Deer stands on property lines??

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, sorry for not posting back for a while. The guy put a food plot on his grandfather's farm in a field that borders my woods. He then put a ladder stand on the line fencfacing the plot and a corn pile out in the field right at the edge of the plot next to crp ground. He also had a elevated stand out in the field in the middle of the plot. The first weekend of season he hunted the stand out in the field but not the ladder stand, i suspect he hunts it in bow season and probably would not hesitate shooting a deer on my side knowing him. I made it a point to hunt that area up in my woods hoping to get something going to his plot but never seen much.

On a side note we don't see as many deer as we have in the past. I let a neighbors son's hunt here and they put up camera's, they have not got much on camera.

I guess if the neighbor ticks me off too much I could tell the FSA office that they disked up a few acres of CRP ground for a plot, I don't know if that is allowed or not?

I had to stand and watch a 174 inch typical walk down my fenceline with his two 160 inch buddies one day-they were strolling in a grainfield along my pasture-they passed within 10 feet of me I was standing in a willow clump. I know what the big guy scored because he got shot later in the year-not by me either.

jedstivers":380dtou3 said:
Y'all are gonna love this one. Yesterday Angus Cowman and I were riding an looking when we went to a field on the backside of the farm to check it out, there is a stand right on the line an we drove right past it (on my side an were always on my side). When we turned around an started out we saw someone in the stand with there phone sticking out taking our picture, well it was just to much temtation for me so I just had to pull up beside her and ask if she had seen anything :lol: She said something about getting there at 4:15 an us driving through the field at 4:30 (it is mine to drive through) so we just similed an waved an went on. Then today I did think of something I needed to check in that field about 4:30 today so I eased back in there an today the owner of that stand was hunting in it but he didn't seem to mind me driving on my side of the line.
The gal that was in it friday sure wasn't happy, The more excited she got the squeakier her voice got :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jogeephus":1q16udvm said:
If I could just kill one hog for every two deer I'd be very pleased with the pigs. :lol2:

Careful what you wish for there. A couple hundred could move in on you and your best pasture would become a disaster. May as well have been carpet bombed.

The wild life folks claim that if we take out 80% of the feral hogs, we are only breaking even.

backhoeboogie":27i91fnb said:
Jogeephus":27i91fnb said:
If I could just kill one hog for every two deer I'd be very pleased with the pigs. :lol2:

Careful what you wish for there. A couple hundred could move in on you and your best pasture would become a disaster. May as well have been carpet bombed.

The wild life folks claim that if we take out 80% of the feral hogs, we are only breaking even.

You misread my post. I used the word JUST. At the moment we have killed over 20 per 2 deer. A 1:2 ratio would work just right for sausage.

I don't always understand the way some people think , seems to me if a man owns a place he has a right to put a stand anywhere he would like , and if someone next door is concerned I wuold think the proper thing to do is go talk to him so he knows not to get on your place or you could hang a posted sign for a reminder ?? Instead people want to start driving the fence ,blowing horn , cutting wood , camping out by his stand , just acting like a bunch of foolish kids. Now I don't know how it is where you all are from but where I come from come spring ,if they waited that long ,your fence would get cut between everyother post, a couple pounds of roofing nails in the driveway, some anti-freez corn for the cows, and thats just the start of what people can do to cause you problems!!!! Thy way I look at it, its better to try an get along with people?? but I'm old school

BRYANT":yyb53cdu said:
I don't always understand the way some people think , seems to me if a man owns a place he has a right to put a stand anywhere he would like , and if someone next door is concerned I wuold think the proper thing to do is go talk to him so he knows not to get on your place or you could hang a posted sign for a reminder ?? Instead people want to start driving the fence ,blowing horn , cutting wood , camping out by his stand , just acting like a bunch of foolish kids. Now I don't know how it is where you all are from but where I come from come spring ,if they waited that long ,your fence would get cut between everyother post, a couple pounds of roofing nails in the driveway, some anti-freez corn for the cows, and thats just the start of what people can do to cause you problems!!!! Thy way I look at it, its better to try an get along with people?? but I'm old school

The stand is actually attached to a tree on my side of the fence. This guy, his da and his grandfather don't get along with anyone in the area. Grandfather is always trying to take dvantage of someone, causes property line fueds with everyone he joins. The dad likes to talk about everyone around and make false accusations. The son likes to hunt and he wanders onto someone else so be it he says. I try to get along with everyone, but they have a lot more land than I do say they should stay on their side in my opinion. If he wants to put a stand on his side at the line and shoot only on their side that is their right but I do not have to allow them to come onto my land even to retrieve a deer than runs onto me after being shot, that is the law but i would probably let them get to avoid it going to waste. I did hunt that area of my woods but I did nothing to interfere with his hunting, if it messes him up, oops I am sorry.

