Depth of Heel Part 2

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Short heels vs. long heels.
A cow or bull with a long heel is usually from a defect in it's leg construction. A very straight legged animal will wear off the toes, and the heel will have less wear. You will see the pasterns straight all the way down into the hoof, whereas there normally should be an angle to give cushion to his legs and body as it walks. But when the angles are not there, this puts a lot of wear and tear on the legs, and the feet as well. It will appear that the hoof is growing evenly as to have a longer heel and there is no length to the toe. This foot would probably never need trimming. This is not a desired trait in a breeding bull, therefore is not a trait in cows used for seedstock. I personally would not keep a straight legged cow in a registered herd for seed stock. She should be moved into the commercial herd as her bulls should be sent to the sale barn, and her heifers should remain in the commercial herd also if they are kept. It would just depend on the severity of the straightness of the leg. Some are severely peg legged, and some have angles, but not ideal. The peg legged ones would have to go to the sale barn.

Here is a calf that is not straight in the back leg, but has problems with his back "ankles" pasterns/fetlocks. As he walks, there is a bend that is not flexible, and at one point, he stumbles as he places his hoof down, and the hoof rolls on over, but he recovers, and continues on. This calf is walking on his toes to avoid some form of pain or problem.
This type of problem would cause an animal to not wear his heel off. And this problem could cause the animal to go lame in one or both back legs as he gets older and heavier.
When I see a cow or bull with a longer heel, I check further up the leg.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enALZz2qSaU

I am glad you presented that. I was concerned about some of mine that place more foot on the ground. I was concerned that it would not keep their claw tips/front of the hoof worn down and result in more need to trim.

Yeah he does look to be walking on his toes.
I also note that he almost seems to drag his front feet a little, he doesn't really pick them up at all.
Sheesh. Now once I'm done painting/moving, I'm going to be watching everyone at GRF walking.
Thanks Chuckie. lol

Latest posts