dealing with people who change there price

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer":5cawnnpd said:
Custom hay baler down the road promised to sell me 100 rolls at 25 per roll. He called yesterday and asked if I still needed hay. I said yes. He said only one problem . I said whats that ? He said "I know what I told you about the price but I cant sell it to you for that." Now he says he has got to get 30 per roll.

Last year I had a different fellow promise me 600 rolls but he only got me about 300 and sold the rest to someone else who offered more money than what we agreed on months earlier.

Am I expecting to much for these people to keep there promises or should I just expect them to not keep there word?
I suspect I am not the only person who runs into this problem. Seems like some people will sell anybody out for a few dollars.

A promise is a promise, if he can't keep his, i surely would not buy any from him.

I know this past winter, we knew alot of people who had to buy hay just to keep operating, and you wouldn't believe the gouging that was going on, 2-3 year old hay going for $100, and from people who were just plain greedy. I figure its always best to be honest and fair, because what comes around usually goes around, make a promise got to keep it.

Hope you find a good buy elsewhere.

Gail

Preston, if you made a deal with the guy for the hay at 45 dollars and then you sell it to someone else, you are the exact kind of guy I talked about in my other post. The way you posted sounded like you did not require a deposit. You committed to 20 bales at 45 dollars and he agreed and will come and get it and pay you when you bale it and you left it like that. So, the deal was made. If you sell that hay to someone else and do not have it available when he comes by when you bale it, then you are the type of guy who will always have problems with neighbors because no one will trust you. You make it sound like you are the kind of guy who wants to lock the other guy into a price to have a guaranteed base while you are looking for a higher price to sell at. I know people like that, and the only way I will deal with them is in a case where it is a huge advantage for me to do so. The guy knew Denog would take the hay because Denog said he would. If I misunderstood your post, I aplogize

preston39":amh5ftdi said:
Denog....,

Did you put a deposit on the hay? If not how did he know you would take the hay? What time span was involved?

I think Denog knew the guy and they had a verbal agreement, you know I give you my word I will buy it, I give you my word i will sell it to you for $25 a bale.

GMN

A deal is a deal. If he priced the hay too cheap, not the buyer's problem. If I've got a bull and I tell you to come and get him for $2K - I gotta stand by that deal -even though I could've made more selling to someone else.
I think the drought and relative scarcity of hay in certain areas is clouding this issue.

I also agree that $25 a roll seems low.. but if you had whipped out a check and paid for however many rolls you wanted, he would have probably honored your verbal agreement.

I also think $30 a roll is very reasonable, and actually by splitting the difference with you I think he is showing you that he probably didn't feel right about changing the price on you either.

There were so many people that did that last year.. and also resold hay that was promised, that you'd be more surprised to hear it didn't happen.

Txwalt":262rperg said:
Who said "A deal is a deal". What if the market turned the other way? Should Denoginizzer have called the hay guy and said. I can't pay 25 now. I can only pay 20.

Walt

Exactly right.

Whatever the number we agree on thats what I buy. I have comitted to hay and then run across some better and cheaper but I always buy what I agreed to buy.

On a positive note one of my neighbors had extra hay towards the end of winter. He could of easily gotten 45 dollars per roll for it. He knew I was in a tight so he offered it to me. He said he would like to get 25 dollars per roll if that wasnt to much. If I can ever help him I sure will rember his genorosity.

stocky":ithdg3sf said:
Preston, if you made a deal with the guy for the hay at 45 dollars and then you sell it to someone else, you are the exact kind of guy I talked about in my other post. The way you posted sounded like you did not require a deposit. You committed to 20 bales at 45 dollars and he agreed and will come and get it and pay you when you bale it and you left it like that. So, the deal was made. If you sell that hay to someone else and do not have it available when he comes by when you bale it, then you are the type of guy who will always have problems with neighbors because no one will trust you. You make it sound like you are the kind of guy who wants to lock the other guy into a price to have a guaranteed base while you are looking for a higher price to sell at. I know people like that, and the only way I will deal with them is in a case where it is a huge advantage for me to do so. The guy knew Denog would take the hay because Denog said he would. If I misunderstood your post, I aplogize
=======
Stocky...,

I think you did missunderstand(suggest you re-read the post). Even with that you had to stretch to reach your conclusions.

1) There was a conversation...there was no agreement.

An agreement requires an offer and an acceptance ...the acceptance must be confirmed...it wasn't.

Example:I priced a bull to a guy last evening at $3,500...he said..."I will think about it".

Is that an agreement? The answer is no. To say ...yes it is an agreement ...then I am committed and he is not. There is no such animal as a one-sided agreement.

If he said OK and this AM I sold the bull to someone else...that would be breaking a gentleman's agreement. A completely different ball-game.

As is apparent in your response communications are a challenge and we all need to take more care.

so this whole thread brings up a question. Do gentleman's agreements still exist or do you guys always use a legal document? The reason I ask is that I had a guy who was going to lease my property, agreed to lease my property verbally, and then changed his mind (without calling to let me know). The only problem with that is now I need to make other arrangements for my hay meadow when time is of the essence to get it cut. So, gentleman's agreement or not?

