Do you keep farm "cleaned up?"

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":3255h3vo said:
Your place is a reflection of you. If your sloppy on the property your probably sloppy on the books, maintenance of equipment, ect.

I've heard statements like this all my life, and they could be true, but I'm not sure. I think it can just be a matter of personality. Personally, I think I keep the important stuff tidy, but some things just don't seem that important; it's just more for appearance.

For example, I've never been a lawn-care person, nor was anyone in my family. We never manicured our lawn so it looked like a golf course nor got bent out of shape if we didn't get to mow it on a fixed schedule, but many people do. My grandfather always said he had better thing to do than worry about a lawn, which seemed unimportant to him.

I'm that way too. So, you might pull up to my house and see that my lawn looks a little hairy and think I'm a careless slob, but I don't see it that way. That doesn't mean my cows are all walking around like skeletons with neglected pinkeye while I'm watching a Bonanza marathon. That's just one example.

For me, there are just so many things that are cosmetic in all aspects of life. We can always polish something up to look good, but there could be a mess lurking underneath. I'm probably the opposite. I may look like Fred Sanford, but the important things are taken care of.

The word "reflection" is a true word. It only shows what is on the surface, it's not an x-ray.

herofan":29awzaa7 said:
Brute 23":29awzaa7 said:
Your place is a reflection of you. If your sloppy on the property your probably sloppy on the books, maintenance of equipment, ect.

I've heard statements like this all my life, and they could be true, but I'm not sure. I think it can just be a matter of personality. Personally, I think I keep the important stuff tidy, but some things just don't seem that important; it's just more for appearance.

For example, I've never been a lawn-care person, nor was anyone in my family. We never manicured our lawn so it looked like a golf course nor got bent out of shape if we didn't get to mow it on a fixed schedule, but many people do. My grandfather always said he had better thing to do than worry about a lawn, which seemed unimportant to him.

I'm that way too. So, you might pull up to my house and see that my lawn looks a little hairy and think I'm a careless slob, but I don't see it that way. That doesn't mean my cows are all walking around like skeletons with neglected pinkeye while I'm watching a Bonanza marathon. That's just one example.

For me, there are just so many things that are cosmetic in all aspects of life. We can always polish something up to look good, but there could be a mess lurking underneath. I'm probably the opposite. I may look like Fred Sanford, but the important things are taken care of.
Some cases of that may be very true. But I agree with herofan, some of the best cattle I know of and some of the most profitable operations around here, look like dumps, there gates hang on chain and wire, they have junky corrals, and older equipment, but they put it all into cattle and make money, the appearance of there place and things to them or others is just not important.

js1234":1cgixnnn said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1cgixnnn said:
Where is your ranch located js?
Home place is in the southern end of Central California, run cows year round and buy stockers in the winter. Have another in Western Wyoming where we summer yearlings and lease (mostly BLM) a year round cow ranch in Northern Nevada.

I'd love to see some pictures of it if you ever have the time.

WELL...I WILL ADMIT IT.....
WHAT I WANT AND WHAT I CAN GET DONE ARE NOT BALANCING OUT....
I AM NOT THE MAN I USED TO BE....
HAVE BOUGHT GOATS AGAIN TO TRY TO HELP....AND THEY ARE SLOWLY SHOWING SOME PROGRESS....IF I CAN GET IT BEAT BACK SOME THEY WILL HELP TO KEEP IT BACK....
HAVE BEEN ON A CAMPAIGN LATELY BECASUSE THE ELECTRIC FENCE IS ALSO GETTING OVERGROWN....
THE RHEUMATOID MAKES USING POST HOLE DIGGERS TAMPING BARS AND CHAIN SAWS PAINFUL....SO I DO A LOT OF STEEL POSTS AND PATCHING NOW....ALL THE FENCES I PUT UP WHEN I BOUGHT THIS PLACE ARE GIVING UP RIGHT ALONG WITH ME....
I AM NOT GOING TO SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF....I HAVE FEW MORE YEARS OF DECENT LIVING AND I AIM TO TRY TO ENJOY THEM AND AM NOT GOING TO MAKE MYSELF CRAZY OVER STUFF UNDONE....

pdfangus":3vkzp7am said:
HAVE BOUGHT GOATS AGAIN TO TRY TO HELP....AND THEY ARE SLOWLY SHOWING SOME PROGRESS....IF I CAN GET IT BEAT BACK SOME THEY WILL HELP TO KEEP IT BACK....
HAVE BEEN ON A CAMPAIGN LATELY BECASUSE THE ELECTRIC FENCE IS ALSO GETTING OVERGROWN....
THE RHEUMATOID MAKES USING POST HOLE DIGGERS TAMPING BARS AND CHAIN SAWS PAINFUL....SO I DO A LOT OF STEEL POSTS AND PATCHING NOW....ALL THE FENCES I PUT UP WHEN I BOUGHT THIS PLACE ARE GIVING UP RIGHT ALONG WITH ME....
I AM NOT GOING TO SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF....I HAVE FEW MORE YEARS OF DECENT LIVING AND I AIM TO TRY TO ENJOY THEM AND AM NOT GOING TO MAKE MYSELF CRAZY OVER STUFF UNDONE....

