Disposition

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Disposition is important in my operation where I handle my cows and calves a lot. I started halter training this week. Today was their third time in halters. This is a very well behaved group. My best group yet. Only one is unruly. Bucks, brawls, bawls, falls, and rolls. His brother from last year out of the same cow had the same behavior. He ended up going to the feeder folks.

BTW: The Cowboy Cut calves are excellent in disposition. Add that as another big plus for that bull.
fxxu03.jpg

309ojev.jpg

You should see my little sister halter breaking her lambs. Those little things are funny. Jumping, rearing, and flopping on their side

TennesseeTuxedo":bkfdrs2r said:
That's just sad.

TT, it sure helps to be able to treat them if they get coccidia, scours or pneumonia. This is the healthiest bunch I have had. But with weather like it has been, you never know. Lots of folks up here are really battling fall scours. Some are losing some big numbers of calves.

It is remarkable how they now are starting to come into the facility on their own will. In a couple weeks, I will put a hot wire up so the calves will separate themselves.

But the main reason I do it is so I can get them in sales that require your stock to be halter broke.

Scours are easy to treat. 10cc of Baytril and it's byebye scours. And yeah, I know that's off label use.......but it's better than letting one die. Thankfully I haven't had any problems in about 5 years so it's a non issue for the most part.

JMJ Farms":3nizqsqr said:
Scours are easy to treat. 10cc of Baytril and it's byebye scours. And yeah, I know that's off label use.......but it's better than letting one die. Thankfully I haven't had any problems in about 5 years so it's a non issue for the most part.
Is that 10cc for any weight? One 'n done?

TennesseeTuxedo":pavds7xl said:
Please don't turn the bull I'm getting into a pampered pet. My cows won't respect him.

Your cows have never been serviced by a Gentleman. They will worship the ground he paws on!!! Lol

JMJ Farms":3fx8ilwg said:
We treated our first case yesterday as you said, we added 1cc multi min, and half a bolus. He had the runs and my wife has been reading CT and panicked.

TCRanch":3r6kr7tp said:
JMJ Farms":3r6kr7tp said:
Is that 10cc for any weight? One 'n done?

That's what I do on calves under 500. No matter the weight. But again, full disclosure, it is 100% off label.

Bright Raven":1qhmdz42 said:
Disposition is important in my operation where I handle my cows and calves a lot.

BTW: The Cowboy Cut calves are excellent in disposition. Add that as another big plus for that bull.
fxxu03.jpg
Since you introduced your calves as each was born, you should also identify each in your 'police style' photo lineups.

True Grit Farms":16ubcp2u said:
JMJ Farms":16ubcp2u said:
We treated our first case yesterday as you said, we added 1cc multi min, and half a bolus. He had the runs and my wife has been reading CT and panicked.

When I had some bottle calves years ago I used to try everything. Pepto Bismol, boluses, something else bet gave me. Sometimes scours is caused by the milk being super rich if the cow is on a really good diet with lots of protein. As long as it's not infectious scours it's not as worrisome. I tend to worry too much at times myself as well.

JMJ Farms":vmb2qkua said:
True Grit Farms":vmb2qkua said:
JMJ Farms":vmb2qkua said:

When I had some bottle calves years ago I used to try everything. Pepto Bismol, boluses, something else bet gave me. Sometimes scours is caused by the milk being super rich if the cow is on a really good diet with lots of protein. As long as it's not infectious scours it's not as worrisome. I tend to worry too much at times myself as well.

Mike

So true. It gets confusing for anyone as to whether it is a serious infectious disease or just an adjustment to milk and later forage. I rarely have serious infectious scours.

As a precaution, when I see real loose bowels, I use the oxytetracycline bolus. It is 500 mg per 100 weight of calf. They work well here. I have not had to use an injectable.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2x8flyaz said:
Ron, we have the same steel building!
What is the age range on these calves? 1st born to last. They look really good for fall born babies.

Thank you. They range in age from September 1 to October 20. I am happy they have done so well given the weather.

Same age as mine 9-1 to 10-31. Do you halter the steers?
Put a sire on the calves in order, so we can tell who's who. How much do they weigh? Oh yeah, you don't know! LOL
I don't know the weight of mine either, because they have not needed to be put thru the chute.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ianowaw said:
Same age as mine 9-1 to 10-31. Do you halter the steers?
Put a sire on the calves in order, so we can tell who's who. How much do they weigh? Oh yeah, you don't know! LOL
I don't know the weight of mine either, because they have not needed to be put thru the chute.
I halter everything.   It is easier to run the entire group in the sweep than it is to separate.  Top picture - left to right , I will list the Name they are registered under and the Sire:
fxxu03.jpg

Just her head, Cowgirl Princess, heifer, Cowboy Cut
Leukorhinus, bull, Upgrade
Price's Big Bertha, Heifer, Broadway
King of the Night, Bull, Cowboy Cut
Grand Prix, Heifer,  Grandmaster
Summer Night, Bull, HPF Optimizer

Second picture:
309ojev.jpg

Night Force, Bull, Lock N Load 1143Y
You can barely see the back- Cowboy Bart, Bull, Cowboy Cut
Next is the unruly one - Star's Bullet, Bull, Lock N Load 1143Y
Next is one of the youngest and the smallest BW (69), Cowgirl Anne, Heifer, Cowboy Cut
Cowgirl Princess, Heifer, Cowboy Cut

The others are listed in the first picture. There are 3 that did not get in. Plus one is just out of the frame - Cowgirl Queen, Heifer, Cowboy Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts