Diversification For Extra Income.

Help Support CattleToday:

Raising Pine Trees and timber on the other property. There's not much fun in watching trees grow but a heck of lot less work and the trees don't need to be looked after every day.

Also have another fulltime job that I actually get a paycheck twice a month. Has insurance, retirement pay, benefits, etc.............

I deal in a few Antique Farm and Feed signs,Cold drink Co. signs, and Farm Equipment. It all adds up to that bottom line, plus it's fun.

We raise and sell hay, do other peoples hay for shares or cash - if shares, depending on the the quality and type, it usually gets sold. Dad also drives truck locally, hauling grain, hay, etc.

Have three mammoth jacks I stud out to raise mules, keeps me busy all summer . Tranqulize cattle for the public, Trade horses, Plus work 50 hours a week for Municipal Utility Board.( Water Department)

Engineering full time, quarry stone on the side as a hobby. Farming for fun. Watching the derricks punch holes in the ground and watching investments and the stock market tease me. Selling hay a bit now too. Need more cattle but I may just keep on selling hay instead.

Roast the pig on Saturdays - you won't get rich but it's pretty fun. We also haul a little junk to the flea market on Sunday afternoon - stuff we've picked up at storage auctions.
Again, not planning my retirement on it but you meet some real characters.

Manufacture soil amendments for organic/sustainable ag. Custom spraying. Selling hay,pecans, black walnuts, blackberries.

Have raised produce in the past but not sure if I will here. I really thought that I would have had a larger response to this question.

Lawn care, firewood, custom farming (baling, planting, fencing, work cattle, hauling, ect.) Almost anything someone says they need done or help with that pays $$$.

Chicken houses-confinment opperation doesn't take up much land.
Also I get fertilizer out of it.

Dogs-- use them on the calves. Sell started and trained dogs along with pups - also some custom training.

Firewood-- figure to make a killing this year !
Need to clean up the fencelines anyhow- and we clean out junk trees . My son has been selling it- He charges by what kind of car they drive :)

Timber- Old natural stands and some planted pines

I always tell people that I farm full time and I have a job that takes up the additional 50 or 60 hours a week of my spare time. Besides that, I own a couple of rental properties in town that I am fixing up to resell.

The big thing around here seems to be pumpkins and gourds as a seasonal...Christmas trees...there is always paper routes, rummage sales and then the purchase of scrap for resale.

Berries and nuts take a little time and coaxing, but have heard that expecially if you go organic, no pesticide and just ignore them, people will come out the wood work and come to a "u pick farm".

The organic thing has finally hit here in the midwest, every aisle in the grocery store has a designated "organic" section. I might add is at both ends of every aisle...and i can not believe the number of people who will pay triple for the stuff. whole other discussion i think. Donna

We do some trucking when the trucks aren't busy on the farm. (gravel, sand, etc.) Also do some dozer and backhoe work. Boone

Latest posts