diseases in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What type of diseases are cattle most likely to come down with in sothern Oklahoma and nothern Texas.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I would say blackleg. There’s not a reason in the world to not vaccinate for blackleg. It’s cheap/fast/easy and the best insurance you can buy. Everybody knows this but every year there’s always somebody that will loose livestock to this completely preventable disease. No excuse for it. I know a couple of people who never vaccinate and say they’ve never lost a calf. If you go without vaccinating for blackleg your stock are going to get it. Period. The question is not if, it’s when.

Craig-TX
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Respiratory infections, blackleg, anaplasmosis.

> What type of diseases are cattle
> most likely to come down with in
> sothern Oklahoma and nothern
> Texas.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

We're in Texas Panhandle on US 83 next door to OK. We vaccinate calves 2X for all calfhood diseases. Then, yearly boosters. We use (at present) Ultrabac 7, Cattle 4, and the Pasteurella, etc. vaccine. Spend probably not more than $15 a year on vaccinations + Vet required Bangs on heifers before 12 mos. old. VERY CHEAP INSURANCE!!!

We're also in process of initial TAHC procedures, testing, for a TB & Brucellosis Certifed free herd (for 2005). Takes 2 separate test protocols one year apart and then yearly testing to maintain a Certified free status in Texas.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

all purebred & seedstock producers in texas will be required to test for tb this year.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

What is involved in the TB test? I guess you would either have to haul your cattle to the vet or pen them at your place and have the vet come out and test? I guess they draw blood and send off to lab?

*************

> all purebred & seedstock
> producers in texas will be
> required to test for tb this year.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> What type of diseases are cattle
> most likely to come down with in
> sothern Oklahoma and nothern
> Texas.

I would be very concerned about any feline related disorders. The LSU FIGHTING TIGERS seem to have passed on a serious case of OK blight. Fans heading home from New Orleans thru Texas may transmit it through stomach disorders. (Black Power) Nebraskans are immune since they have had the blight for some time now...Be careful!!!



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

The vet gives a shot beside the tailhead and it has to be "read" 72 hours later. We usually take our bulls in for the shot and the vet drops by about 72 hours later and "reads" them (looks at the site of the injection for any response). You don't want a response.

> What is involved in the TB test? I
> guess you would either have to
> haul your cattle to the vet or pen
> them at your place and have the
> vet come out and test? I guess
> they draw blood and send off to
> lab?

> *************
 
OP
A

Anonymous

texas is trying to regain it's tb-free status, thus the testing. because of this, the testing is free. we're planning to have the vet come out when we work our calves in april.....that way we don't have to pen them just for the tb testing & also, our cows will be through calving & we won't be working heavy bred cows through the chute. all testing should be done by sept 2004.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

That's a good, concise correct answer!

On the other side of the picture, to obtain State Certification as a TB & Brucellosis free herd in Texas the Vet has to be an "approved" certified Vet by the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC). Otherwise, a "regular" Vet can do the routine TB Test.

Just wanted to add this comment for reference.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> I would be very concerned about
> any feline related disorders. The
> LSU FIGHTING TIGERS seem to have
> passed on a serious case of OK
> blight. Fans heading home from New
> Orleans thru Texas may transmit it
> through stomach disorders. (Black
> Power) Nebraskans are immune since
> they have had the blight for some
> time now...Be careful!!!

Don't forget- the Longhorns get their booster shot every October around State Fair time also!
 
Top