Deer season

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Deer season here is only 12 days long with a limit of one buck. So for me season was over in about 45 minutes. I wanted to take this one out of the gene pool. He is a 3 by 4 but the fourth point is small and towards me in the picture so it doesn't show up. His spread at the top is about 5 inches. At the widest point the spread is about 10 inches. He is a 3 1/2 year old deer. There are other bucks here the same age with 20-22 inch spreads. He will be in my freezer and not breeding any does.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2995.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2995.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 15
Deer season here is only 12 days long with a limit of one buck. So for me season was over in about 45 minutes. I wanted to take this one out of the gene pool. He is a 3 by 4 but the fourth point is small and towards me in the picture so it doesn't show up. His spread at the top is about 5 inches. At the widest point the spread is about 10 inches. He is a 3 1/2 year old deer. There are other bucks here the same age with 20-22 inch spreads. He will be in my freezer and not breeding any does.
CB the one Dave pictured wouldn't be legal for you to kill would it?

Up here we can shoot a muley if it has 4 points on one side. But we can't shoot the big 3 points that are screwing up the gene pool.

I have had a Muley on my bucket list for several years now. Got a chance to go after one last year but no luck. It's got me hooked because it's so different than what we are use to hunting whitetail. The best part about going after the Mule deer for me is even if you dont kill one... you will see some great country trying.

The winter of 2016-17 Was really harsh here. They said that 60% of the deer winter killed that year. The fawns born the spring of 2017 were all stunted and sorry examples of mule deer. We are just now recovering both in total population and decent looking bucks. The 2018 fawns are mainly 2 points this year. About 2 or 3 years from now we will start getting real bucks. But there are a couple of 30 inch bucks here that survived that winter. They are a little hard to hunt.

Latest posts