dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

meboyles

Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago, I was at the local auction and a 380# black steer came through with the ring with 4 other steers. This one was limping some so they cut him out by himself. The owner was there and stated the calf was fine when he got to the barn. Long story short I bought him cheep brought him home and in a few days he seemed fine. A few days later he was hunched up and limping again but it passed as quick as it came. Yesterday morning I had to check the cows in the dark and he was there but that's about all I could say about him. This morning he's dead, belly swollen and back side prolapsed any ideas?

prolapse was out 2-3 inches, this i have seen as a result of straining. i would say he definitely had some other problem, can't for the life of me think what would have that effect,with the lameness, maybe someone else has seen this

jerry27150":289nqbd8 said:
prolapse was out 2-3 inches, this i have seen as a result of straining. i would say he definitely had some other problem, can't for the life of me think what would have that effect,with the lameness, maybe someone else has seen this

Have seen to much protien in the diet cause anal prolapse's

It could be Hepatic disease. Liver disease can cause rectal prolapse. Was it on a high ration of grain? Or could be from toxins. He could have ate something metal - hardware disease ( hunched up) Just a guess .

Depending on far out the prolapse is, may just be caused by the bloating. As far as why he died, only an autopsy would tell you. And I'm not saying you ought to run out & get an autopsy. I know I wouldn't for a recently purchased animal. If I had problems within my own herd that was unexplainable (more than one) I would definately get an autopsy. Some deaths are never explained - even with an autopsy.

yes he could have been bloated, is it possible for an injury to cause a twisted bowl in calves? I've heard of this happening in horses but a calf's plumbing is somewhat different.

Latest posts