Different foods...

Help Support CattleToday:

There's apparently a trick to cooking possum and coon. My granny would cook a coon instead of turkey for Thanksgiving. Possum has been popular for generations. Fun read about a local club and how it all started.
When i was around 10 years old. Me and 3 other boys would catch the school bus across from an old log barn.

We had found 3 or 4 steel traps in their grand fathers barn. Trapping was popular back then. Opossum hides would fetch around $ 10 a hide sometimes.

Us boys set thoes traps in the old log barn toward the end of summer and would catch a opossum every other day or so. We would skin it, stretch its hide on a board. Chunk the carkus into the brush.

We would check our traps every morning while waiting on the school bus. Clean our opossum when we got home from school.

Thoes boys had an aunt Marry. She was a big fat woman. She pulled up in the boys grand parents drive way, stopped at the little garage where we were cleaning a opossum.

She ask what we were doing and we told her cleaning opossums that we had trapped.

Man you talking about a happy woman !!! You would have thought she hit the lottery !!! Wanted to know what we were going to do with the karkus .

Told her we only wanted the hides to sale. She told us if we would gut and wash the karkus up to cook she would give us $ 1 for every opossum we would bring to her.

All us boys could think was chi ching ! Chi ching ! We were in the bucks.

So we went a head cleaned the two opossums we were cleaning and fixed her right up !!!

A couple days passed and we hadn't caught nothing. We had 4 or 5 in a pile we had caught a week or so before we had a place to sale them at ( their aunt Mary)

Then it was like a light bulb had came on !!! I mean after all it was early fall, late summer, did get fairly cool during the night. Thoes old green flies weren't too terribly bad when it warmed up during the day.

Outside of a little bit of a gage reflex that all of us boys got while gutting thoes ripe week or so old Opossums. We managed to get them cleaned and washed up !!! LOL !!! Why you could barely smell them and wouldn't even have noticed the smell if you were trying to detect the smell ? Lol !!!

But now let me tell you this. That happened 50 years ago and I can smell thoes ripe opossums today by just telling the story about what happened !!! Lol !

I know it sounds a little bad doing something like we did. But we were just little boys trying to earn a dollar !!!

I think between the 4 of us boys we made almost a couple dollars a peace !!! Aunt Marry went on and on about how good thoes opossums were !!! Wanted more if we caught anymore !!!

But fact of the matter was after having cleaned thoes ripe week old opossums kind of done it for our trapping opossums !!!

Sort of put an end to our opossum meat saling business. Best I can remember we even chunked the hides and couldn't stomach trying to sale them either !!!

I guess letting thoes opossums lay out for that week or so was sort of like letting a beef hang in a locker for a while ???

Because Aunt Marry ask us a few times when we were going to catch her some more opossums ??? So i guess she was happy with our product !!! Lol !!!

As I child I remember my grandmother making souse from hog heads. She liked the brains too, but I don't remember ever eating brains.
Calf, lamb, hog fries all make for a fine meal. Used to be a local turkey processor and folks could get turkey fries from but that was before my time. I've eaten lamb, mutton and goat. I had relatives that lived in western KY and when visiting them lots of times we would eat barbecue, go which I would get mutton as we didn't have that readily around home in east KY.

Do ya'll have barbecue now in Eastern Kentucky or is it a Western Kentucky thing?

The right parts of kangaroo cooked the right way are good to eat. Got a mate and also a guy who used to work for me who both used to go bush and drop camels and cut out the back straps to eat, reckon it was really good meat. I'd give it a go. They did the same with wild horses but said it wasn't as good as camel.

Do ya'll have barbecue now in Eastern Kentucky or is it a Western Kentucky thing?
We have one small barbecue restaurant downtown now. May be some in Lexington I'm not sure. Nothing like the ones in Owensboro though. When we used to visit my aunt and uncle in Owensboro we usually ate at a barbecue place there, because we didn't have anything like those here.

All the offals from livestock, harvester termites, Mopane caterpillars, swarming grasshoppers and locusts amongst other foods common when visiting friends in their tribal homes. Eaten most game meats including elephant, hippo, zebra, warthog etc and the usual snake and baboon during army bush survival training Lol.

Pufferfish- one of my most adventurous... Other than that grew up in Northern MN with turtle, squirrel, possum, and rabbit. My grandma could stuff of pigs gut and make it so tender you'd cry and her quail and duck were to die for. Currently we raise cattle, but have in the past done goats, buffalo, and sheep. Nothing too adventurous- other than as a horse lover- In Canada I have eaten horse...

We have one small barbecue restaurant downtown now. May be some in Lexington I'm not sure. Nothing like the ones in Owensboro though. When we used to visit my aunt and uncle in Owensboro we usually ate at a barbecue place there, because we didn't have anything like those here.

