Dead bull

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
Stopped by the stockyard today, I was looking at all the junk that was there today and noticed the only bull in the back pen laying on his side. Upon further inspection I came to the conclusion that he had went on to be with the lord :shock: . I asked one of the morons running from the cows what had happen and he said that he came in last night and dropped dead during the middle of the night. I guess that the owner will get to see how good the barn's insurance is.

circlew":1tl3zqol said:
Stopped by the stockyard today, I was looking at all the junk that was there today and noticed the only bull in the back pen laying on his side. Upon further inspection I came to the conclusion that he had went on to be with the lord :shock: . I asked one of the morons running from the cows what had happen and he said that he came in last night and dropped dead during the middle of the night. I guess that the owner will get to see how good the barn's insurance is.
they aint strangers to stuff like this, ive seen dead ones at em too,, could have been from heat stress or any number of things .....

A couple years ago, i hauled a heifer calf to the sale barn on my way to work one morning, on the way home, I stopped to pick up my check and the clerk said wait just a minute and came back with the manager. He said well i guess you don't have a check coming today, the heifer died :shock: They took care of it and everyone was happy. Like my great grandmother used to say "them that's got em can loose em".

Circlew,

Speaking of the not-always-real-bright employees that handle the cows at the sale barn, I very nearly decked a guy last Thursday. I had some calves in the trailer. Opened the gate on the back of the trailer to unload and one of the guys started jabbing one of the calves to get it out of the trailer. I told him not to jab the calves, they'd come out of the trailer easily with just a little touch on their backs.

The moron jabbed another one just in front of its hind leg and literally knocked the calf down. I grabbed the stick he was using and told him to get away from the trailer or I'd start using that stick on him. Fortunately for both of us, he walked away.

What makes those guys think they have to scream and hit the cows in the chutes?

Tom in TN

Tom in TN":2ls84w1s said:
Circlew,

Speaking of the not-always-real-bright employees that handle the cows at the sale barn, I very nearly decked a guy last Thursday. I had some calves in the trailer. Opened the gate on the back of the trailer to unload and one of the guys started jabbing one of the calves to get it out of the trailer. I told him not to jab the calves, they'd come out of the trailer easily with just a little touch on their backs.

The moron jabbed another one just in front of its hind leg and literally knocked the calf down. I grabbed the stick he was using and told him to get away from the trailer or I'd start using that stick on him. Fortunately for both of us, he walked away.

Tom,
What salebarn was that?

Tom in TN

ALA I don't think it was the heat. Its been in the low 80s during the day and mid 60s at night. May have froze to death? :shock:

Tom they are scared to death of the cows and any chance they get to be the top dog or show off they do.

Tom in TN":1js9t21x said:
Circlew,

Tom in TN
ive hauled cattle for the public, even worked at the stockyard a few times... theres a time and place for it

circlew":gdkhefvi said:
ALA I don't think it was the heat. Its been in the low 80s during the day and mid 60s at night. May have froze to death? :shock:

Tom they are scared to death of the cows and any chance they get to be the top dog or show off they do.
not saying it was for sure,,, but you'd be surprized at how confined stressed cattle, can over heat

worked in the stockyards up here a couple of winters. Cattle can die.
I agree some people get carried away, but as was said by ALACOWMAN, sometimes it is necessary.

I worked at a saleyard years ago. And there are lots of reasons they die there. One being that not all animals are exactly 100% when they arrive. If you bring one in that is knocking on deaths door...... that door might open before they can get him sold.

the barn has ins.an they will pay off if you twist their tail.an you have to have a pretty good talk with some barn owners to get them to pay off.

ALACOWMAN":14xfgfvp said:
circlew":14xfgfvp said:

not saying it was for sure,,, but you'd be surprized at how confined stressed cattle, can over heat
Stick your arm in a cow that was just penned and stick your arm in one that been penned up for 4 hours. Then tell me the difference in body temp. They get down right hot when stressed

Several years ago, I had a vet tell me that I needed to get a heifer to the salebarn before she died. I didn't take his advise and as he predicted, the heifer did pass away. I didn't and still don't have any regrets over not trying to sell her before she croaked. Not my style!

Fly-guy":215dm78t said:
Several years ago, I had a vet tell me that I needed to get a heifer to the salebarn before she died. I didn't take his advise and as he predicted, the heifer did pass away. I didn't and still don't have any regrets over not trying to sell her before she croaked. Not my style!
:)

shaz,

That incident with the guy who was poking my calves occured at the Tennessee Livestock Producers sale barn in Columbia, TN. I can't remember the manager's name right now, but I've complained to him before about the treatment his guys give to the cattle.

I've messed with cows long enough to know that occasionally a bone-headed cow needs needs some extra persuasion to move it along, but if you watch the guys who work the barns, I think that you'll see that they generally use way too much force and fear on the cows. I hate to see the animals stressed for no really good reason.

Tom in TN

Ya know, when it's time it's time....

Couple years ago a 2000 lb bull comes in the ring and sticks his head up at the ring man...ring man taps (I was there, he didn't hit it) him on the forehead with his stick....bull drops dead right there.

1982vett":4ec01ck5 said:
Ya know, when it's time it's time....

Couple years ago a 2000 lb bull comes in the ring and sticks his head up at the ring man...ring man taps (I was there, he didn't hit it) him on the forehead with his stick....bull drops dead right there.
Did the auctioneer quickly yell "SOLD!"?
:D

Latest posts