Do You Like Getting Older??

Help Support CattleToday:

My dad said he never wanted to live to be an old man.
I never understood it till the last few years and it scares the crap out of me
The fear of not being able to take care of myself and dependent on someone else or being a burden worries me.
I see old men stove up and crippled and I can't bear the thought being like that

I just got a lot of livin to get done with before the dyin starts. The rest doesn't matter. You can and do learn to live without all your parts working like they should all the time.

I don't care for getting older, I would like to go back 10 years and do it again. Not that I haven't loved every minute of my life, there's just so many thing I could have done different.

denvermartinfarms":3inrwsds said:
I don't care for getting older, I would like to go back 10 years and do it again. Not that I haven't loved every minute of my life, there's just so many thing I could have done different.

Dude your 21 what could you have done different at 11 ? :D
I'd give my right ... ear to be 21 again

cross_7":33pdqj7c said:
denvermartinfarms":33pdqj7c said:

I bought my first cattle at 10, alot of things I might have done different that could have me doing a little better today, not much though, I'm very happy.

cross_7":29neb132 said:
The fear of not being able to take care of myself and dependent on someone else or being a burden worries me.
I see old men stove up and crippled and I can't bear the thought being like that

Cross, I really agree with you there! My fear too!

cross_7":at0gypxy said:

I resemble the stove up old man, I still row my own boat all by myself.
I will tell you right now it aint for sissy's.
Still bear hunt just have to hunt with a switch now or find a smaller bear.

Caustic Burno":vxyv6u7j said:
cross_7":vxyv6u7j said:

I resemble the stove up old man, I still row my own boat all by myself.
I will tell you right now it aint for sissy's.
Still bear hunt just have to hunt with a switch now or find a smaller bear.

I see old men slumped over in a chair with drool running down thier chin and crapped their pants not knowing anybody, where their at or who they are and I cringe at he thought

The man I work for is in a wheel chair and can't get in and out by himself. his body is just worn out ,but his mind is sharp as ever
He has a great sense of humor but you can tell its a tough life
He was a man at one time that would give you the shirt off his back, but would give you thrashing if you crossed him.
It breaks my heart to see him like he is now

I wouldn't want to go back, would love to have the energy and strength I once had. My main problem is I'm so danged stiff, I get down on my knees to work on something and when it comes time to get up I crawl around looking for something to grab ahold of to pull myself up. I have no complaints I've been blessed at every turn and I'll keep trying to move forward till the Lord calls me.

Larry

Cross, we ALL get there sooner or later. And we ALL say that we NEVER want to live like that. And some say that they "would even shoot themselves before getting that bad."
As a Nurse, I see it everyday. But the will to live is strong! Your goals just change in life. You look forward to simple things. Like a bowl of chocolate pudding, or a smile from a child, or a good bowel movement! Not all that different from where we started from!

cross_7":31yhajd1 said:
denvermartinfarms":31yhajd1 said:

That's funny! When I was 21 there wasn't any internet to chat on that I remember. Not that I would have cared. There seemed to be so many heifers that needed corraling. I've enjoyed the ride, but am beginning to understand that at some point it will start to wind down. Have seen some mighty good ones leave way too early.

fitz

cross_7":2sflu1ic said:
denvermartinfarms":2sflu1ic said:

Not me! At 21 I thought it would get better. It got worse.
Sure don't want to travel that road again.
But I will say that about 27, 28, 29 things were pretty good. About that time a very wise man told me that I didn't know what hard was. I thought he didn't know what he was talking about. But he did.

Isomade":1mmi8oha said:
I notice the older I get the more careful I become. No longer do I feel like an undiscovered Superman.

yeah that was me....it was he77 when the krytonite kicked in........

I still don't have little girls offering to help me cross the street ......

but no one steps back when I walk up any more....

TexasBred":1bcu3s05 said:
The Question: DO YOU LIKE GETTING OLDER???
I doubt anybody likes getting older, if they say they do I'd have to call them a liar. Aging is something we all have to accept, the sooner the better, so we can get on with living and enjoying ourselves. Have seen too many people reach a certain age and just start dying....

branguscowgirl":1ya4wnql said:
The only frustrating thing about getting older, (for me) is not quite being as flexible and strong as I once was. My joints squeak and grind a bit now! Mentally, I do have a calmer more excepting attitude about myself and life. All the things that TB described!
But 29 isn't VERY old, is it! :D ;-)

I'm 29 too, been 29 for few years come to think of it

cross_7":2fdr8vqx said:
branguscowgirl":2fdr8vqx said:
The only frustrating thing about getting older, (for me) is not quite being as flexible and strong as I once was. My joints squeak and grind a bit now! Mentally, I do have a calmer more excepting attitude about myself and life. All the things that TB described!

I'm 29 too, been 29 for few years come to think of it

We're the SAME AGE! :bs:

I don't have any problem with getting :?: .................. what was it were we talking about? :help: :tiphat:

branguscowgirl":1f7jna5v said:

OK, I'll ask what no one else will, just how flexible were you? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Flexible is good.

What my aging father said to me one day not long ago - a man I used to hate - a man I would have happily run over with a truck rather than help - even if he was desparate. We buried the hatchet many years ago and he has much to my surprise and delight become a dammed good friend and a really neat guy to know. I wish I had known this man thirty years ago!

Anyways - his thoughts to me one rainy day out in my shop over a couple of beers:

Son - We are all going to kick some day. You can fight it all you want - but in the end age and death will beat you.

Some will be very young and some will be very old - most will be somewhere in the middle.

When you look in the mirror at night as you brush your teeth as long as the person looking back is ok - then you are doing well.

If that person looking back is screwed up - for whatever reason - go to bed and sleep on it.

When you get up in the morning - as you look in the mirror - now is the time to decide if the person looking back has to make a few changes for the day.

When you die - it really does matter that at least a few people think kindly of you - remember you leave a legacy - be it family, career, farm, business or whatever. It is not always money - sometimes it is simply memories. At least a few of them should be good memories.

You have a responsibility to your family to leave them - as much as possible - with happy memories.

Seems to me he is a pretty smart guy.

I am nearly 59 myself and I am not as fast and strong as I once was - but I am less afraid to make a statement and I think that is a good thing.

Although sometimes people do not always like those statements - but they are usually meant well despite the tone and the words.

When a guy about my age who I served with - Chris showed up at the house a few days ago with his wife - she had never met me. My wife had never met him or her. So there we are - two big - and he is bigger and stronger than me - old soldiers hugging and crying crocodile tears in the driveway.

Three and a half years ago was the last time I saw him - leaving on a helicopter with a bunch of tubes sticking in him, about every piece of clothing cut off of him and not much blood left in him. And I am here at the table in one piece writing because he did what he did. He stepped in and pulled me down at just the right time but was not fast enough to get down with me.

So my age gives me freedom to say and do things that would not be considered "cool" by the younger generation.

I think that I will miss the younger days and the days of strength and the days of partying and the days of being able to go without sleep for more than 24 hours - but aging allows me to be me - and that is probably something I would never have admitted 30 years ago.

Best to all

Bez