Dodge Cummins Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I have a 2004 1 ton that won't start in the cold. It's a fuel problem, but can't figure it out. The dealer says it's the injectors, which I don't believe.

There's a check valve type deal with a bell fitting on one end, next to the fuel tank, going to a rubber line connecting to the fuel filter. Does anyone know what this is? Can't find anyone that seems to know anything about it, or how I can replace it!

It is more than likley the injectors, I have replaced alot of injectors on the newer style 5.9 engines for that same problem. If it was me I would buy aftermaket injectors because the OEM ones are very expensive.

TheBullLady":dd6mitge said:
I have a 2004 1 ton that won't start in the cold. It's a fuel problem, but can't figure it out. The dealer says it's the injectors, which I don't believe.

There's a check valve type deal with a bell fitting on one end, next to the fuel tank, going to a rubber line connecting to the fuel filter. Does anyone know what this is? Can't find anyone that seems to know anything about it, or how I can replace it!
That truck has what is called a lift pump in the tank. Don't guess on a diagnosis on your truck! It can get expensive throwing parts at it. When is the last time you changed filters? What is the service history on this truck? A good Cummins tech can diagnose your trouble and repair your truck proper. Which motor do you have?

Kingfisher":2rlff92b said:
TheBullLady":2rlff92b said:

That truck has what is called a lift pump in the tank. Don't guess on a diagnosis on your truck! It can get expensive throwing parts at it. When is the last time you changed filters? What is the service history on this truck? A good Cummins tech can diagnose your trouble and repair your truck proper. Which motor do you have?

A lift pump problem would act-up all the time not just when it is cold but agree to get some one with the tools to diagnosis it, I think OEM injestors are 600 to 1000 dollars a piece.

kenny thomas":3q3crtti said:
Is the engine heater working? If so check the tank fuel pump.

Unless that truck was converted over it doesnt have a pump in the tank, it would be on the back of the filter housing.

c farmer":fnzxvq9e said:
kenny thomas":fnzxvq9e said:
Is the engine heater working? If so check the tank fuel pump.

Unless that truck was converted over it doesnt have a pump in the tank, it would be on the back of the filter housing.

Sorry, newer than mine. Is the engine heater working?
If it will start when it is warm it is getting fuel but if not when it is cold sounds like the heater is dead.

As far as I know 2002 was the last year with the lift pump on the block. 2004 should have the pump in the tank.

ryan_289":o759hgze said:
As far as I know 2002 was the last year with the lift pump on the block. 2004 should have the pump in the tank.

Just looked 04 is still on the filter housing.05 went to the tank

I ditched the canister lift pump miles ago. The CP3 will still draw fuel from the tank without the lift pump, but the performance suffers. I would definately take it to a quailified cummins mechanic as injector problems can get expensive fast. Is the truck making oil or smoking on start up?

Had the same problem last fall. It turned out to be an injector that had a small leak. It took 2 trips to the dealership but it was finally corrected. Thank goodness it was still under warranty at 98k miles. Good luck!

Take it to Tripplet in Waco and let them work on it. Most likely is the injectors letting pressure out.

Latest posts