Is your "CAPS" key locked up on ya too?

Most of our fence rows are grown up, except around the homestead. OUt in the pastures leave em the way they are for the wildlife. Oh I keep some trees cut down or trimmed up, but I dont get anal about it.

TennesseeTuxedo":121bzdo5 said:
pdfangus":121bzdo5 said:

Is your "CAPS" key locked up on ya too?

YA THINK?....
MAYBE I AM AN OLD MAN WITH BAD HANDS AND BAD EYES.

TennesseeTuxedo":1cysmsom said:
js1234":1cysmsom said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1cysmsom said:
Where is your ranch located js?
Home place is in the southern end of Central California, run cows year round and buy stockers in the winter. Have another in Western Wyoming where we summer yearlings and lease (mostly BLM) a year round cow ranch in Northern Nevada.

I'd love to see some pictures of it if you ever have the time.
I can attempt that.

Our place is far from being cleaned up. But we try and keep it up the best we can. I don't like it when my trucks need washing, or the garden has weeds in it, and the hay needs cutting. But stuff happens and sometimes you just don't have the time to get it all done.

I just keep a mental list of what i need to get done. i prioritize in order of importance and get them done when i can. If i were retired or even if my kids were older, the list wouldn't be near as long. God and family come before cows.

heath":tofb7yf0 said:
I just keep a mental list of what i need to get done. i prioritize in order of importance and get them done when i can. If i were retired or even if my kids were older, the list wouldn't be near as long. God and family come before cows.

Glad I'm not the only one around here that is....what was it....oh yes,"sloppy on the books, and doesnt take care of my equipment" :D

There is stuff that you just can't get to in one year because of time or money. I do the same with a prioritized list. Every thing is not perfect.

When you see these places where the majority of the place is run down and has been for years... They don't give a flip. Plus there is a difference between having a little of an over grown lawn because you busy or this years weeds in the fence row and having trash laying around and fences that only the hogs have seen.

but brute 23 most places you see run down an in need of repair are for a few reasons.1 the people dont care what their places look like.2 the people have the money an aint about to spend it.i know some of both places.

I have to disagree....
I do care about my place....
but I can not do the things I used to laugh at while doing them....
I am much poorer now than I was five or six years ago...so buying things I need has to be planned....
and I work the same job and am making more money....but the raises did not keep up with the prices....
I do what I can do and try to find ways to make do.....
this old age definitely ain't for sissies.....

Brute 23":2yeh146f said:
There is stuff that you just can't get to in one year because of time or money. I do the same with a prioritized list. Every thing is not perfect.

When you see these places where the majority of the place is run down and has been for years... They don't give a flip. Plus there is a difference between having a little of an over grown lawn because you busy or this years weeds in the fence row and having trash laying around and fences that only the hogs have seen.

I want to make clear that I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers, as it appears none have been, but your comments just reminded me of how a lot of people think, and it's just so different from me. If a person doesn't keep their vehicle washed often or their house spotless, a lot of people thinks that says something negative about them. And everyone has their own opinion. Actually, a hairy lawn apparently speaks volumes about a person's character to some people when it means nothing to me.

I live in an old farm-house that my grandparents had built in the 1940s, and it ain't necessarily "fixed up." I could put money in it and fix that cracked sidewalk and porch, have new sheet-rock put up on those old walls, have new carpet put in, have that vinyl rug from the 70s replaced, have the aluminum siding replaced, but then again, what would it matter? Would that change my life? I doubt it, and it wouldn't make my record book any more accurate. I am aware, however, that there are many people in my neck of the woods who judge by appearance.

generally for those who wish to judge me......
I have a spot reserved for them to give me a big old kiss....
but when I was selling bulls I had to pay more attention as people were making judgements from the time they turned in the driveway....
but then I have been know to ask people to leave my place as well...
had one guy who roared down my driveway in his Porsche and then started criticizing my cattle and offeered me a lower price than I was asking....I countered with a higher price than the original...he wnet lower...I doubled the original....finally told him he could not have the bull at any price and to please drive sensibly when he left as I didn't want to call the law on him...

Latest posts