dexter cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

> How can you tell if Dexter cattle
> are dwarf? I have no idea how you tell whether they are dwarf. I think Dexter breeders would be happier if they could get them smaller.I really do not think that they have much to contribute to our beef industry. They really should be sold in pet shops. I've never seem any that appeal to me.Most bulls are big in the head and lack hindquarter development. I realise they are classed as dual purpose but there are a number of large breeds classed as dual purpose,they are able to adapt in appearance to suit each role. If I had to have a small or miniature breed I would seriously consider Australian Lowline,they are beefy little animals with a far greater future for the beef industry.They also seem to have a much better temperament than Dexters.

[email protected]

> How can you tell if Dexter cattle
> are dwarf? Dexters can be small and dwarf, or small and not dwarf. They can even be quite large and still be considered dwarf. All that said, there are some key indicators of a dwarf animal (Dexters or otherwise). Some of these are: Shortened limbs. In the Dexter its mostly manifested by extremely short cannon bones in the lower leg. The cell structure is actually compressed. Out of proportion head, appearing to be much larger in proportion to the rest of the body. A deep, potbelly-like midsection. Again, out of proportion in relation to the rest of the body. Not all Dexters show this condition. Many breeders are developing lines of cattle that are small but overall proportionate in size - everything is downsized equally. The Dexter is becoming a popular breed for those with smaller acreage. They are a dual purpose animal, and many breeders are breeding for more beef qualities (heavier muscled hind quarters for example) without sacrificing the overall good character of the breed.

[email protected]

They are also used as oxen which makes them a triple purpose breed.

dun

I have read that Dexters are dual and Triple Purpose. Hogwash. 1.5 -3 gallons a day is what is written about Dexters. 1.5 gallons is only enough for the calf. Almost all Dexter owners Donot and Never have, Milked, let alone Tested their Dexter for Milk ouput or Quality. Gallons, % Fat or % Protein. If you doubt this ask them.

[email protected]