Do we Produce Anything

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":36371yxm said:
It is really too bad Brigs and other American manufacturers can't meet the quality of Honda or Kawasaki as far as small engines go. Maybe if they did you would see more products with them.

Next to last mower I bought I specified a Kohler engine because I was so disgusted with Briggs & Stratton. Had several of those engines (B S) and they didn't last more than about 40 hours. Well, guess what, the Kohler uses so much oil I have to fill it up each time I try to use it and it's got about 50 hours on it. Thinking about hauling the mower off to the scrap metal place.

I don't think the Honda or Kawi engines are any cheaper. In fact, I think they cost a lot more than a B S. I don't buy price! I buy quality! If I have to pay more to get something that will last that's what I do. BS, Kohler, Tuchumse, are you listening? Why don't you go back to cast iron liners instead of using aluminum cylinder liners. GM tried that a few years ago and see how far that got them?

So I think Mr. Mahoney is right. If BS made a good engine I would be the first in line to get one.

Earl Thigpen":3cscffes said:
Next to last mower I bought I specified a Kohler engine because I was so disgusted with Briggs & Stratton

I have one mower with a Kohler that refused to start. Turns out that you can;t get parts for that engine and it was one of 2 models that have a problem with the valves sticking. I bought the mower because it HAD a Kohler. Won;t be making that mistake again.

Caustic Burno":26p7a6g5 said:
I bought a new Cub Cadet tiller the other day and a Cub Cadet zero turn mower last year.
Got to looking the mower has a 22 hp Kawasaki engine, the tiller has a Honda engine.
Started loking at more equipment and the generator has a Honda diesel on it.

I just wanted to ask how you like that that cub cadet zero turn mower, I think its the same one I've been looking at. 22hp kawasaki, 50 in cut ($2995. at home depot) I wanted a Koehler until I read some of these posts.

Kawasakis make a dang good mower engine. We had several encores with the Kawasaki and it was very reliable. And I don't like kawasaki ATV's, but in mower engines, they were great.

Also if you accidentally find a Honda engine on your equipment, don't fret. You just paid more for much better quality and you didn't even know it.

When comparing the mowers, compare the decks (stamped vs. welded) the engine, and gauge of frame. Deck is very important though.

cowsrus":2sual3nz said:
Caustic Burno":2sual3nz said:
I bought a new Cub Cadet tiller the other day and a Cub Cadet zero turn mower last year.
Got to looking the mower has a 22 hp Kawasaki engine, the tiller has a Honda engine.

I just wanted to ask how you like that that cub cadet zero turn mower, I think its the same one I've been looking at. 22hp kawasaki, 50 in cut ($2995. at home depot) I wanted a Koehler until I read some of these posts.

I thought I was retarded when I first bought it, ran into the barn, ran over a plum tree. Wife was standing or rolling in the yard laughing, stating you can run all this equipment and this lawnmower is eating you alive.
After I learned how to operate a zero turn I love it, cut yard work time in half, have a couple acres around the house to mow.

cowsrus":2pw2t4ee said:
Caustic Burno":2pw2t4ee said:

I bought the cub cadet zero turn with the 48" deck and a 22 Hp Briggs & Straten engine on it from a local lawn & garden cub cadet dealer. Haven't had any problems with the engine, although the belt system seems awfully fragile to me. We have some sweet gum trees in the yard and the belts just don't like little round objects, apparently. I can't tell you how many times I have had to put the belt back on. After two years, I think I have gone through about 4 belts, both the drive belt and the deck belt are a problem. I've adjusted, cleaned, cussed, cleaned, spit, scratched my head, cleaned, taken it back to the shop, etc..... but for the life of me I can't figure out why it's so dang fragile. Like CB, when the belts are working, I can finish my yard in about half the time as my old cub cadet lawn tractor (circa 1978). I do love that part, although it does take some time to get used to driving the thing.

Never had a minutes problem with my mower other than it likes gasoline real well.
Yard is full of hicker nuts and sweet gum ball's. Sounds like something is out of alignment.

Caustic Burno":n0gsn11h said:
Never had a minutes problem with my mower other than it likes gasoline real well.
Yard is full of hicker nuts and sweet gum ball's. Sounds like something is out of alignment.

Yes, that's what I thought as well. The shop that I bought it from replaced one of the pulleys but that didn't fix it. They said the deck was probably not being cleaned often enough. :roll: I tightened up the anchor bolts that hold it to the front of the frame last week. Hopefully that will work.

skyline":22aq0yo2 said:
Caustic Burno":22aq0yo2 said:

Yes, that's what I thought as well. The shop that I bought it from replaced one of the pulleys but that didn't fix it. They said the deck was probably not being cleaned often enough. :roll: I tightened up the anchor bolts that hold it to the front of the frame last week. Hopefully that will work.

Don't know if it makes a difference but I do clean the deck after each use.

Latest posts