Do Blizzards trigger calving?

Help Support CattleToday:

sjr725

Reaction score
After hardly any snow this winter and very mild temps.... Our cows were supposed to start calving about a week ago and nothing - until night before last snowing, cold windy and we had 23 new babies! Then last night, even colder, and windy with lots of snow 31 more! This morning I rode out about 5am in blowing snow and snowing so hard I could hardly find the dumb cows! and I tagged 7 more and another bunch of cows are laying down in the willows by the creek (one of their favorite maternity ward spots) I'll go back out again as soon as I get a bit more coffee and warm my backside by the stove - left my horse saddled in the barn to have his breakfast and then we'll be back at it. just seems that they never calve during a nice break in the winter - they wait til the worst weather of the year to go!

I think my mommas are just trying to get even for fencing them in. As soon as it gets cold they start dropping. I could have swore she was lauging at me last night. :lol:

I've always thought barometric pressure affected migraines but it may very well affect calving.... its also a full moon tomorrow and of course everyone has their own beliefs but it seems to me that babies are born more times around a full moon

mine have fooled me again, four heifers calved in 5 days. skipped the day it snowed 4 inches, had one today with snow on the ground.

sjr725":2ulatsti said:
After hardly any snow this winter and very mild temps.... Our cows were supposed to start calving about a week ago and nothing - until night before last snowing, cold windy and we had 23 new babies! Then last night, even colder, and windy with lots of snow 31 more! This morning I rode out about 5am in blowing snow and snowing so hard I could hardly find the dumb cows! and I tagged 7 more and another bunch of cows are laying down in the willows by the creek (one of their favorite maternity ward spots) I'll go back out again as soon as I get a bit more coffee and warm my backside by the stove - left my horse saddled in the barn to have his breakfast and then we'll be back at it. just seems that they never calve during a nice break in the winter - they wait til the worst weather of the year to go!

Whats the temperature out there? How are the calves doing in the cold and snow/

about 30 degrees suppose to be cold for a week. high mid 20's lows in the teens. here it doesn't stay cold long a few days and then above freezing. i like the south cold passes on thru and doesn't settle in.
i have 9 heifers to go

I will probably get lots of opposition but............wouldn't this be a really good example of why it's better to calve in the spring?

movin' on":2v2yag1h said:
I will probably get lots of opposition but............wouldn't this be a really good example of why it's better to calve in the spring?

No opposition from me, but are you saying that Kansas doesn't have blizzards in the spring? :eek: I seem to recall quite a few weather reports to the contrary over the years.

Yes, it is possible to have a blizzard in the spring. However...
1.) The chances of a blizzard are considerably if not drastically lower.

2.) The average temperature for April versus Jan/Feb is considerably higher.

3.) If the very rare April blizzard comes through it will be a very short time before the warm spring weather is back.

movin' on":3kntehb9 said:
Yes, it is possible to have a blizzard in the spring. However...
1.) The chances of a blizzard are considerably if not drastically lower.

2.) The average temperature for April versus Jan/Feb is considerably higher.

3.) If the very rare April blizzard comes through it will be a very short time before the warm spring weather is back.
Since the original post is made by someone from Montana, I'm guessing he needs to have the calves big enough to brand and vaccinate before moving to summer grazing.

Talk about cold weather calving, I locked up three cows today. [sort of inside] Lots of straw, no heat. Lows -30 next few nights.
How do you think they will do?

I totally agree with Cert - drop in barametric pressure will get them spitting them out.
I would much rather fight the cold than the MUD. In the winter, there are very few "bugs". If you can get them up & going, than they are generally home free.
In the spring, you get them up & going & pretty soon they are mud balls, freezing in 35-45 wet weather. No thank you. Not out here anyway.
But, each cow is able to calve in the barn. NY has a wicked moist/high humidity cold winter. Way too hard on them outside, even if you have areas for them to get out of the wind.

Latest posts