Oxen Disposition

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
The oxen I have been looking at are derived from the breeding of Durham and Longhorn cattle. The Durham is the main bloodline in these big cattle. They are about 68 inches tall and weigh over 2000 pounds.

Chuckie raised an issue about the ring in their nose. It got me thinking about their disposition. The ring according to Gerry is like an emergency brake. It is there if you need it but you never do.

Here is what struck me: They are very obedient. They are broke to voice commands and hand signals. They lay down and get up to commands. They are guided like a plow horse: Whoa, gee, and haw.

Now you turn to the left when I say gee,
You turn to the right when I say haw,
Now gee, ya ya little baby,
Now haw, ya oh baby, oh baby, pretty baby.

They are very loyal. Love attention. Great around children.

In comparison to a horse like a Belgian which my Dad had his entire life (and Belgians we had were like puppy dogs). They are less nervous. More laid back. Slow, like slow motion. They never jump or react to things that seem to disturb a horse.

Chuckie was wondering if they would get up and move off if the ring was not in their nose. I am told by Gerry that when he puts one down, they will stay until told to get up. He often has to slap them on the back and he will say, "time to go to work." Then they slowly get up and he commands them to move into position to receive their yoke.
vpeu6f.jpg

Latest posts