Dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
Our first calf of the season just died. Was born dead. We are just hobby farmers and they are pets so it's very sad for us. The calf was born to our heifer. Yesterday night I noticed one of my cows had diarrhea. Then this morning I noticed the heifer that calved today had diarrhea and that her bag was filling up. By noon my mom called me and said she thought she was close as she didn't come for grain and she said she had a bad case of the runs. So I did a quick google search and read that many cows have the runs before calving so assumed that's what it was. At 3pm we saw that the water sac was sticking out. We quickly got in the gator and by the time we got to the top of the hill literally 2 mins the calf was on the ground and it was dead. It's my first time seeing a stillborn calf so I'm not sure what's normal. It's tongue was out and it's eyes were closed very tightly. I called a local rancher and he told me to open it's eyes and touch it's eyeball as I didn't feel a heartbeat. It was somewhat hard to open the eyelid and I noticed the eyes were grey, clouded over.

My friend thought that perhaps the calf was breach and suffocated. But I'm worried about the diarrhea. I have 5 more cows that are about to calf. I did not vaccinate them because I'm an idiot. I called the vet and he said we can assume the runs is coming from the hay. I opened up a new bale as I do every 3 days the day before the runs started.

Any ideas? Just bad luck?

All my cows are heifers. All Holstein X angus. All bred to our bull

😢😭 Let me get myself together, I'm about to cry my eyes out!! 😥
🤗 Sorry to heard about your calf. Very heartbreaking 💔 I really have no advice to offer. I really clueless about cows having babies... I had/have a very bottle calfs... must have lost my mind somewhere just went all out brought 38 more cows (off the bottle). I really don't know alot about cows. My husband said I couldn't have a dog... so I brought 40 cows, 30 chickens and a mini horse. 😂🤣🤩 dog may have been cheaper 🤣😂😉😝 but I tell you live and learn and I've learn a heck of alot. Good luck to you. 🤠👸

Latest posts