What if you asked me in Dec if I would sell you some hay. I said $50 bale. Then comes spring and fertilizer has went up by $100 per ton. Do you really think that I should sell you hay at a price based on $300 fert rather than $400 fert?

Why don't you buy your own baler, mower, rake and fertilizer, weed killer, etc and see it from the hay seller's end?

pbnewbie":2l1tvx4g said:
so this whole thread brings up a question. Do gentleman's agreements still exist or do you guys always use a legal document? The reason I ask is that I had a guy who was going to lease my property, agreed to lease my property verbally, and then changed his mind (without calling to let me know). The only problem with that is now I need to make other arrangements for my hay meadow when time is of the essence to get it cut. So, gentleman's agreement or not?

It sure makes me mad when folkes don't do what they say they are going to do. They prevent you from making other arangements. I won't deal with those people again. Shoot, he could have called you when he know he could not keep his word.
I have had to back out a deal before and had people back out my deals before but if they will call and be up front about it I can still work with them. But just a no show gets them out of my dealings.

denoginnizer":32mz5jgp said:
Custom hay baler down the road promised to sell me 100 rolls at 25 per roll. He called yesterday and asked if I still needed hay. I said yes. He said only one problem . I said whats that ? He said "I know what I told you about the price but I cant sell it to you for that." Now he says he has got to get 30 per roll.

Last year I had a different fellow promise me 600 rolls but he only got me about 300 and sold the rest to someone else who offered more money than what we agreed on months earlier.

Am I expecting to much for these people to keep there promises or should I just expect them to not keep there word?
I suspect I am not the only person who runs into this problem. Seems like some people will sell anybody out for a few dollars.

As bad as this year could be, buy it now while you can still get it for $30/ a roll. The yield of the first cutting is going to be sucky all over the state and we are going to need more regular rain for the second cutting to be much better.

pbnewbie":ujfr73it said:

I do everything by written contract; but for a dishonest person they really do not mean much. Take your situation......you COULD get a signed contract (and a signed contract IS better than a handshake agreement) that you would buy....."200 rolls of cow quality fescue hay for $25 a roll payment and delivery to be made on June 2, 2007". For a REALLY honest person, they would really TRY to honor this agreement. For a REALLY dishonest person, THIS YEAR he could easily find some builder who will pay $40 a roll (they use it to start grass in the backyards) and he COULD sell your hay. Then on June 1 call you and say that my harvest was sucky, I can't deliver. WHAT are you going to do now??? You could SUE him to enforce the contract......and he will produce ten expert witnesses to say that rainfall was 10% of normal and the yields this year are horrible. His builder buddy could say that they had an agreement too.....bottomline is even IF the judge gave you some kind of financial compensation you STILL don't have hay for the winter.

And on winter price gouging. I don't like that sort of thing; BUT if you have never bought hay from a guy before and are just scouring the state for hay in February, I don't really blame a guy for making the most of the situation. In a low yield year, the person who fills his barn up and holds it, makes money. In a high yield year with a mild winter, everybody has plenty of hay, they don't have to feed as much, and they guy who held hay in his barn probably can't sell it. Holding hay to February is a gamble that does not pay every year so when it does, I think you have to make the most of the situation.

pbnewbie":99zz6a71 said:
=====
pb.....,

Different scenario. I probably would not do business with him again. If i did it would be done differently..a signed agreement with money.

Gentleman's agreement should be in order with proper communications. Some will fail...however.

The guy quoted him a price. If he changed his mind about the price what good is the quote. What good is his word. You people can make all the excuses you want. The man was quoted a price that was useless. If you can't stick by your word then shut up and don't give a quote.

Walt

farmerjohn":33p9rekv said:
What if you asked me in Dec if I would sell you some hay. I said $50 bale.

Do you think it's a good idea to quote someone a price in Dec for hay you're going to bale in the spring?

Then comes spring and fertilizer has went up by $100 per ton.

Oh, well. That's not the buyer's fault. Again, I wouldn't quote it too early. Too many things can happen.

Do you really think that I should sell you hay at a price based on $300 fert rather than $400 fert?

Yes, if that's what you said to begin with.

farmerjohn":2hv6q7hm said:
What if you asked me in Dec if I would sell you some hay. I said $50 bale. Then comes spring and fertilizer has went up by $100 per ton. Do you really think that I should sell you hay at a price based on $300 fert rather than $400 fert?

Yes, I do. That is the price you quoted me, and I would expect you to honor it. I would sure honor it if the situation was reversed.

What if he quoted you a price of 50 dollars a roll. Then for some reason fertlizer prices fell through the roof and everbody was selling lots and lots of hay for 20 dollars a roll. Would you still give him $50 even though he was selling to everbody else for $20?

Yes, Bama, I would. I accepted the quoted price, therefore I'm obligated to honor the deal - period.

Latest posts