Deer stands on property lines??

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Is it legal to use a tree in a property line for a stand? Just found out tonight that someone has put a stand on the back side of a wooded area on my place on the line. Got to check it out tomorrow. I know they legally can not enter my property, but unless someone is there to stand guard you know they will. Just wondered what is the law.

in Missouri I have been told it depends on what side of the wire the tree is on if it is on your side of the wire they are trespassing if it is on their side then they aren't
but was also told by the same agent that it would be hard to get a conviction even if the tree was on your side of the wire

Missouri law also states that if I shoot an animal and it crosses onto another persons property that person CANNOT keep me from going after the animal

Angus Cowman":2hlysm7c said:
in Missouri I have been told it depends on what side of the wire the tree is on if it is on your side of the wire they are trespassing if it is on their side then they aren't
but was also told by the same agent that it would be hard to get a conviction even if the tree was on your side of the wire

Missouri law also states that if I shoot an animal and it crosses onto another persons property that person CANNOT keep me from going after the animal

This is from Ky hunting guide:

Q: Can I retrieve my game or
dogs from another person's land
without permission?
A: No. You MUST have permission
to enter private property.
Landowners are under no obligation
to allow hunters to retrieve
game or dogs from their land.
Think about where you hunt – if
you take a shot near a property
line, you may not be able to retrieve
your game.

LANDOWNER PERMISSION
A person SHALL NOT ENTER
upon the lands of another to hunt, trap
or fish WITHOUT the oral or written
PERMISSION of the landowner,
tenant or person who has authority to
grant permission. Those who fail to obtain
permission are subject to arrest and
prosecution. Railroad tracks and rights
of way are privately owned property and
permission to hunt, trap or fish must be
obtained prior to entry.

tom4018":3h4ffhdw said:
Is it legal to use a tree in a property line for a stand? Just found out tonight that someone has put a stand on the back side of a wooded area on my place on the line. Got to check it out tomorrow. I know they legally can not enter my property, but unless someone is there to stand guard you know they will. Just wondered what is the law.

sounds like tomorrow morning about daylight would be a fine time to fire up the ole chainsaw and trim out that fencerow.

tom4018":3sy13dha said:
Go down and put your stand up right down the fence from his. Might be fun to just spend the night down there "at the stand" a few times or at least hang out there early in the morning.

The bright side is he is shooting away from your place. If he was 100 yards out, chances are he'd shoot toward your place some day.

TexasBred":1n48yt60 said:
tom4018":1n48yt60 said:
Go down and put your stand up right down the fence from his. Might be fun to just spend the night down there "at the stand" a few times or at least hang out there early in the morning.

He breaks the law if the bullet crosses the property line in Texas and it is criminal trespass with a firearm if he enters your property with a gun. Property rights are strong in Texas he has the right to put a deer stand anywhere on his property, just as you have the right to put one up right across from his on your property. Have to check your state laws. I have seen this exact situation turn ugly . Stay calm and talk to the guy and let him know your concerns, he could be a great guy or a real St head. Even if he is a st head stay calm and find out what your dealing with.

I wouldn't like the situation either, but if he doesn't face your place, at least he's not gonna shoot towards your place. I have had people cut my fence to drag a stand in and set it up using a 4 wheeler. If I find it, I keep it, property joins two deer leases, and who can control people? I try not to get too frustrated but c'mon people. You may not have any trouble at all, might want to put a camera on him. I like the idea of riding up there like you just noticed it and just bug him enough 'til he gets the point.

Pour some corn on the ground near the stand then call the warden when he's in the tree. (assuming its illegal to hunt over bait)

Jogeephus":2w62oo80 said:
Pour some corn on the ground near the stand then call the warden when he's in the tree. (assuming its illegal to hunt over bait)

Exactly what my mother threatened to do when we had that problem.

farmwriter":2mgrxsa5 said:
Jogeephus":2mgrxsa5 said:

Exactly what my mother threatened to do when we had that problem.

Great idea. Put it on your side of the fence and YOU will be guilty of baiting deer. Put it on his and you will be guilty of doing what you THINK he is going to do to you that being TRESPASS.

Why not just talk to the guy and let him know your concerns. You might find that he has no intention of shooting anything on YOUR side of the fence. After reading this thread the only guilt I see is on the part of the original poster for jumping to the conclusion that his neighbor is going to harm him in some way.

