Deer stands on fence lines

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I rode my fence lines today, I was actually looking for a cow that I had down to calve today. I came up on a man and a woman sitting in a two man ladder stand with muzzle loaders. Their stand was in a tree, that the line fence is actually nailed to. I don't hunt at all, but I do lease my land out to a gentleman from Florida. I like to look out for his best intrest. If I didn't lease my land out, I wouldn't care at all. My son hunts, but with a friend of mine, on his place. The stand was actually in a tree in the fence line. I knew they were within their. Rights to be there, so I just stopped to talk to them. They were actually guest of my neighbor. Turns out they were both drunk. When I say drunk I mean slathering drunk. When I got home, a looked up the neighbors place on draft logic. As near as I can tell, counting his yard he owns somewhere between 3 and 3 1/2 acres. He mows about half of that. I make it a point to get along with everybody. I'll end up letting this roll off of me like water down a ducks back. I do kinda resent having intoxicated people with weapons that near my place.

If the barrel of the gun so much as crosses the fence line it's armed trespass. A felony. I would be passing that info along to the land owner who is liable for his guests as well

It's such a small amount of land, he really shouldn't be having guest out in my opinion. They are all within their rights, well maybe not the hunting drunk part. I might as well not get in an arguement I cant win. If he is actually only going to shoot a deer on his friends place, I'm better off with him their, than I am him shooting across me.

So if a deer crosses in front of them but on your side of the fence I hope those drunks won't send any lead towards your cows.

That's what they always do around here, minus drunkenness for some, they buy a weed patch then sit right on the fence line of your property. I do a lot of coyote calling in those areas. Hey, it's my property maybe I want to call coyotes right there. :lol:

Only in FL. Hook been trying to get armed trespassing made a Felony here. DNR rangers are scarred if they do they will be targets. I told them they have guns and a badge. Bigfoot I don't allow people to hunt on the property lines. I have took V5 tin and nailed it on my side of the tree, and put coke cans on a string in the middle of the tin. Hunting under the influence is a bad deal, but it's not worth having a cow shot.

I thought it was in most states hg. Here, FWC has more freedom of search and seizure than the Feds do. They can cross lines , inspect freezers, houses , etc without a warrant at all.

That's a bad situation, neither me or any of my family drink, so I have a problem with drunks, probably because I just can't relate. I guess you'll know where to look if you find anything or any livestock shot up.

I know they were'nt there during gun season, and muzzle loader goes out Sunday. I thougt about nailing a 4 x8 sheet of plywood behind them on my side. I have never really had any dealings with the actual property owner. His son is grown, and gone. When he was younger, he used to run around on me quit a bit. I didn't care. A boy needs room to stretch his legs I guess.

denvermartinfarms":1345ncwg said:
That's a bad situation, neither me or any of my family drink, so I have a problem with drunks, probably because I just can't relate. I guess you'll know where to look if you find anything or any livestock shot up.

Yea the drunk with a gun part is kind of a deal breaker.

I have a radio tower about 150 yards off of the property line behind them. They could really make my life a mess, if they started vandalizing it in retaliation.

Bigfoot":292badps said:
I have a radio tower about 150 yards off of the property line behind them. They could really make my life a mess, if they started vandalizing it in retaliation.
I end up in situations like that, take one risk over another.

For some reason, I have always felt kinda sorry for people that like the outdoors, but don't own land. Especially a young person. This guy looked mid 50's. If he is following the game laws, he would be much better off on public land though.

Bigfoot":1hgfs0xx said:
For some reason, I have always felt kinda sorry for people that like the outdoors, but don't own land. Especially a young person. This guy looked mid 50's. If he is following the game laws, he would be much better off on public land though.

Did you call the neighbor and tell him about it?

3waycross":2y091amh said:
Bigfoot":2y091amh said:

Did you call the neighbor and tell him about it?

Hadnt yet.

Bigfoot":23m2mvr7 said:
For some reason, I have always felt kinda sorry for people that like the outdoors, but don't own land. Especially a young person. This guy looked mid 50's. .

I used to but I don't anymore. I've found way to often that the same poor decisions that keep them from being successful enough to own land of their own gets played out when they're on someone else's property. I'm softer on kids in hopes that they'll turn out okay, but they usually don't.
I don't mean to sound like to much of a hardass, but there's usually a reason why they are have-nots. :frowns:
Things like being arrogant enough to set up a tree stand on a property line, crawl into it and get drunk are fairly common mistakes for a lot of people. They probably think something to the effect of, "well at least this time we're not out driving around drunk" and that makes it okay to them.

cow pollinater":2gr0qb7c said:
Bigfoot":2gr0qb7c said:
For some reason, I have always felt kinda sorry for people that like the outdoors, but don't own land. Especially a young person. This guy looked mid 50's. .

I used to but I don't anymore. I've found way to often that the same poor decisions that keep them from being successful enough to own land of their own gets played out when they're on someone else's property. I'm softer on kids in hopes that they'll turn out okay, but they usually don't.
I don't mean to sound like to much of a hardass, but there's usually a reason why they are have-nots. :frowns:
Things like being arrogant enough to set up a tree stand on a property line, crawl into it and get drunk are fairly common mistakes for a lot of people. They probably think something to the effect of, "well at least this time we're not out driving around drunk" and that makes it okay to them.

Geographic limitations play a role, as do some life changes that may change a persons interest and direction over the years. Not everyone grows up in the country and grow up hunting. Just a thought.

cow pollinater":z7s79cgt said:
Bigfoot":z7s79cgt said:

Add in the fact that in a state like Illinois land owners are responsible for those drunk trespassers if a No Trespassing sign isn't sight.

cow pollinater":3e857q95 said:
I used to but I don't anymore. I've found way to often that the same poor decisions that keep them from being successful enough to own land of their own gets played

There is a lot of people that are successful that don't own land and there is alot of people that will hunt on peoples property and treat it great and alot of the time be very helpful to the landowner.I have helped people out that let me hunt alot of times from fixing fences to cutting ceders and even found a cow down one night while coonhunting and help the lady that owned the place pull the calf. Most places that I have hunted we became good friends. BUT nowdays the all mighty dollar has messed up hunting and put a wedge between the farmer and hunter

Latest posts