Do not walk up on me !!!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":19szef5f said:
millstreaminn":19szef5f said:
Trying to talk my female cousin that lives alone to keep a loaded gun in the house.
She's paranoid that someone will break in but refuses to protect herself. :roll:
Good for her for knowing better and standing her ground on it.
Arming the paranoid results in them shooting the dog when the cat knocks over a lamp.
Some (many) people should not be armed and if they know who they are, why try to convince them otherwise.

This is where we disagree every student in the USA with the exception of mental ill should be taught firearm safety and how to safely operate a firearm in HS.
Not opposed too requiring two years military service either.

Caustic Burno":2pcmkerl said:
Son of Butch":2pcmkerl said:
millstreaminn":2pcmkerl said:
Trying to talk my female cousin that lives alone to keep a loaded gun in the house.
She's paranoid that someone will break in but refuses to protect herself. :roll:
Arming the paranoid results in them shooting the dog when the cat knocks over a lamp.
Some (many) people should not be armed and if they know who they are, why try to convince them otherwise.

This is where we disagree every student in the USA with the exception of mental ill should be taught firearm safety and how to safely operate a firearm in HS.
One of the few things we don;t agree on. There are those that just aren;t emotionally capable of dealing with a firearm for self protection. No amount of training can change that brain wiring in some. Also the john wayne mindset in some makes me glad they don;t own a firearm. Saw way too much of both when I had the shop.
Now the mandatory military for all I can get on board with.

Caustic Burno":29hc79fo said:
Son of Butch":29hc79fo said:
millstreaminn":29hc79fo said:

She recently took and passed a firearms safety course offered by one of the local gun clubs. She then went out and bought herself a 9mm Smith and Wesson M&P pistol and some self defense rounds. She leaves the gun at her parents house and has never fired it.

dun":27nl1bts said:
Caustic Burno":27nl1bts said:
Son of Butch":27nl1bts said:

One of the few things we don;t agree on. There are those that just aren;t emotionally capable of dealing with a firearm for self protection. No amount of training can change that brain wiring in some. Also the john wayne mindset in some makes me glad they don;t own a firearm. Saw way too much of both when I had the shop.
Now the mandatory military for all I can get on board with.

Should be taught in school. They don't have to own a gun just be taught how to handle it safely. And I like the military idea.

The military idea sounds good at first but... In the past he military was sometimes an option between that and a jail sentence, and basically anyone that wanted to sign up was accepted. Today's military is much different; they are looking for intelligent and motivated people. Not everyone that wants to get in is accepted, especially if you want a particular job/career. And who do you want defending us? An army full of people that volunteered to serve their country or one that is full of people forced into it begrudgingly? Who would you want next to you in a critical situation? Their is a reason we have the best Army/Navy/AF/Marines in the world and I think a big part of it is because everyone there wants to be there.

ChrisB":5e2vlga6 said:
The military idea sounds good at first but... In the past he military was sometimes an option between that and a jail sentence, and basically anyone that wanted to sign up was accepted. Today's military is much different; they are looking for intelligent and motivated people. Not everyone that wants to get in is accepted, especially if you want a particular job/career. And who do you want defending us? An army full of people that volunteered to serve their country or one that is full of people forced into it begrudgingly? Who would you want next to you in a critical situation? Their is a reason we have the best Army/Navy/AF/Marines in the world and I think a big part of it is because everyone there wants to be there.

Everyone needs to be drafted into the military. Every kid will learn to work, listen, get up in the morning, proper hygiene, respect for their elders, and for their country. The military is better than jail for sure.

The military still needs truck drivers, cooks, dishwashers, people driving fork lifts, and other jobs lower skilled jobs. If all young people are drafted that might be more bodies than needed. After a basic training those not sent to further military training could be in a military form of the old CCC to do improvement projects around the country.

ChrisB":7s0lt7wz said:
Let a WWII event break out again and they will take everyone capable of being a bullet sponge from 16 to 45 just like WWII all 12 million plus.

