Deer stands on property lines??

Help Support CattleToday:

Good ole saying; Do unto others, as you would have done unto you. What comes around goes around, need to be careful how you treat trespassers and poachers. If your cows are visable from the road, you are real vunerable to the sorry a$$es.

Using your premises you have a valid point but this does not apply to my situation. First of all, I manage the deer herd 365 days a year and I have goals which I'd like to meet. The adjoining properties are large tracts of land with ample areas to hunt but the line hunters choose to encroach on me to take advantage of my efforts even though there are hundreds of acres they can hunt. I do not think this is right.

I own a farm that was given an award for wildlife management but due to the line hunters and road hunters I chose to give up and just lease it out. How would you feel if a line hunter was sitting in a climber facing your food plot while you were out there planting the winter feed. Each time I turned the tractor I knew there was a rifle behind my back. What was this guy thinking?

3waycross":1x42gdpq said:
Consider this then. The fella who placed that stand might have one just like him and that is the best he can do for him. He might also be as law abiding and property respectful as they come. As long as Dad or Grandpa does not break the rules doesn't this kid have as much chance to get his "first buck" as yours did.

First of all that was lil Bobber, who was not my son but yes the boy has the right to kill a deer but not on my property unless they have permission. Why teach a child how to poach like grandpa and dad do? Is this what we've come to?

One thing that has not been addressed here is other than where he hung the stand(which I assume is on the right side of the fence) what has this fella done wrong.

At this very moment I have three deer stands facing my property. One is in my hayfield and the only clear shot this guy has is across my hayfield. He has 300 acres he can hunt but he chooses to put his stand there. I will at least give him credit that this year he did not harrow up an acre of my hay field so he could plant a food plot like the idiot did a few years ago.

I don't think it hurts anyone here to keep that in mind. It also doesn't hurt to remember that some fellas don't take kindly to being screwed with and might just jerk somebody's a$$ over a fence and knock the livin shyt out of them if they feel like they have been wronged.....ya never know! Folks have sure enuf been shot for less.

That' a two way street..

Kids are great, there the best. When they come hunting I let'em shoot'em up. Line hunters turn into poachers for the most part when a nice buck shows up. Jo.. becarefull assaulting a armed poacher is a felony in Ga. but thank GOD we have some good ole boy Judges. Most line hunters are lease holders that have no respect for the land owner on either side.

My neighbor called me the other day and said he has been hunting with his son who is trying to kill his first deer. He explained that a nice buck went down the fence line and that it was on my side so he wouldn't let his son shoot. He asked if the buck did the same tomorrow morning would it be ok to let his son shoot the deer. I told him "absolutely, go right ahead and let that boy get his deer". That is the way this should be handled but seldom is. I would have been madder than a hornet had he shot first and didn't say anything. So much can be solved thru communication and respect.

highgrit":2gisybum said:
Most line hunters are lease holders that have no respect for the land owner on either side.

You make a good point and the landowners are my neighbors and friends which makes things rather delicate. As for the hunters, I haven't a clue who they are or where they are from. If the right moment arrives I will mention something but I'm not going to go out of my way cause its more of an annoyance than a real problem at this moment. I just wish people had more courtesy than to do this but these white tailed goats seem to make some people forget common courtesy.

Isomade, its amazing what people will do when permission is asked. When I was a boy I could hunt near about anywhere all I had to do was knock on the owner's door, introduce myself and ask permission to hunt. I can't ever recall not being granted permission. Often times we would clean the animals and give them to the landowner as thanks. Especially duck. Nowadays many would just leave a gut pile left in front of the gate they forgot to close.

I sure am glad to say that i still live where all my neighbors are welcome to hunt on my land any time they want, and i can do the same. The neighbors all watch out for each others property, and keep an eye out for folks that don't need to be there. All my neighbors own cattle and if they see a gate open they will shut it. We are surrounded by goverment land and seem to be getting more city folks out here in hunting season. The modern world may be about to catch up with me, hope not.

Red Bull Breeder":1kv2zjrt said:
I sure am glad to say that i still live where all my neighbors are welcome to hunt on my land any time they want, and i can do the same. The neighbors all watch out for each others property, and keep an eye out for folks that don't need to be there. All my neighbors own cattle and if they see a gate open they will shut it. We are surrounded by goverment land and seem to be getting more city folks out here in hunting season. The modern world may be about to catch up with me, hope not.
Heck I didn't figure the modern world could even find where you live :lol: :lol:

Red Bull Breeder":18j9db28 said:
We are surrounded by goverment land and seem to be getting more city folks out here in hunting season. The modern world may be about to catch up with me, hope not.

