Debate...

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never figured out what the big deal is about boiled crawfish. To me it's too much work for that little bit of meat. I can make myself sick on boiled shrimp, however.
Then you ain't ever eat any crawdads that were cooked right and if you think it's alot of work to peel them you've never been taught how to because I can peel and eat 5-10 lbs like nobody's business.

I'm still lost. You said chilli has to have chunks of beef or venison, no beans, and no vegetables. So your telling me that real chilli is just a cut up steak?
Real chili is beef , course ground is ok imo. A sauce ( tomato based sometimes)and spices.
Absolutely no beans or pasta. I can't imagine why anyone would eat pasta at all...but that's a different debate.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm still lost. You said chilli has to have chunks of beef or venison, no beans, and no vegetables. So your telling me that real chilli is just a cut up steak?

I didn't say no vegetables (at least I don't think I did). It's not just a cut up steak. You need onions, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and probably some other stuff. My wife makes it, so I don't have a complete recipe.

I didn't say no vegetables. It's not just a cut up steak.
You need onions, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and probably some other stuff.
Don't forget, to be chili it needs the key ingredient of Chili Powder/chili peppers.
Ingredients listed on my bottle of chili powder: Chili peppers, paprika, red pepper, parsley and carrot oil/resins.

After reading this entire thread, i still do not know what constitutes, quote, "real chili."😂😂 i always thought it was predominantly beans, some meat, and if the person was weird, chunks of tomatoes🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Grease meat chili powder

Apparently it's now vegetables taco chili soup.

Well I've learned from this debate my version of chili is fake chili. Apparently, people have definitely ideas of chili in different areas. What's real chili I guess is whatever you make it. It's all whatever you want it to be its your life your chili. Your body your chili! 😆

Jalapenos aren't the only pepper with some heat. I prefer cayennes.

I just go get all the hot peppers at the grocery. It confuses most the cashiers on how to ring them up.

We bought fresh celery the other day, the cashier looked at it, than asked, "aaaa what is that?" CELERY!!! 😲😳 I'd understand all the different peppers and different vegetables and fruits when you get in to jackfruit, passion fruit, ect. But celery? A grow up now knowing what celery is. Wow that's weird to me. Than again I don't know all this phones, apps, ect. But I know celery. As I always say I'm old school. I could care clue about having 100 apps

Don't forget, to be chili it needs the key ingredient of Chili Powder/chili peppers.
Ingredients listed on my bottle of chili powder: Chili peppers, paprika, red pepper, parsley and carrot oil/resins.
Separately, add cilantro & ground Comino.
But, Ground chile (with a 'e' on the end) powder is just that. Dried ground up chile peppers. Nothing added. I said peppers (plural) for a reason. There are different kinds of chile peppers and chile powdwers are labeled as to what species is used. Sometimes a blend of different types but never any other non chile pepper spices added to chile powder. I like arbol, ancho or guachillo.
All chile pepper is a fruit, not a veggie.

Chili (spelled with 2 'i's) powder (store bought mix of many spices) is for folks that don't know how to cook and blend the different spices and want someone in faraway places in some corporate setting to do it in some plant for them.

If you just have to use a mix, Wick Fowler's 2 alarm is not bad. (He was co-champion of the very 1st Terlingua chili cookoff in 1967 and won it outright twice more) Carrol Shelby was one of the founders of that cookoff, as he owned over 200,000 acres in Brewster county. (If you don't know who Carrol Shelby is, you're dead inside)

Chili, the dish, is all about flavors but too many believe it's all about heat. It's not, it's all about blending spices and meat. Any fool can make something hot.

Last edited:
I just go get all the hot peppers at the grocery. It confuses most the cashiers on how to ring them up.

We bought fresh celery the other day, the cashier looked at it, than asked, "aaaa what is that?" CELERY!!! 😲😳 I'd understand all the different peppers and different vegetables and fruits when you get in to jackfruit, passion fruit, ect. But celery? A grow up now knowing what celery is. Wow that's weird to me. Than again I don't know all this phones, apps, ect. But I know celery. As I always say I'm old school. I could care clue about having 100 apps

A few years ago I was standing in line at my usual breakfast taco place when the guy in front of me, who looked to be even whiter than I am, pointed at the bin full of diced up cilantro and told the lady behind the counter "Put a bunch of that parsley on my taco." I just let him go, but I've often wondered what he thought when he bit into his taco and got a mouthful of that "parsley".

Latest posts