Diamond Bale Wrapper

Help Support CattleToday:

Atgreene

Reaction score
Anyone own a Diamond or use one? Looking for an inexpensive wrapper, they seem to be selling their 3pth ones for $5500 or so. Bare bones, no frills. I'm only looking to do less than 100 sileage bales per year, hard to justify a $10000 + wrapper.

I've looked at a couple used Vermeers, one was $4500 but had been spun with the table up :!: :eek: . It was working, but not sure how bad it damaged the rotation. I don't mind a project, but have a garage and yard full of them, don't need anymore right now. Am I better off with a damaged Vermeer 2500 S for $4500 or a brand new light duty Diamond for $5500? The local dealer has yet to sell one and is eager to try one out as there are lots of small guys like me who might buy them for that price.

Diamond http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UojPKhS9lH4

Thanks, opinions welcome.

Atgreene, I'm in the same situation. I want to wrap about 100 per year. I was quoted a fair special of $3500 this summer. Have you or anyone else used one of these?

How long does it take to wrap a bale? I would like to get a wrapper next year but have been leaning toward an inline but the price of one keeps me thinking about an individual wrapper.

From the videos I've seen, it's about 2 min, maybe less. It depends on how many layers you want. The biggest drawback I have seen is the amount of wrap per bale is much higher. The major advantages are lower equipment cost and more flexibility in feeding. I don't have to worry about the next bale spoiling.

ChrisB":2a4lrgcq said:
How long does it take to wrap a bale? I would like to get a wrapper next year but have been leaning toward an inline but the price of one keeps me thinking about an individual wrapper.

I watched the video and it seems like they are putting on 2x as much wrap as I do. I can wrap 20-22 bales with a roll of film. I've got a McHale wrapper. Like it just fine.

How many $ in film do you figure you have in each bale? Do you have a 3 point or trailed model? Also if you don't mind my asking; how much should I expect to pay for one of the bale squeeze things? Do they take 3 hydraulic outlets of just 2?

Thanks

I figure right about $3.00 per bale in film. I bought the trailer model. My buddy has the 3pt hitch one and because of the weight it takes a 100 hp tractor to run it. I run mine with a 45 hp tractor. I bought a bale hugger (used $1500) because I thought I was going to stack the bales 2 high. I used it once and never again. My bale hugger took just one circuit to operate the jaw (one side of the jaw is stationary, the other side has a double acting cylinder on it) Now I just haul the bales unwrapped to a handy spot near the barn and wrap them there. The only time they get moved is with a spear and just before they are fed. This picture was taken looking out from the barn where I feed the cows. It's full of bales now, 135 in total. Plenty to get my 13 cows through the winter. :D

Latest posts