disappointment of losing a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Old_man_emu

Reaction score
I have been watching one particular heifer for weeks. She was purchased last year and the details on joining and calving were a little light on.
I thought she was close but wouldn't not have been surprised if she held out another week. I checked her yesterday morning and thought her udder was still soft, softer than the day before and she wasn't restless or giving me any reason to be concerned.
I arrived this morning and was excited to find her off on her own. I went for a look and thought today is the day then left her alone to check my other cattle. On the way across the paddock I found a big white calf dead under the fence half in the next paddock!
The heifer is 2 and half y/o well grown, and was the best animal in the group. She is a grey charolais angus cross and the sire was supposed to be an angus heifer bull, but I later found out it was possible she had an ET calf in her. Now given that the calf was BIG pure white calf that she was carrying an embryo! Its kind of annoying that she was sold to me by a registered breeder as a heifer in calf to a heifer bull but now its looks like she wasn't and that was possible the reason for her losing the calf.
What a rant!
Brad.

Thing is, he contacted the sale agent and trying to track me down because they had other heifers that had been implanted but thought they didn't take because some preg tested them as in calf to the bull but they started calving real early, not to the bull but embryo calves.
I heard they do there own preg testing, so I wonder how many mistakes are made within there operation each year. They have breed some good cattle but the place has been let go for a while now and I have little faith in buying cattle from them again.

Didn't the calf die because the heifer gave birth up against a fence that the calf could get stuck under? How is that the fault of the breed or size of the calf?

I assume the calf died because it was a number 5 calf coming out of a number 3 hole if you know what I mean.
It was probably a fox that dragged the calf under the fence. The bottom wire on the fence isn't that low that calf would get stuck and die as a result.
If someone sold you angus heifer that was supposed to be in calf to a hereford bull but have birth to a big belgium blue calf and that calf died as the result of a difficult birth, would you be annoyed?