BRYANT":1oqczntp said:
I wasn't up there to interfere with their hunting, I didn't even know they were up there or I wouldn't have gone up but when she made such a big deal with the pictures an everything and I was on MY side doing what I had every right to be doing well I just couldn't resist checking my field the next day.

tom4018":ql7v3jn1 said:
The stand is actually attached to a tree on my side of the fence. This guy, his da and his grandfather don't get along with anyone in the area. Grandfather is always trying to take dvantage of someone, causes property line fueds with everyone he joins. The dad likes to talk about everyone around and make false accusations. The son likes to hunt and he wanders onto someone else so be it he says. I try to get along with everyone, but they have a lot more land than I do say they should stay on their side in my opinion. If he wants to put a stand on his side at the line and shoot only on their side that is their right but I do not have to allow them to come onto my land even to retrieve a deer than runs onto me after being shot, that is the law but i would probably let them get to avoid it going to waste. I did hunt that area of my woods but I did nothing to interfere with his hunting, if it messes him up, oops I am sorry.
This makes it look a lot different from what I thought by reading the first post , and you may have said all this and I just over looked it ??, now I would deal with him in a whole different way. Its still what I would call "old school" if you know what I mean. needs someone to make an example out of him . sometimes a few bucks spet to press charges on someone that keeps being a problem is money well spent

The times have really changed, when i was growing up you could hunt or fish anywhere, the land owners didn't care and i never saw a posted sign until i got grown. I have even be hunting and come up on a whisky still , talk and visit with the moonshiners, might even take a little sip and go right on hunting. It was not a big deal back then.
Now posted signs are every where, i think atv and the big 4 wheel drives caused a lot of this.

Still that way around here for the most part curtis. Small group of us locals has private land elk permits this year, we kinda spent the day making wire gaps from one persons property to the next so everone has easy access to everone else land.

Jogeephus":1itt5948 said:
curtis":1itt5948 said:
i think atv and the big 4 wheel drives caused a lot of this.

And just plain stupidity and disrespect for other people's property.

That's true Jogee, so true. The disrespect by some for other people's property has sure made it hard for a kid to find a place to hunt around here.
We do our best to have deer stands or ground blinds in place so some of the kids have a chance at hunting.
There's nothing better than seeing the smiles on their face when they score.

I will tell you what has happen to hunting , two things, MONEY and BOON & CROCKET records.Just get on ebay and see what some FOOLS will pay to go shoot some big buck behind some high fence
Whatever happen to the days of a good hunt reguardless of how big the deer was.
Tell you something that ain't helping it TV shows they make it look like there is a big buck behind every tree , of course this would fall under money
I am 47years old and this year made 40 years in a roll that I was in the woods on opening morning and I still like it, still can't sleep night befor opening day, I have killed LOTS of deer and still fix the racks on a piece of board REGUARDLESS OF THE SIZE the memories of the hunt is what makes for a trophey not the size of the rack. and I have lots of memories hanging in my shop. and I hope foe 40 more years good Lord willing.

Jo I agree, harvested two trophy bucks this year, a 7pt. that weighed 237 lbs. and had all smooth teeth, and a 6 pt. that weighed
186 lbs. last week, he was a good 4 1/2 years old. Even after 50 years I still get the jitters. :cboy:

When I was a kid, you could hunt just about anywhere you wanted to because most of the older farmers didn't care. There were several farmers that wouldn't allow hunting on thier land and that was respected by most people.

Then in the 70's when farming got tough, we started hearing about "parity" and that was the beginning of a lot of farmers and ranchers not being willing to let just anybody hunt on thier land. Since then, lease hunting has been increasing to the point where it is difficult to find very many places to hunt. It also seems like the younger generation of farmers are less likely to grant permission to hunt.

Another problem I see is that there are fewer small farmers and ranchers as thier land is being bought up by foreigners and large corporations. The people that are buying these large tracts of land have proabably never even seen the land.

As for line hunters, I confess that I am forced to be one. The pasture that I lease for our cattle has been cleared so much that the only place I have to hunt is close to a property line. I've never met the people that own (or lease) the ground next to me but I am willing to allow them access to retrieve thier deer and hope that they would allow me to do the same if necessary.

A good part of the reason many farmers won;t let someone else hunt their property is because people have gotten so sue happy. If someone does somthing stupid that's their fault they still try to sue because it happened on your land.

Dun- can't argue with that but that isn't the only reason it"s hard to find a place to hunt. Things just aren't the way they use to be. So many people refuse to be responsible for the stupid things "they" do because it's "somebody" elses responsibility to take care of "them"!

Georgia passed a law preventing frivolous lawsuits like this if someone is allowed to hunt or fish and was not paying for the privelege. Its a shame they didn't do this sooner cause I'm afraid the damage has already been done and not many people know about the change in the law.

Fly-guy, there is probably a lot of difference between the landscape in Oklahoma and Texas than where I live so I can see why one might have to sit near a line if this is where the trees are. Here, its mostly trees so sitting off the line isn't going to make a hill of beans unless you need to get close to the line to see out in the neighbor's oat patch.

Latest posts