that then there is something else wrong like body condition or she just won't breed back because of a fertility issue.

I read an article where pulling a nursing calf for 48 hrs stimulates he release
Of natural Gnrh.
You could give her a shot of gnrh to jump start her again. It won't harm her if she is pregnant by some chance

The 48 hr. deal does work. I did it last year on my nurse cows in order to tighten up their calving window. The bull needed a pack of smokes a little while after i turned the cows out with him!! You have to watch it though when you turn the calves back with the cows because they will gorge themselves on milk and get the squirts. You have to let them nurse for about 10 min and then pull them back off. Do this a couple times a day for two days then turn em back with cows completely.

some cows take awhile to breed back with calves on them even though they are in great shape.unless your pushing for the perfect 12 month calving those cows work fine.as long as they dont get to far over the line.

Making milk requires that the cow push a bunch of blood through her liver. Her liver filters out toxins as well as alot of hormones. If she's milking enough for her liver to filter out enough of key parts of her cycle then there either is no cycle or it is repressed. People say that holstiens are infertile because they have breeding problems but in fact they are super fertile and production masks it.

The faster you get them to cycle the faster they breed back.
A good beef cow will take care of the baby on the ground first, herself second, and THEN the one on the way. Early weaning will absolutely help you with the cow and the next generation of calves. Then it's just a balance of raising the calves on the ground.

weaning early will take from the calf on the gound tho? right..hence the balance part..unless yer shipping at 4 mos....i might try at 5 mos tho...the cost ofset of the per lb wieght is about the same prfit is ya take the feed into the equation

so everyne of yer cows is calfing by 11 mos..that should be the outside window right..or you ship em?

man id go thru so many cows id never havem long enough to recognize em

One calf a year Diesel. I like to calve mid Feb. thru March. Start checking for heats to AI may 1, will AI threw May. Bull goes in June 1. Any that don't calve when i want them to will leave the farm.

I agree. A cow should calf every 12 months IF you are doing your job right. Now if she gets sick or something I can see cutting some slack. Make sure they are bcs of 5 or 5.5 before calving and keep their plane of nutrition on a even keel after calving.
I have one that was rebred at 45 days post calving so I could work her into my timeframe. I shoot for 60 day calving.

She better be able to keep herself in shape here. No feed buckets allowed. Just grass and hay for cows and sometimes a lick tub in real nasty weather. I always have salt and mineral out.

Latest posts