diesel engine autotuners or chips

Help Support CattleToday:

The one manufacturer that hasn't been mentioned thus far, and is easily the best of all the breeds, is TST Products. When I was building these engines, the TST boxes invariably had better bottom side torque, better throttle response, and had the highest reliability of all the boxes. You will end up paying for it though, as they can be pricy. Chapple and company would also work with a customer to develop some custom fuel curves.

As has been mentioned though, you need to exercise care in cranking up the power. Don't buy blind: Pick a GOOD dealer to purchase your parts through. Its been a couple years since I did this stuff fulltime, but my chief competitor was Rip at http://www.sourceautomotive.biz Rips knows his stuff, is honest as the day is long, and will stand behind his products. I don't think he sells TST, so I'd go direct to TST for that box, but when looking for additional parts, Rip's the man. And watch the online forums: Never have so many known so little. I'm not sure if DonM still posts on the DTR, but if he does, when he speaks, listen to what he's saying. There are few who know as much about the Cummins turbodiesel and diesels in general.

If you're turning the power up on a Dodge Cummins, I did a write up a few months back on fuel systems. Look back a couple pages and you'll find what you have to do to keep the fuel system reliable on these trucks. The Chevy and Fords don't have the same fuel system issues, but they do have other problems that need to be addressed.

And ignore the guys who say 'Don't do this, you'll blow your truck up!' I've personally run several 500HP+ trucks on the farm, and when its done properly, they are every bit as reliable (with the proper parts selection, more reliable) than any stock truck on the market.

Rod

hey d.s.! whats up? was wondering if you were gonna chime in. seems were the guys in the know bout the diesel stuff huh.

true bout the forum thing though..kinda like on here huh!! :lol:

anyways well said. tst seems a little behind the curve anymore but still a good product. so many choices out there anymore...not like it used to be when everything was mechanical and we had to change injectors and pump adj's to make any power....lot of em dont even make smoke anymore!!
bankd new truck went 8 sec at 165 and doesnt smoke at all! crazy......

i reality any of the plug and play stuff is pretty safe. a predator would be a real good choice for a duramax truck. on the fly tuning too i think

I've got this 2007 Dodge Cummins, 6 sp. Manual, had it for bout 3 months, got over 14K on it now, mileage on the highway never better than 14.8 mpg. I pull heavy loads of hay with it. Get 7.8 to 8.8 mpg loaded highway. Will it get better mpg when its broke in better? Can I improve this mileage with a chip or a programmer? If so, how much gain would I see mpg wise?
Thanks guys!

i have never had a chip or tuner in my truck. i dont care about going fast and my truck as plenty of torque. is it worth the fuel economy to purchase a turner? Seems like a lot of fuel for the cost. Comments.

i have seen em take quite a few miles t break em in. id say yer probly still inthe breakin period believe it or not. they do get really crappy mileage until theyre broke in. guys have actually tried to return em cuz the mileage is so bad. but im thinkn (maybe) they say around 20,000 they will be gettin what theyre gonna far as mileage goes. should definitely be better than what yer gettin though. may wanna try the dealer and see what they say. it could need an updated reflash to the ecm. free at dodge

a tuner will give you about 2% mileage increase. my smarty programmer got me about 75 more miles to the 33 gallon tank. not much but its 2 more days drivin to work per month than i was gettin. course at 650$ for the tuner itll take awhile to recoup it.

but its kinda somethin to play with. if yer really loaded down heavy you can add more power. when yer empty ya set it for mileage and lack of smoke.

the chips are really best for daily drivers to get a little more power and a little more milege for around 3-400 bucks.

i get to talk about somethin i know more about than cattle...kinda cool! :banana:

Ok, Thanks for the input DieselBeef.
I got a recall card in the mail on it the other day. It was to replace the o2 sensors and reprogram the ICM for "driveability issues". It improved the throttle response some but the mileage stayed the same...........it should be the newest flash, I guess. Oh well. I never have been able to make it smoke. I lease these things and turn them shortly before 60K for a new one so I would hesitate to put money into it that I will never recoup. Thanks again........

With the mileage gains, I've seen anywhere between no gain and a full 5 mpg (one and only time for the 5 mpg). Autos generally get better gains than the standards, I suspect because of the additional torque at the new shift point. Heavy footed drivers will see no gains at all.

Rod

Latest posts