dead calf... momma breaking my heart....

Help Support CattleToday:

with every product, there are people that will say it works, and others that haven't had any luck with given method... Persistence is key though! Hope she accepts it without much fuss.. sometimes things work really nicely! good luck with it!

It is a good plan. As Nesi said, anything can work or not work. "Persistence is key." All you can do is try.
But my concern is, I don't know how long you have before your cow starts to dry up and her mind is off the calf, making things more difficult.
I would try rubbing her milk on the calf, holding it up to her in the chute and putting a nipple in its mouth. But you may need to do this several times per day. A lot depends on her response. Just know that if it doesn't work out, you will have a bottle calf to raise or sell.

Your plan sounds good to me you may have to put her in the chute a couple of times to get it going. I think if you get the calf quick enough she will take it.

Not for 400... He will not get that at sale. She may or may not take that calf. Good luck milking her if she's never had it done. Her bag will go down if you leave her alone. Calf does look alittle deformed in that leg...if her bag is strutted as u say and that calf is only a day old...look and see how big around her Teets are. He might not have been able to get it in his mouth. He may have starved to death. In any case, I'd load her up and haul her to the sale barn as soon as she dries up some

I don't know where you are 2J but in Texas a baby calf will bring $400 at a sale I watched 180lb baby bring 4 and change a pound a few weeks ago.

Well I couldn't get a hold of the guy that had the bottle calf. She had the calf on Thursday and her bag is still really full but if i can't get a calf to put on her by tomorrow I'll just let it go. She did make a really great calf last year and has never had any issues. I just hope this was a one time thing.

Too the Waco cowboy...you have never seen a week old calf of any size weigh 180 lbs. I'd offer the guy 250 or he can bottle feed it twice a day for a long time

Yes his price was obo so I was gonna offer 300. I figure that left my room for profit and it if didn't work out I wouldn't be out much.

Latest posts