Since country music is pretty much dead........

Help Support CattleToday:

I know the feeling. It is interesting how my mind looks at things differently with time. I thinks it's strange when people refer to music from the 80s as oldies or classics. On the other hand, that has been 30-plus years ago. During the 80s, I didn't argue when people referred to songs from the 50s as oldies or classics.
True it doesn't seem like long ago at all that I was in high school and then early 20's and the contemporary music of the time and some from earlier times were what I identified with. Hard to believe that was well over 25 years ago.

Interesting sound. Very folky. Is the howling a Canadian thing? Just kidding! Childers has much more of a bluegrass influence but I can see some similarities. Childers also had some interesting comments about BLM. I didn't really agree but it made a guy stop and think for a moment.
Yes he did... the song he released I appreciated somewhat. Not so much his explanation of it that accompanied it. Has been difficult for me to enjoy his music the same since if I'm being honest.

I expect many artists to think differently than me, I just don't want to hear them say it, as dumb as that is lol

I suppose if we all agreed on everything it would be a boring world..

My favorite as a kid was Jim Reeves; "Talking to your Heart" I think was the name of the album. I grew up with the more "smooth" country artists..... that's what my parents listened to. I never got into much rock.....
Gentleman Jim Reeves, Charlie Pride, Conway Twitty, Charlie Rich, Eddy Arnold, Glen Campbell, Bill Anderson some of the ole ones like Lefty Frizzell.... a couple more I can't remember ......Loved North to Alaska.... Johnny Horton......
I liked Tommy James and the Shondells....more of the "ballad" singers like Momma's and Pappas, couple others in high school.
Hard to beat Marty Robbins for ballads. Thought this one fitting as the 185th anniversary is on the 23rd.

Check out Will Banister does great covers of oldies, and writes his own music. A classic artist hard to find in the young crowd! Artist of the year in Texas.

Interesting sound. Very folky. Is the howling a Canadian thing? Just kidding! Childers has much more of a bluegrass influence but I can see some similarities. Childers also had some interesting comments about BLM. I didn't really agree but it made a guy stop and think for a moment.
The howling "yodeling" was a cowboy thing..and went with the song..Eddy Arnold was good at it..

My favorite as a kid was Jim Reeves; "Talking to your Heart" I think was the name of the album. I grew up with the more "smooth" country artists..... that's what my parents listened to. I never got into much rock.....
Gentleman Jim Reeves, Charlie Pride, Conway Twitty, Charlie Rich, Eddy Arnold, Glen Campbell, Bill Anderson some of the ole ones like Lefty Frizzell.... a couple more I can't remember ......Loved North to Alaska.... Johnny Horton......
I liked Tommy James and the Shondells....more of the "ballad" singers like Momma's and Pappas, couple others in high school.
I think smooth is a great way to describe those singers you listed. That described a lot of voices in classic country. Those are the kind of voices I miss in today's country. I can't think of any of the classics who sang with the Mr. Kimble voice like today.

One I really liked too. The older singers seemed to have more range and could carry their notes more than alot of the new ones. And I have to agree, they did get quite "gussied up" when they performed, but it was nice to see that they wanted to present an image of a professional even if some of the Rhinestones were a bit much sometimes.... better than just an old "hayseed" looking like an old hayseed. And I think that people that used to pay some of their hard earned good money did want to see the singer looking like they made an effort for their public.
People used to want to look like they made an effort to look a little "nicer, neater, cleaner" when they went somewhere. I hate to wear a dress but I also like to at least wear clean neat clothes when I go to town most times. Yes, I will do errands on my way home form testing because I am trying to save trips.... but often I will still have a clean sweatshirt in the truck/car and try to clean my boots with a water hose at the dairy before I leave. If I am going to do some errands, grocery shopping, etc. then go by the stock yards, I still want to be wearing clean jeans and such.

I have spent some of the best and worst moments of my life buried heart deep in a country song. There are times in a persons life when
six strings and the written word are all that are needed to take one away from where they are or to deliver a much needed message.
I have a great affinity for the writers of the genre, among them Curly Putnam He stopped loving her today Rodney Crowell Until I gain control again
Warner Mack I might as well be talking to the wall, and Merle Haggard's I'll never swim Kern River again. There are others of equal ability I am sure.
The ones mention just happen to come up at the moment. I would be remiss not to mention the legions of undiscovered artists who have entertained
themselves and close friends over the years and so I salute Valentine Holbrook an absolute Master of the Martin.

One I really liked too. The older singers seemed to have more range and could carry their notes more than a lot of the new ones. And I have to agree, they did get quite "gussied up" when they performed, but it was nice to see that they wanted to present an image of a professional even if some of the Rhinestones were a bit much sometimes.... better than just an old "hayseed" looking like an old hayseed. And I think that people that used to pay some of their hard earned good money did want to see the singer looking like they made an effort for their public.
People used to want to look like they made an effort to look a little "nicer, neater, cleaner" when they went somewhere. I hate to wear a dress but I also like to at least wear clean neat clothes when I go to town most times. Yes, I will do errands on my way home form testing because I am trying to save trips.... but often I will still have a clean sweatshirt in the truck/car and try to clean my boots with a water hose at the dairy before I leave. If I am going to do some errands, grocery shopping, etc. then go by the stock yards, I still want to be wearing clean jeans and such.
That's true, everybody used to try to look their best when they were around others. I've seen pictures of my grandparent's generation. Even though they barely had a pot to cook in, they took pride in that one nice shirt or dress that they wore when they went to town or church, and most men had on a tie. If I had to guess, I'd say that today's generation of country singers didn't have as poor of an upbringing, but some of them prefer to look like they are dressed for dumpster diving.

Some other things I miss about country music is the smoother, baratone voices like Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Charlie Pride, etc. I also miss the light-hearted, comedic type songs that were once a big part of country music. Jerry Reed made a career of those types of songs. Maybe country radio is full of them these days, and I just missed them, but I haven't heard anything like "One Piece At a Time" or "the Bird" in a long time. These were #1 and #2songs.

For those of you who like the early sounds of country with longer melodies and simple storied songwriting, William Beckmann. Young guy with an old soul. Straight outta Del Rio.

Randy Rogers, Reckless Kelly for those who like a little fiddle in their speakers

Whiskey Myers, Blackberry Smoke if you like your country a little more rockin'

Sturgill Simpson, Tyler Childers if you like a little more folky sound. Sturg also has a bluegrass album.

Jerry Reed. She got the goldmine, I got the shaft. Makes me laugh everyt ime I hear it....
Yes, that was a great one too. It was the single release before "The Bird," and went to #1. I was riding in the car with my mother the first time I heard that song. We thought it was hilarious.

Latest posts