I disagree with the mandatory military. There are a lot of occupations/professions just as useful as the military.
There are still a lot of good kids out there who know how to get up in the morning, work, respect authority, etc. I would guess that some of them have been on CT. I would also guess there are some parents on here that have kids that are better than what the government can turn out. It is just that you don't hear about them. Why should they be penalized just to shape up the no-count ones?
This is not Hitler's Germany and I hope it never is.
In a time of war is another story.

As to guns there is a woman I had been trying encourage to get a gun for protection.
I finally realized that a gun is not going to work for her. She has no interest and does not have the right attitude for gun ownership. I hope she never is in a situation to need a gun and would probably be worse off if she did have one.

True Grit Farms":2euvxa0b said:
Everyone needs to be drafted into the military.
Every kid will learn to work, listen, get up in the morning, proper hygiene, respect for their elders, and for their country.

Absolutely and the earlier the better, say 7 or 8 years of age like the Spartans did.
Parents of today can't be trusted to raise children properly. It's about time the government took over
parenting completely.

Ryder":eoqr2fs7 said:
I disagree with the mandatory military. There are a lot of occupations/professions just as useful as the military.
There are still a lot of good kids out there who know how to get up in the morning, work, respect authority, etc. I would guess that some of them have been on CT. I would also guess there are some parents on here that have kids that are better than what the government can turn out. It is just that you don't hear about them. Why should they be penalized just to shape up the no-count ones?

As to guns there is a woman I had been trying encourage to get a gun for protection.
I finally realized that a gun is not going to work for her. She has no interest and does not have the right attitude for gun ownership. I hope she never is in a situation to need a gun and would probably be worse off if she did have one.

If they don't give at least 2 years of service to the government in the form of the CCC or military they shouldn't be able to get student loans backed by the US Government.
Shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat too.

Ryder":233l9b19 said:

She should look into getting a taser.

ChrisB":2zp1er1o said:

As a nine year veteran, with a son and son-in-law in the military, I can tell you that few sign up to "serve their country". It's more about getting benefits, or playing soldier or pilot or whatever.

I do think everyone should be in the military, and exposed to combat, because then we wouldn't be fighting stupid wars 6,000 miles away and claim we are fighting for our freedom.

In fact, the Iraq War is estimated to cost us $6 trillion after lifetime care of the maimed and debilitated young men. Not to mention many kids whose dad is dead or a vegetable or deranged and now broken families.

Best in my mind to send over older guys to drive convoys and get their legs blown off and brains scrambled. Including politicians who get us into these messes. If Dick Cheney can hunt ducks, he can shoot at Arabs.

I'm guessing if was such a requirement, he wouldn't have tried so hard to start that war. He had nothing to lose.

TennesseeTuxedo":36zxx8qb said:
Yup, next time we get hit with a 9/11 type event I hope we just turn the other cheek and take it.
Yeah, I'm sure glad we attacked Saudi Arabia because of all those terrorists from there, oh wait, what??? You say we invaded Iraq instead? Now, what did they have to do with 911 again?

Kell-inKY":35ae28mk said:
TennesseeTuxedo":35ae28mk said:
Yup, next time we get hit with a 9/11 type event I hope we just turn the other cheek and take it.
Yeah, I'm sure glad we attacked Saudi Arabia because of all those terrorists from there, oh wait, what??? You say we invaded Iraq instead? Now, what did the have to do with 911 again?

You for or against what's about to go down in North Korea? How about Iran obtaining nukes?

We are about 30 minutes from Killeen Texas.
And the largest inland military base in the world(may not be anymore ide) spent a lot of time working in Killeen, on ft.hood, and have had plenty of young men who have just discharged as employees.
About the only thing I can tell they learned. Is they have the unique ability to instantly go to sleep and grab a nap anywhere, anytime..including standing. I've seen no difference in discipline, hygiene or dependability.
Just the truth..

Latest posts