Dodge Deisel

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Anyone own a second generation Dodge with the Cummins. If so have you had lift pump, fuel supply, or fuel pressure problems. If so what was your remedy.
Tom

I dont own one but have put several high pressure pumps on and aftermarket lift pumps.

kerley":3byrnhzf said:
Anyone own a second generation Dodge with the Cummins. If so have you had lift pump, fuel supply, or fuel pressure problems. If so what was your remedy.
Tom

Buy a chevrolet. :lol:

There are several available pumps out there that are really good. The Fass pumps seem ok but there were some problems with the early ones. If you dont have a guage in the cab (GET ONE)

All of the above. Its just the nature of the beast. I put a new lift pump on at 160,000, New Injector pump on at 180,000. Had a line that leaked fuel that came out of the top of the tank, had to replace it. Also had to replace two ECMs on the same truck.

Other than that I had great luck with it. It was a 99 one ton that was abused everyday, from driving through rough pastures to pulling stock and horse trailers. Sold the truck a month ago with 200,000 miles on it in fair condition for $7000. Bought a 2005 same truck with 6 speed. Love My dodges

Have had a chevy diesel, not impressed. Motor was great, but it was build to keep on the highway

JHH":2n8h56wm said:
I dont own one but have put several high pressure pumps on and aftermarket lift pumps.

kerley":2n8h56wm said:
Tom

Buy a chevrolet. :lol:

There are several available pumps out there that are really good. The Fass pumps seem ok but there were some problems with the early ones. If you dont have a guage in the cab (GET ONE)
Thank you, I am installing a new Isspro EV2 fuel pressure guage. I ordered it from Genos Garage and started installation today.

cleland":2iwch8nb said:
All of the above. Its just the nature of the beast. I put a new lift pump on at 160,000, New Injector pump on at 180,000. Had a line that leaked fuel that came out of the top of the tank, had to replace it. Also had to replace two ECMs on the same truck.

Other than that I had great luck with it. It was a 99 one ton that was abused everyday, from driving through rough pastures to pulling stock and horse trailers. Sold the truck a month ago with 200,000 miles on it in fair condition for $7000. Bought a 2005 same truck with 6 speed. Love My dodges

Have had a chevy diesel, not impressed. Motor was great, but it was build to keep on the highway
Last year we broke down on the hwy. and it was one of those days when the heat/humidity was hard to bare. The tow truck driver towed my truck to his buddys shop where they proceded to screw us to death. New VP44 which is good and the stock OEM lift pump which is crap. Sence then I have read every thing I can find on Dodge 98.5 Cummins. When the new guage installation is completed I will start replacing all the fuel delivery from the in tank fuel pump to the Injector pump, then I will feel safe. Tom

kerley":3tucp3zd said:
cleland":3tucp3zd said:

Last year we broke down on the hwy. and it was one of those days when the heat/humidity was hard to bare. The tow truck driver towed my truck to his buddys shop where they proceded to screw us to death. New VP44 which is good and the stock OEM lift pump which is crap. Sence then I have read every thing I can find on Dodge 98.5 Cummins. When the new guage installation is completed I will start replacing all the fuel delivery from the in tank fuel pump to the Injector pump, then I will feel safe. Tom

If you have replaced the VP44 with a rebuilt then I would leave it alone if you have good fuel pressure to it. I would get rid of the in tank pump and get a better pump with more pressure.

Keep the filter changed and if you dont have a gauge with a light that comes on when fuel psi is low you might want to get one of them to.

I will say they will pull but I think I will stick to my chevrolet. Pull and have the ride.

I had an 02 Dodge with lift pump problems. The Dodge fix was to go to an in-tank fuel pump. Had that done and no problems until traded truck w 250k miles on an 07 with the 6.7 Cummins.

