dial up to high speed

Help Support CattleToday:

Agboy

Reaction score
Ok Im getting pretty sick off this dialup internet I have an am thinking off going to high speed soon. Not for sure on what I should do here. Go with DSL. Wild blue or others. Or go through the cell phone which I here is good. So Im in the country an options are limited. So what do you guys have for internet service an what does it cost an are you happy. Im just looking for some ideas out there. Thanks for the help in advance. This probably shouldnt be posted here but didnt know where else to post it. Sorry about that.

We use a small local wireless company, costs 44 bcuks a month. Wouldn;t go back for anything. Satellite in this area would be a joke. Any electrical sotrms in the area, of which we get plenty, and the signal gets lost.

We're on Hughes Net satellite at the farm. I works pretty good, except in bad weather when it doesn't work at all. It costs too much ($59. monthly), but it sure beats dialup.

If I had to go back to dialup, I wouldn't even bother.

I now have wireless broadband after dumping satellite. You will need "line of sight" to their tower but it is cheaper than satellite and faster to.

1982vett":smd1zxnh said:
I now have wireless broadband after dumping satellite. You will need "line of sight" to their tower but it is cheaper than satellite and faster to.

I'm with vett. Replaced satellite with wireless and there is no comparison in cost, reliability or speed.

Rod

AT&T is cheap and good here. I think it is about 18 or 19 a month for the basic and it will be like a dream since you have been on dial up.

If you live out in the sticks like us... and have NO cable, or no DSL availabiltity, then the only option we found was AT&T broadband. It costs us about $60 per month, (to me that is expensive) but its worth it not having all the dial-up headaches we used to have.

I am on wildblue and it is alot faster than dialup. It works fairly well unless there are thunderstorms to the southeast. I have considered switching to a wireless card, just wondering if the speed is comparable?

LaneFarms":3eyohcfd said:
I am on wildblue and it is alot faster than dialup. It works fairly well unless there are thunderstorms to the southeast. I have considered switching to a wireless card, just wondering if the speed is comparable?

If by wireless card, you mean wireless networking INSIDE your home, then no, it won't speed things up. It may even be slower than your current wired connections. If by "wireless card" you mean high speed, wireless radio internet access, then it will most certainly be much faster than your current WildBlue satellite internet connection. Wireless radio connections are available up to 3Mbps, whereas the fastest home satellite connection is about 1.5 Mbps (at a pretty hefty cost). Commercial satellite connections are available at 3 Mbps, but are very expensive.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":m05n8sgx said:
LaneFarms":m05n8sgx said:

If by wireless card, you mean wireless networking INSIDE your home, then no, it won't speed things up. It may even be slower than your current wired connections. If by "wireless card" you mean high speed, wireless radio internet access, then it will most certainly be much faster than your current WildBlue satellite internet connection. Wireless radio connections are available up to 3Mbps,

Is this with a cell phone wireless card??

whereas the fastest home satellite connection is about 1.5 Mbps (at a pretty hefty cost). Commercial satellite connections are available at 3 Mbps, but are very expensive.

Rod

LaneFarms":n80k3ut9 said:
Thanks Rod, I already have a wireless router. I was asking about the cell phone carriers cards. Which company seems to have the best signal?
I think that really varies by the area. We are now using Sprint Wireless, but I really don't like spending $60 a month on internet service. We cut back on phone service so it makes it about twice the money of dial up. ATT, Sprint and Sat. are the only options besides dial up here. DSL is all around us bet just not here.

tom4018":30bq963f said:
LaneFarms":30bq963f said:
Thanks Rod, I already have a wireless router. I was asking about the cell phone carriers cards. Which company seems to have the best signal?
I think that really varies by the area. We are now using Sprint Wireless, but I really don't like spending $60 a month on internet service. We cut back on phone service so it makes it about twice the money of dial up. ATT, Sprint and Sat. are the only options besides dial up here. DSL is all around us bet just not here.

Other than the cost, are you pleased with the speed and service?
Do you know what kind of speed you recieve?
Can you leave it on all the time, or do you have to call a number every time you use it?

The reason for all the questions is... I have hughes.net now it costs $70 a month. It had been good speed in the past ( I have had it for about 5 years) but the last few months it hardly beats dial up at times, they (the tech support people in India ) say they can't, won't do anything about it. Before I call and cancel my service with them I would like to know what else I can get.

KenB":3o6vlzeo said:
tom4018":3o6vlzeo said:
LaneFarms":3o6vlzeo said:

Other than the cost, are you pleased with the speed and service?
Do you know what kind of speed you recieve?
Can you leave it on all the time, or do you have to call a number every time you use it?

The reason for all the questions is... I have hughes.net now it costs $70 a month. It had been good speed in the past ( I have had it for about 5 years) but the last few months it hardly beats dial up at times, they (the tech support people in India ) say they can't, won't do anything about it. Before I call and cancel my service with them I would like to know what else I can get.
We are not in the best signal area and get about 100 kbps, dial up was 24,600.
It can stay on all the time, our plan is unlimited and i think ATT has a 5gb limit on their plan before charging more. One thing also you can use this on a laptop and take it with you if needed. My work laptop has it so I knew what to expect before we got it, neighbor about a 1/4 mile away on top the hill has ATT and likes it. We are down in a valley so my signal is weaker.

LaneFarms":37m6kqaa said:

Ah sorry, misunderstood what you meant. I don't know what the US offers for internet services via cell phones, but if its like the stuff thats available up here, your WildBlue is going to be considerably faster. We get about 100 Kbps up here, whereas your WildBlue is 500 Kbps (or faster, depending on the plan. I seem to recall plans up to 1.5 Mbps or 15x faster than cell phone). Are there no radio internet providers in your area? I see them springing up all over the place up here to service remote areas and farms where copper can't get to.

As for the Hughes.net stuff, as was mentioned, stay a LONG ways away from it. I used Xplornet (Canadian subsidiary of Hughes) for quite a few years for work and towards the end of my time with them, it was getting worse and worse, with extreme speed slowdowns and service disconnections. This was a year ago, so I can only imagine what its like now.

Rod

KenB":1h9nrpbe said:

Deja Vu. Went thru the same thing back in July and August. If it does like mine did, it will continue to degrade little by little until you will have intermittent loss of service. I had good down link signal but lost the uplink signal. The loss of signal grew each day until eventually I never had a signal.

Check the yellowpages in your area for wireless broadband. I know they don't service your area but here is a link to my provider so you can check out the technology.

http://texascom.net/bryan/services/wireless.html

I have the Residential Package #1 networked to two computers thru a router. It is plenty fast. Survived Ike, provider had some problems at the tower afterwards but have not had problems since.

FWIW HughNet offered a free installation to upgrade to HNS9000 when I cancelled the account. Never checked to see what the difference is, by the time I cancelled they wouldn't have been able to give it to me for free I was so :mad: .

LaneFarms":3snzpe50 said:

Speed with broadband can reach speeds as fast as DSL connectivity. With my Sierra wireless air card, I am running around 3.6 Mbps right now. It varies, but usually it is excellent speed.

Limomike":1a9jppaq said:
LaneFarms":1a9jppaq said:

Speed with broadband can reach speeds as fast as DSL connectivity. With my Sierra wireless air card, I am running around 3.6 Mbps right now. It varies, but usually it is excellent speed.

Mike, What cell phone carrier is that with?

Latest posts