PH change

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Lime truck driver spread 4 ton per acre on some of my hayfields today. Waste of money over 2 ton.
If the begining PH was 5.2 what can i expect it to be next year. I tried to calculate using a buffering effect formula but im not smart enough.
By the way our lime is cheap so not going to break me but im sure wasted a fair amount of money.

Lime truck driver spread 4 ton per acre on some of my hayfields today. Waste of money over 2 ton.
If the begining PH was 5.2 what can i expect it to be next year. I tried to calculate using a buffering effect formula but im not smart enough.
By the way our lime is cheap so not going to break me but im sure wasted a fair amount of money.
Kenny I always heard anything over 2 ton per acre was a waist of money. What is lime costing you spread? I got a quote the other day for $42 per ton.

Kenny I always heard anything over 2 ton per acre was a waist of money. What is lime costing you spread? I got a quote the other day for $42 per ton.
Yes over 2 ton is wasting it mostly. But you potentially could get the PH too high. Especially near the surface. 8.4 is the limit on our grasses i think.
The company i work for which is owned by a cousin has 2 lime trucks. So much cheaper. But lime is cheap here.
Where clinchvalley86 lives it can be bought for $5 a ton. But were not licensed for TN with those trucks plus its 2 mountains away.
I think its $35 a ton here spread.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of just one crushed limestone storage area close to @ClinchValley86. We have several Zinc mines in the area and that is why it is so cheap to buy here. The main cost is trucking.

View attachment 37003
That looks like the one on the lower end of the valley down 131. The one on the upper end several years ago was like a mile long pile stacked high. I had a guy a few years ago to spread lime from the lower pile and it is still working. He missed a strip about a foot wide and you could see the difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts