Dexter Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

bsc

Reaction score
How would you classify the Dexter breed of cattle. Would they be considered an American Breed, a Britsh Breed, or an Exotic Breed? Thank you in advance for your help.

If you stick to the designations like all the other breeds use, ie, English, Continental, the Dexter would be a British breed, since it originated in Ireland.

mtnman

Dexters are of Irish origin, and are the oldest and naturally smallest of British cattle breeds – descending directly from the world's oldest known domestic cattle. Nowadays they are found only in relatively small numbers throughout the world.

I own 2 Dexters (a 5 month old bull and a heifer 15 months old)and I love them. They are gentle and have a great disposition. They originated from County Kerry, Ireland, the County where my Grandpa was born and I was named after the County so I knew, when I found these cows, that eventually I would have to get one, two.... I really am enjoying them. (just thought I would pipe in on the topic)

I am new to this board but have been reading it for awhile, couldn't help but jump in and get my feet wet when the decussion of Dexters came up. I know that there are several breeders on this board already so I just thought I'd add another.
Dexters are the smallest breed of cattle in North America and most other countries. We do not call then minatures even though they are smaller than most, they are a natural breed. Our guidelines are bulls should not exceed more than 44 inches tall nor stand less than 38 inches at the shoulder at three years of age. Cows should not exceed 42 inches nor stand less than 36 inches in height at the shoulder.
It is true our numbers are no where near that of other breeds but I can tell you that they are growing buy leaps and bounds. They are a dual purpose animal, my neighbor has asked to use my bull on his first time heifers. For the small land holder they are ideal, they eat less and are not has hard on the land. I apoligize for the rambling but I can't say enough
good things about Dexters

I have an eight month old dun Dexter bull. I love him. Next year I'll be looking at heifers and cows. Great breed and nice attitudes.

Latest posts