Do you remember ....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
..... the mad cow scare? How the market fell with all the bad PR about beef safety issues. How the press and gov't officials said we were lacking in sourcing our meat? How we needed ID systems and a means of tracing the animals? How the press and gov't officials said England and Europe had wonderful systems of tracing animals and how WE needed a similar system? If you felt compelled to agree with any of this press here is an example of how it works in England. Sorry its not in american english so we might need to get Chrisy to interpret some of it for us but I think you can get the jist. I did think it was interesting food for thought. I'm not trying to get political just wanting to show what a lovely system they have in England cause this could be us if we don't stand our ground.

This is a post from an english forum about a fella's experience moving three pigs to another farm for a film. Equivalent to moving some from Georgia to Alabama.

To say this week has been trying is an understatement!! Around a month ago, I applied on behalf of someone else, for a temporary licence to take 3 pigs from wales to somerset, for performance reasons to a location with no CPH number. Now this is a standard licence used solely for performance reasons.
anyway, one AH office said it couldnt be done.........duuuurrr it can and has been many a time before, while the AH office at the other end of wales said no prob, as they issued exactly the same licence earlier on in the year for pigs to work on snowdon, filming for 2 weeks!!. So i call camarthen and say well get in touch with caernarfon and they will tell you what is needed. this they did and all seemed fine, anyhow, the persons whose pigs they are, that i'm applieing for the licence for has also spoken to camarthen, that have given her a totaly different story. it turns out a few calls down the line, that caernarfon had no right to issue the licence for some reason ? so i get hold of somerset, asking if they could shine some light on the situation, so there AH say, there 's no reason why you shouldnt have it, mean while call after call after call camarthen are still baffling themselves with basics, still saying no but when asked to justify there reasons for not issueing the licence couldnt tell me why!! now after being on caution myself for 3 years, and being asked question after question and having to have answers for them, having 3 hearings and all over 1 licence 1 day to late for 1 pig, i'd of atleast thought they would of had the decency to answer 1 of my questions!
By now i'd had enough of being nice and we only had a week left to get things sorted, i was told the pigs could go then, but had to be taken of set to a farm for the night then back on set and so on for the 7 days!! i explained that this would put the farm on 20 day standstill, apparently not according to camarthen!!! believe me it had been worse than this, and there's uslot with livestock calling these plonkers for advice!! so i opened me mouth and couldnt stop meself from calling him an Incompetant banker!! spelt slightly different...... ahhhh it worked!!! mind you it was followed up by asking for worcester AH HQ phone number, as by now i was clocking up 15 hours of calls and they were all still saying different!! anyway, i called worcester, but camarthen beat me by 1 minuit!!! somerset called the film company, to cover little bits like were the pigs would be and basics, then they called camarthen to reasure them it was all good to issue, caernarfon backed out when they new they were wrong to issue the snowdon licence, and worcester had now told camarthen all was good to issue the licence!!! this was yesterday........... so i called camarthen that said yep you can take them, but i wanted the paper to cover his go ahead because hed made too many balls ups allready, he reasured me the paper work would be here today, i asked him to call the owner of the pigs, as soon as it arrived as she was willing to pick the licence up from camarthen AH office straight away.
2.30 pm today still no licence and i was not a happy bunny..... i called camarthen who told me that worcester had now handed the case over to ..... wait for it.....THE WELSH ASSEMBLY!!............. according to camarthen, not many animals actualy move between wales and england!!! so it had gone to the assembly for approval!! by now the bloke was in a mass panic, and verbaly abusing him would only of caused him to have a full on panic attack i'm sure, so i just suggested that he stayed in hes office untill hed got it sorted and could ring thru that he had it
This he did I had a call at approx 6.45 pm this evening, just as i'd put the cow on to milk saying......or should i say shouting...WE GOT IT!!!
If the owner of the piggies wishes to let you know who she is then fair enough, but after the ups and downs of the last week, of sorting something that was actualy soooo basic, i'm not sure she wants too
she is a member of this forum, and has been a saint at how patient she has been, and on the od occasion has had just a little bit of swearing to contend with..... not off me of course
So we have the licence, even tho it took way longer than it normaly would, so a word of advice, Dont take your local AH word as gospel, if it doesnt seem right what they are sayin get a 2nd opinion, I had four AH, 1 of those HQ they all said different and it ended up out of there hands almost totaly!!
There will be pikis and the piggies will be on telly
Somerset AH are also going to the set on monday when they are filming to see how things are, and to check on site, living accomodation and the general handling and welfare of the pigs while they are in there new temporary abode
all i've got to do now is get them down there! hmmmm now was it wednesday or thursday

Stand your ground is all I can say.

Well Jo...I had a hard time of reading that report. As a lot of the spelling was wrong and words ran into one another, and some of it was written in the way we Londoner's speak, Cockney, most of the Welsh names were spelt wrong and no Capital letters were used in place names. No wonder you had difficulty in reading it, but I did get the jist of it. Just.

If I knew what a plonker was I'd probably know one if I saw one. :lol2: :lol2: There are some other terms that go over my head as well but from reading this and some of the other posts it sounds like moving livestock is a beaurcratic nightmare. What sticks in my mind is a person on the news at the height of the mad cow scare boasting of the wonderful system they have. Reading this sheds some different light on the subject. But the good thing is they seem to have some lax rules about making hard cider. ;-)

Permission to move an animal. What an interesting concept. I bet it is he77 to sell one. But Europe is way ahead of us socially, y'know. So I'm sure this is a good idea.

The definition I got was : "dope, idiot, moron, wally, pillock, dunderhead, dimwit."

There are a few of those I would have to look up as well.

upfrombottom":345swf87 said:
The definition I got was : "dope, idiot, moron, wally, pillock, dunderhead, dimwit."

There are a few of those I would have to look up as well.
they all mean the same thing. IDIOT...
EmoticonOops.gif
:lol2: no not you that's what they mean.

Chrisy, I read some from the link and then some more from another link embedded in that link and I think they'd toss me in jail or fine me for having more the 5 noxious weeds on my place. Guess the X was right, I ain't worth a ..... :mrgreen:

chrisy":262h3ogz said:
upfrombottom":262h3ogz said:
The definition I got was : "dope, idiot, moron, wally, pillock, dunderhead, dimwit."There are a few of those I would have to look up as well.
EmoticonOops.gif

Heh heh......their was at least one more..... :shock: :lol:

1982vett":37glpjcj said:
chrisy":37glpjcj said:
upfrombottom":37glpjcj said:
The definition I got was : "dope, idiot, moron, wally, pillock, dunderhead, dimwit."There are a few of those I would have to look up as well.
EmoticonOops.gif

Heh heh......their was at least one more..... :shock: :lol:
Yes... :shock: But this is a family board and I don't want to be struck off, thank you.

Latest posts