Interesting. We have barbecue joints on every corner. They say that moonlite barbecue in Owensboro is really good. We always ate at The Briarpatch when in Owensboro.
Funny kind of story. We used to buy bbq from Brewers BBQ. I just called them Brewers brothers. They would set up just different places parks, parking lots, festivals, ect. Really good bbq. 😋One day we saw some people cooking at this park thought it was them was going to get some bbq. We got all pumped up for bbq. Turned out to be a black people family reunion. We were the only white folks. Didn't matter to us we just wanted some bbq. 😎

Interesting. We have barbecue joints on every corner. They say that moonlite barbecue in Owensboro is really good. We always ate at The Briarpatch when in Owensboro.
Funny kind of story. We used to buy bbq from Brewers BBQ. I just called them Brewers brothers. They would set up just different places parks, parking lots, festivals, ect. Really good bbq. 😋One day we saw some people cooking at this park thought it was them was going to get some bbq. We got all pumped up for bbq. Turned out to be a black people family reunion. We were the only white folks. Didn't matter to us we just wanted some bbq. 😎
When we ate in Owensboro it was usually at The Moonlite, they have a large buffet. If we were getting barbecue to take home then we got it from Old Hickory. It is a good place to eat too, in my opinion the meat is better at OH but they are a smaller restaurant and not as much seating.
The barbecue restaurant in our town is owned and ran by a black man. He puts on a good meal, and is a real nice guy to talk with. We had a Dickies Barbeque in town too for a few years. We were sad when it closed down,

Happy's delicious. It's a small place in Paducah. I just love Uncle Happy and his stories. I call him Uncle Happy he is like family. Yea, I tend to give people nicknames, all my neighbors have nicknames most don't have a clue about them either. 😉 Now the house we own in HOA some them neighbors nicknames.... 🙋🏽‍♀️ I can't stand when somebody stand and stares when your working on something. 😡🤬 It's one thing if you know the person and they are standing around talking. It's completely different when they just stand to stare all freaking day. Different type of folks.... 🥸 I got off Subject...

I don't guess anyone has mentioned frog legs and turkey fries. Thoes are both good. And fresh water eel also good.

Was on a elk hunting trip by myself one time and had only packed in MRE's thinking I could actually live off only them for 4 weeks. After two weeks living off them in a back country wilderness area. I couldn't hardly stand eating them anymore. I was tring to fabricate a fish trap to catch some brook trout but didn't work. Gave some serious thought about shooting a marmoth and eating it. Guess it was good that i didn't try that. Read just recently you can get some type of disease from eating them.

I have eaten horse, mountain lion, bobcat, muskrat, beaver, raccoon, lots of clams and oysters, things out of the ocean which would be difficult to describe, raw salmon, a robin, mountain oysters cooked on a branding stove, and lots of other things which I can't remember.
I have a friend who always say the difference between what you will eat and what you won't eat is about 24 hours. Not many people in this country have gone that long with an empty stomach.

I have eaten horse, mountain lion, bobcat, muskrat, beaver, raccoon, lots of clams and oysters, things out of the ocean which would be difficult to describe, raw salmon, a robin, mountain oysters cooked on a branding stove, and lots of other things which I can't remember.
I have a friend who always say the difference between what you will eat and what you won't eat is about 24 hours. Not many people in this country have gone that long with an empty stomach.
Muskrat and beaver ? I have heard both are pretty good ? I have trapped beaver and the meat looked pretty good. Tried coon that was baked. Didn't care for baked coon.

When we ate in Owensboro it was usually at The Moonlite, they have a large buffet. If we were getting barbecue to take home then we got it from Old Hickory. It is a good place to eat too, in my opinion the meat is better at OH but they are a smaller restaurant and not as much seating.
The barbecue restaurant in our town is owned and ran by a black man. He puts on a good meal, and is a real nice guy to talk with. We had a Dickies Barbeque in town too for a few years. We were sad when it closed down,
My aunt lives in Owensboro, says Moonlite is for out of towners. The locals go to Old Hickory. I do like the mutton from Moonlite though.

Went to a little joint in Hopkinsville one time, can't remember the name, good mutton there too. Marion has a little roadside shack that my daughter just loves, and I'm pretty fond of too. Was going to try the Copper Top in Fredonia last time through, but it was closed that weekend.

My grandma used to cook snapping turtle for us, she'd brown it in a cast iron skillet then throw it in the oven for a while, pretty good that way. I always burned more calories getting them skinned out than what I got from eating them.

@BFE we live on a state road and growing up I watched a many of time people would stop on the road or pull off in our driveway to pick up a turtle crossing the road. People used to climb fences and set jugs in the ponds for them. Turtle is one thing I haven't tried.

Rattle Snake and gator tail both deep fried. Both were good to me. I tried goat once. I could not tell any difference from our local saw briar and laurel leaf feed venison. I can eat either one but they are pretty low on my list.

Latest posts