Disc Mowers?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a 90 hp tractor, but I like using a smaller tractor to get around in some of the places. IMO a 9 ft is to heavy for a 60 hp tractor to carry as I looked at a 8 ft mower and it could be all 60 hp wants. On the limb thing I could not believe it either but it happened as somehow it got between the disks as my Agco does not have a slip clutch. Talk about proud of parts as I almost junked it when the dealer told me the price, but I have used it a couple years now. Putting the disc mower back together I figured would be a breeze, but timing those gears a manual is needed.
I have had some things happen, that I would swear couldn't happen to anyone else. I had a little 6.5 ft new holland that I wish I would have kept, don't remember the model but it was sure handy 40 hp pulled it fine but speed was compromised a little.

I have a 90 hp tractor, but I like using a smaller tractor to get around in some of the places. IMO a 9 ft is to heavy for a 60 hp tractor to carry as I looked at a 8 ft mower and it could be all 60 hp wants. On the limb thing I could not believe it either but it happened as somehow it got between the disks as my Agco does not have a slip clutch. Talk about proud of parts as I almost junked it when the dealer told me the price, but I have used it a couple years now. Putting the disc mower back together I figured would be a breeze, but timing those gears a manual is needed.
So when you say all the smaller tractor wants do you mean HP or tipping wieght??

So when you say all the smaller tractor wants do you mean HP or tipping wieght??
With fluid in the tires I don't think tipping would be a huge concern, but it may get bogged down cutting thick hay. I use a 85hp tractor mostly and have had to gear down in really thick hay

HP is probably useable in most hay and being careful with the top heavy mower in transport it can be used, but both are borderline IMO and from experience. I prefer an 8 ft bar for the tractors to be used on.

Last edited:

Latest posts