Dodge 2500/3500 Difference?

Help Support CattleToday:

Conagher

Reaction score
Starting to look at new trucks. Was considering a dodge 3500 but wanted SRW, long bed - which is a difficult combination to find in this area. In researching, it appears the 2500 and 3500 (assuming same diesel engine options and SRW) is basically this same except the 3500 appears to have an additional leaf spring (overloads). Does anyone know if there are other functional differences?

Thanks!

Conagher":2szpii7k said:
Starting to look at new trucks. Was considering a dodge 3500 but wanted SRW, long bed - which is a difficult combination to find in this area. In researching, it appears the 2500 and 3500 (assuming same diesel engine options and SRW) is basically this same except the 3500 appears to have an additional leaf spring (overloads). Does anyone know if there are other functional differences?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's the same engine and like you said the 3500 is beefed up more which makes it a 1 ton. There are probably some more differences but I'm not aware of them.

The spring/shock package is different and thats about it. The 3500 _may_ have some of the "heavy duty" package as standard such as the heavier sway bars, but its nothing that can't be put on a 2500, or that already comes on a diesel equipped 2500.

The 3500 cab and chassis are a different critter though. Up until the switch to Corporate axles (2003), the 3500 C&C had a full Dana 80, the 25/3500 body cabs had a 70/80 hybrid.

Rod

A 1 ton single rear wheel is basicly a ton truck on a 3/4 frame. I bought a new Dodge in 03. Loved it. It just squatted a little more than I liked, when loaded or hooked a loaded trailer to it. I Went back to the dually.

No such thing as a 3/4 ton or 1 ton frame: They are identical frames in every way, shape and form. The ton doesn't even have additional boxing. Only the 1500 uses a lighter frame.

Rod

Latest posts