Just wait, it'll happen. I can see it now, one day you'll be driving down the road and you will see someone pull over on the side of the road and remove a box from the back of the truck. Inside the box will be several transplant hunters who have been kept in the box all year. The driver will pick up the box and shake it really hard and fast then open the lid to the box and out will come a dozen or so frenzied hunters on their brand new four wheelers flying up the road and across your fields like agitated yellow jackets. Never seen it myself but I'm pretty sure that's about how it happens. Good luck.

Jogeephus":2karu375 said:
Just wait, it'll happen. I can see it now, one day you'll be driving down the road and you will see someone pull over on the side of the road and remove a box from the back of the truck. Inside the box will be several transplant hunters who have been kept in the box all year. The driver will pick up the box and shake it really hard and fast then open the lid to the box and out will come a dozen or so frenzied hunters on their brand new four wheelers flying up the road and across your fields like agitated yellow jackets. Never seen it myself but I'm pretty sure that's about how it happens. Good luck.

You forgot the part of that story where they shed empty beer cans every third step, and sneeze piles of them. ;-)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

A few years ago a smart arsed out of town hunter got ugly when he had to move his truck for a cotton picker to come down the road and he got stuck. He was cussing like a sailor demanding this and that. Farmer told him no worry he'd just pull him out and that he did. Right out of one ditch across the road into another ditch and over this and right into a stand of planted pine. That dodge was no match for that big deere.

Jogeephus":1ic2248t said:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

A few years ago a smart arsed out of town hunter got ugly when he had to move his truck for a cotton picker to come down the road and he got stuck. He was cussing like a sailor demanding this and that. Farmer told him no worry he'd just pull him out and that he did. Right out of one ditch across the road into another ditch and over this and right into a stand of planted pine. That dodge was no match for that big deere.
Could'a been worse, he could have pulled him on into town an made a loop around the Sonic.

I've seen Jo's line hunter. He has a heck of a piece of property that I would love to have for hunting yet he parks himself right on the line. This area is crawling with deer and there is no need to sit on the fence to hunt. I can't imagine why someone would want to tick Jo off. Jo is one of the friendliest guys I have ever met but he has a diabolical mind when he wants to hand out some Georgia justice. I am glad I am on friendly terms with him.

Jo......save me some of those porkers.....I might just have to rustle up another Tennessee ham for ya.....I am getting the urge for some late season piggly wigglys in warmer weather :cboy:

:lol2: :lol2: Diabolical?! I thought everyone sawed the legs off one of the legs on deer stands. Makes for better shooting doesn't it? :lol2:

Hoss, you might like our new hog systems. First is a team of mut hounds with gps collars on them so we can follow them in the swamp. Second and newest is a fella has some military grade night vision scopes. He's responsible for the death of 43 hogs in the pivot field by the river place.

Y'all are gonna love this one. Yesterday Angus Cowman and I were riding an looking when we went to a field on the backside of the farm to check it out, there is a stand right on the line an we drove right past it (on my side an were always on my side). When we turned around an started out we saw someone in the stand with there phone sticking out taking our picture, well it was just to much temtation for me so I just had to pull up beside her and ask if she had seen anything :lol: She said something about getting there at 4:15 an us driving through the field at 4:30 (it is mine to drive through) so we just similed an waved an went on. Then today I did think of something I needed to check in that field about 4:30 today so I eased back in there an today the owner of that stand was hunting in it but he didn't seem to mind me driving on my side of the line.

jedstivers":1m7jzf28 said:
Y'all are gonna love this one. Yesterday Angus Cowman and I were riding an looking when we went to a field on the backside of the farm to check it out, there is a stand right on the line an we drove right past it (on my side an were always on my side). When we turned around an started out we saw someone in the stand with there phone sticking out taking our picture, well it was just to much temtation for me so I just had to pull up beside her and ask if she had seen anything :lol: She said something about getting there at 4:15 an us driving through the field at 4:30 (it is mine to drive through) so we just similed an waved an went on. Then today I did think of something I needed to check in that field about 4:30 today so I eased back in there an today the owner of that stand was hunting in it but he didn't seem to mind me driving on my side of the line.

Jed,you shouldn't be so mean to a lady. ;-) :lol: :lol:

Have you ever noticed, if a person has 100's of acres to hunt they'll post up on the property lines. Its the same way with fishing, the person in the boat wants to throw his bait as close to the bank as possible.
The fisherman setting flat arse on the ground with a Prince Albert can full of worms wants to throw their bait as far as they can away from the bank.

Latest posts