Use good fuel especially in winter and use a winter front up north. I always add Howe's in the winter in WI and north into the Dakotas. Jim

Wouldn't run a 2nd gen without a FP gauge myself. I cut the intank LP out and put a Raptor on the frame rail. It holds runs about 15psi at idle and the pump is adjustable....side note, if you do it you don't need the draw straw in the tank. Just cut the pump out of the basket in the tank and run a piece of fuel line to bottom of basket and draw your fuel from there. Be sure to notch bottom of the line so it doesn't suck itself to the bottom of basket though. $.99 fix and it works fine.

m&kCattle":24g6vrwr said:
Wouldn't run a 2nd gen without a FP gauge myself. I cut the intank LP out and put a Raptor on the frame rail. It holds runs about 15psi at idle and the pump is adjustable....side note, if you do it you don't need the draw straw in the tank. Just cut the pump out of the basket in the tank and run a piece of fuel line to bottom of basket and draw your fuel from there. Be sure to notch bottom of the line so it doesn't suck itself to the bottom of basket though. $.99 fix and it works fine.
Thanks for the tip. Which Raptor did you install. Did you remove the factory lift pump off the block or using it aswell. Did you have to buy a special wiring harness for the Raptor? I have read so much about the 98.5 24v fuel problems that I am getting confused.
Tom

never run a VP44 pump out of fuel, it goes along with keeping your fuel pressure up...

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who put the old inline 7600 series pumps on the 24V cummins, I'm sure there's a kit out there if yours bites the dust again, I have the 12V in my 94 and have about 330 HP/850ft lb on an otherwise stock engine

Nesikep":2xrsqmtv said:
never run a VP44 pump out of fuel, it goes along with keeping your fuel pressure up...

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who put the old inline 7600 series pumps on the 24V cummins, I'm sure there's a kit out there if yours bites the dust again, I have the 12V in my 94 and have about 330 HP/850ft lb on an otherwise stock engine

Yea they pull. Just wish dodge would have put a truck around the engine.

aint got tat truck sorted yet bud? try moparman1985 site also. personally i spliced a holley black into the feed line and ran 3/8 hose from there to the filter hsg. triggered a relay from the original lift pump conn and make 15psi wide open and 20 at idle. using the stk pickup not the intank pump. my truck is hotrodded out big time. hot rod vp..big turbo...inj....i need reliabilty cuz my vp cost 2500 bucks alone...
get the gauge hooked up and if ya have 5 psi haulin a trlr yer good...the airdog/fass is all hype and expense...like to buy a 20 filter at the dlr or napa..you wont if ya git a fass...

u got my email ..feel free...

gary

kerley":wj2ao19p said:
m&kCattle":wj2ao19p said:
Thanks for the tip. Which Raptor did you install. Did you remove the factory lift pump off the block or using it aswell. Did you have to buy a special wiring harness for the Raptor? I have read so much about the 98.5 24v fuel problems that I am getting confused.
Tom

The harness comes with the Raptor. You also get a big line fuel kit with push connect fittings, so you by pass LP on block if that is the one you are running. Hoses go in the top of filter housing so you can tear all the old lines and LP out or leave them if you don't mind looking at them. It is a easy fix even if your not a mechanic. I pulled the bed off to get at top of tank but you can also drop the tank. I just think its quicker and easier to pull bed and you dont have to worry about breaking a strap. I put the 150 on and it will run higher than 15psi if I wanted but 15 psi about where you want it at idle to keep the VP happy. You read right, Dodge never had a good fix for the LP and really kinda gave up on it. The other biggie with the 2nd gen 24 v is the 53 block, some crack some don't. If it is gonna crack it will usually be on the passenger side and leak antifreeze. Crawl under and look at stamping on front of block on drivers side , it will be stamped 53 if it is a 53. Have any more ? send me a PM I'd be happy to help if I can.....All in all I love my pick up, they all have their quirks.

a little off the subject of the fuel system, but I put a manual override for the hubs (if that's what you call them) with a couple old vacuum solenoids from the emission control system of an old car, with a fog light switch on the dash, so I can use low range without 4wd, etc

take my word for it, have a 94 with the vacuum pot actuator.. piece of garbage, the ujoints are still all turning full time, they don't last long in my truck either...I am hearing of 96ish ford axles being usable with the REAL hubs

speaking of fuel pressure, my truck just sprung a leak somewhere behind the fuel filter AGAIN.. .I'll have to investigate when I get home..

I installed the isspro EV2 fuel pressure guage and it has a poor design where the wires hook up to the back of the fp guage. I sent it back and got a full refund. I ordered the Isspro mechanical guage and it works great. I am holding twelve pounds pressure at an idle and ten pounds pulling the gn loaded with six tons of hay. Thats with the factory lift pump which I don't trust, but its okay for now. I would like 15 to 20 pounds fuel pressure at idle and around 15 at wot loaded. Im still going to change the fuel pump, just to busy right now.

good deal..sounds like ya got it licked fer now. keep an eye on that guage and youll be okay..thats pretty good psi for a stk pump

Latest posts