Do we Produce Anything

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I bought a new Cub Cadet tiller the other day and a Cub Cadet zero turn mower last year.
Got to looking the mower has a 22 hp Kawasaki engine, the tiller has a Honda engine.
Started loking at more equipment and the generator has a Honda diesel on it.

I think most of what is produced comes from politicians. Hot are, empty promises, and BS!

I have pulled on a lot of ropes to start gas powered equipment. I would have to say that a honda engine is one of the easiest to start. Used a Kawasaki generator that was electric start. It was really nice too.

that goes to show you just about everything we buy is made overseas.again you can thank cheap labor overseas for everything being built over there.

Went shopping a couple of years ago for something to use around the place. Stopped and priced the Kawasaki Mule then decided to go down to the John Deere Place. The little JD Gator was really sharp. Checked the engine and it was a Kawasaki....figured I'd just go ahead and get the Kawasaki Mule since it was 1800 cheaper than the JD with same engine. Does a great job.

Stihl chainsaws and weedwhackers have made a believer of me. Good engines.

My Bobcat Welder, hydraulic rock breaker, and craftsman mower all have Kohler gasoline motors.

Caustic Burno":3nzy65y7 said:
All reasons the American dollar is sucking pond scum, we are employing everyone but Americans.

You are absolutley right CB. But it is the same thing when we all talk about it's a shame the small towns died, the ma & pa grocery stores went out of business, the same for the small gas stations and all the rest of the small businesses. Everybody was lured into the lower prices at wal-mart, k-mart, shopko and so on. I think it has all went too far. We have been sucked into a hole we will never crawl out of. JMO

It is really too bad Brigs and other American manufacturers can't meet the quality of Honda or Kawasaki as far as small engines go. Maybe if they did you would see more products with them.

I've got a Bad Boy zero turn mower from TSC. Made in America with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Not sure where the engine is made but at least it is an American company. It starts and runs great.

We use propane buffers to buff stores. Picture a lawnmower with a buffing pad on it. We buff every night. Picture running a lawnmower 5 or 6 hours a night every night 365 nights a year and 5 years of wear.

I have gotten almost the same quality out of Honda, Kawasaki, Onan, Kohler and Briggs Motors (Vanguard) not even sure were they are all made (except Honda and Kawasaki).

Problem is Briggs make some cheaper motors to put on little cheap walmart lawnmowers. Honda and Kawasaki do not do much in this cheap line. But if you spend dollar for dollar on a Briggs motor I would match them pretty close to the Honda's. Actually years ago I had more problem with Honda than any other, head gaskets kept blowing. But they made some changes and that is a thing of the past.

You may find that even a lot of what you think is made in America is really just assembled in America.
Could it be that we the working force have simply priced ourselves out of a job?
I remember very large happy families being raised in a 1500 sq. ft. house. Today a small single kid family seems to require a 3000 sq. foot house. What I really hate is that I am probably as guilty as anyone else. One day somebody may have to pay for our luxuries.

Do we produce anything? We sure do a good job of selling fast food to each other. :roll: And despite what you might think of the evil Bill Gates, Microsoft does an incredible business. Just seems that our production jobs are all leaving the country. I agree with the previous poster that we might have priced ourselves out of a job. It's sure hard to compete with someone across the big pond that makes the equivalent of $2 an hour. A person just can't live in America on the equivalent wages that those folks make. It would be kinda like trying to live in California on an East Texas wage. Not sure how you would do that either.

We produce a lot; of regulations that strangle industry growth and production, complicated tax codes that discourage young entrepreneurs from starting their own businesses, I could go on but I won't. Politicians celebrate the passage of new laws with much fan fair instead of viewing the laws for what they actually are - an erosion of our freedom. Until this mindset changes, I don't think you will see our economy do any more than the shell game its doing now until our hard-earned wealth is redistributed overseas.

When I was growing up my parents most always bought from Sears Roebuck. They were always happy with good serviceable products that were guaranteed at a reasonable price. We used to shop there also.The last purchases we made were a riding lawn mower, side-by-side refrigerator and a room a/c unit. The mower won't run most of the time, we did purchase the extended warranty but when we call Sears there is a two to three week waiting period (one time we waited 6 weeks) before they can come out to do the repairs. Who wants to wait three weeks to mow their lawns? The fridge and A/C unit haven't worked out very well either. The refrigerator (Kenmore) started falling apart about 6 weeks after we got it. Seems the internal parts are mostly plastic (shelving brackets, meat and veg baskets) and crack. The brackets come out of the side entirely. The ice maker never worked properly and before warranty ran out, Sears sent a repairman out three times to fix it. Never did fix it, and the ice maker still runs sporadically (my wife refers to it as the B52) The noise is incredible, however at least when it is making noise we know it is working. At times it goes on strike and doesn't work at all. Could go on and on, but am sure you get the picture. I rely on Consumer reports now for major purchases. :cboy:

novatech":3o2tp6u2 said:
You may find that even a lot of what you think is made in America is really just assembled in America.

That is pretty much all that blue collar workers seem to care about - assembly. It is a beef I have with the whole concept. The big money jobs in R & D remain overseas. We could use those dollars in the local economy too.

Often when you call the help line over one of those "American made" products, you get to talk to someone in India. :mad:

Computer chips.
Video games.
Entertainment. TV, Movies, etc.
Super Bowl Commercials
Lawsuits.
Political Advertising.
A boggling amount of grain and meat and produce of all kinds.
Financial Markets. USA is safe harbor for money from all over the world.

I try to buy American when I can and I'll even pay a little more for it if it's a good product. But if I can get a better product made overseas at a considerably lower cost then that's what I'm going to buy. I work too hard for my money to throw it away just to prove a point. Call me cold hearted if you want, but I feel absolutely no obligation to keep someone employed if their product isn't what I want or need.

VanC":wyob65hm said:
I try to buy American when I can and I'll even pay a little more for it if it's a good product. But if I can get a better product made overseas at a considerably lower cost then that's what I'm going to buy. I work too hard for my money to throw it away just to prove a point. Call me cold hearted if you want, but I feel absolutely no obligation to keep someone employed if their product isn't what I want or need.

I'm with you on this one. I have many many many engines that run on gas or diesel. The Briggs, Kohler, and other Americans can't hold a candle to the Hondas and Kawasakis. It breaks my heart to admit that too, trust me. I can just imagine employees like mine (todays generation who could give a hoot about earning a living) building American products. When I think of this, it makes me feel like thats why our products are getting inferior.

~

" Made In Vermont"

Bag Balm
Maple Syrup
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream
Cabot Cheese
Water Buffalo Yogurt
Green Mountain Salsa
King Arthur Flour
Grafton Cheese
TailGait Farm Grass Fed Beef
Vermont Teddy Bears
John Deere ( was born in VT--thats why his tractors are Green.)

More products at:

http://www.vermontdirectories.com/products.html

Latest posts