dead bull calves - HELP!

Help Support CattleToday:

mrl

Reaction score
we recently purchased 30 bred heifers (blacks and baldys). these heifers were all bred to one bull (low bw, angus). we started calving on 12-15 and have had a lot of problems. to date we have had 11 calves. 6 heifer calves have been born with no problem. all 5 of the bull calves have been stillborn (near as we can tell). the heifers were all pelvic measured and only the acceptable ones were kept. has any one heard of any kind of a disease/problem involving stillborn bull calves or is it just a coincedence they were all bulls? we have done a lot of research and contacted a local vet, but to this point don't have an answer.. HELP! we have never had this problem in the past. have talked to several ranchers around area and they all seem out of ideas also.

It does not seem a coincidence. Too prevalent. What did the vet say? Did s/he do an autopsy on them? I sure would want this figured out quick.....
What did the vet do?

I don't have a clue. Very interesting problem though. If you can't find a vet with an answer I would contact KSU. Please keep us posted.

Larry

Have you seen any of these calves born? How big are the bull calves compared to the heifers? I have seen before where a bull would throw really tiny heifers and rather large bull calves. It could be that your heifers are having a difficult time birthing the bull calves, and they are taking long enough that the calves are dying.

the bull calves don't seem to be any larger than the heifers. in fact two of the five were at least 2-4 weeks early (more like late term abortions). had to pull one calf and it never showed any signs of life.

oh yea.. forgot to mention. we had another calf last night/early this morning everything went fine...heifer calf.

i've talked to three different vets today and they can't think of any viral or bacterial diseases that would lead to the dam aborting just bull calves. they also didn't know of any genetic disorders between the bull and heifers which lead to this kind of outcome. as of right now i do have one vet who has volunteered to do a little more research on the subject, but haven't heard back.

the vets said we needed to wait until the next one (if there is), because the others died too long ago to give satisfactory results from the autopsies.

The bull that bred these cows must be what I've heard termed as a "Heifer" bull? :roll:

i suppose it could be a genetic sexlinked lethal but ive never heard tell of that in cattle. but what do i know, i just work here.