Does beer beef up a show bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have heard of folks using beer to fill out a calf just prior to showing. Never have tried this. In my opinion if the calf isn't good enough without using some false method, they shouldn't be shown.

warpaint":3u3fa0jl said:
I have heard of folks using beer to fill out a calf just prior to showing. Never have tried this. In my opinion if the calf isn't good enough without using some false method, they shouldn't be shown.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

cowboy13":2bjmsx0k said:
Beer is used to calm the calf down, not fill them up.

If the calf is trained right, it shouldn't need a beer to calm it's nerves. I'll be the one needing the beer, not the steer!! ;-)

cowboy13":38l9qjq5 said:

Years ago when I was in high school, beer was used just like sprite is used now, to make the animals look full. Used for pumping them.

mom

warpaint":2ifjjyi0 said:

warpaint":2ifjjyi0 said:
If the calf is trained right, it shouldn't need a beer to calm it's nerves. I'll be the one needing the beer, not the steer!!

:clap:

cowboy13":31c5b1e8 said:
Just be careful how much you give him. Next thing you know he will be thinking he's a FS 10 & weighs 3000 lbs. and wanting to fight every steer in the barn.

Start 'em on beer and the next thing you know they'll drive into town and start hangin' out at some low life bar type place. Then they'll take to pickin' fights and gambling and then ya' gotta go bail 'em out of jail and get 'em into rehab.
It just spirals out of control.

Worse yet, then he'll become a "social" drinker and maybe even take up smoking! That could be detrimental to your hay barns and pastures. :lol:

yes they do give their slaughter animals beer and it does assist in tenderising the beef.

Latest posts