I hear this brought up allot around hunting season and would like to give a little perspective from a hunters standpoint. I have two special places that I hunt that are on property lines. Any deer hunter worth his salt knows that deer travel transition areas where there is a difference in terrain (flat pasture and wooded gullies), ground cover (young timber vs. old growth), and just plain old obstacles as in fences. One place which is definitely my favorite, has a little of all, and I have seen more game in this spot than anywhere I have ever hunted.

I don't own a stand, have always hunted on the ground, so I just sat beside this tree that just happens to be on the property line. I have never shot across the line, I don't have to, because what ever is on the other side has already been on my side or soon will be. The place is perfect for a north wind and the other place that I hunt on a property line is perfect for a south wind. I could put up a tree stand away from the line, but if I do the only shot I would have, would be toward the line. Usually the biggest trees on a place are the ones on the line, they are great for breaking up an outline when setting against the bottom, and in many cases they are the only ones on the property mature enough to produce acorns.

If a guy that bordered my property only had twenty acres to hunt on, I would rather him hunt on the line and shoot across his twenty acres, than hunt in the middle of it and shoot across ten toward me.

There are always exceptions, and a few hunters will give the rest of us a bad name. If you don't know the guy, introduce yourself. I will never tell a guy what to do on his own property because I don't want anybody telling me what to do on mine.

3waycross":2e3xaxwc said:
Put it on your side of the fence and YOU will be guilty of baiting deer. Put it on his and you will be guilty of doing what you THINK he is going to do to you that being TRESPASS.

On the contrary. Pouring corn out on your side of the property and not hunting over it is merely feeding the wildlife which is purely legal here. Sitting with a gun within 200 yards of it is hunting over bait. Game warden won't care what side of the fence it is just as the inconsiderate fella that's sitting on the line isn't going to care what side of the line the deer is on. This is the reason on all my leases we do not allow anyone to hunt within 75 yards of the property line.

Why not make it a social event and hang a stand on the same tree from your side?

Jogeephus":2n6gkduq said:
3waycross":2n6gkduq said:
Put it on your side of the fence and YOU will be guilty of baiting deer. Put it on his and you will be guilty of doing what you THINK he is going to do to you that being TRESPASS.

On the contrary. Pouring corn out on your side of the property and not hunting over it is merely feeding the wildlife which is purely legal here. Sitting with a gun within 200 yards of it is hunting over bait. Game warden won't care what side of the fence it is just as the inconsiderate fella that's sitting on the line isn't going to care what side of the line the deer is on. This is the reason on all my leases we do not allow anyone to hunt within 75 yards of the property line.

Exactly Jo! We even discussed it with our GW.

I could care less how many deer the hunters get out here. We're not big hunters and good grief the population could sure use some thinning. My concern is the over-eager "brown it's down" out of state crowd that could care less about being neighborly because all they have here is a place to drink and shoot while they leave their good sense and responsibilities at home. I shouldn't have to limit my cattle's winter grazing areas because I'm afraid of the trigger-happy. And it's the shooting houses that face our property line I worry about a lot more than the ones that back up to it.

Personally I won't hunt near a line because I don't want the temptation. Its also a huge pet peeve of mine as well.

Jogeephus":26bmusau said:
Personally I won't hunt near a line because I don't want the temptation. Its also a huge pet peeve of mine as well.

Well we all have those and they will have a tendency to seem awful important to us at the time.

I would ask you to consider one thing Jo. You posted a picture of a fine looking young man on here this week with his first deer. I am guessing that he is yours(one way or another) and because of that he has ample opportunities to hunt a lot of land.

Consider this then. The fella who placed that stand might have one just like him and that is the best he can do for him. He might also be as law abiding and property respectful as they come. As long as Dad or Grandpa does not break the rules doesn't this kid have as much chance to get his "first buck" as yours did.

One thing that has not been addressed here is other than where he hung the stand(which I assume is on the right side of the fence) what has this fella done wrong.

I don't think it hurts anyone here to keep that in mind. It also doesn't hurt to remember that some fellas don't take kindly to being screwed with and might just jerk somebody's a$$ over a fence and knock the livin shyt out of them if they feel like they have been wronged.....ya never know! Folks have sure enuf been shot for less.