Daylight saving time

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Let us start a little survey, what are you going to do with the extra daylight you are going to get. Does anyone know why and when daylight savings time started. What would happened to you if you broke the daylight savings time law. I think I am just going to sit around and think up topics to ask questions and make statments on this forum, that is what I will do with my hour.

Don't know the answers to your questions but I got up for church a little early turned on the computer and discovered it was an hour earlier than I thought it was. So, this is what I am doing with my extra hour. That and watching it snow. :(

I feel like I'm losing daylight, rather than gaining. It'll now get dark an hour earlier in the evening, and yet I"ll start the day at the same time (in daylight, although a little brighter now) just as I did last week.

I think it started during WW1 but the idea goes back to Ben Franklin. Ben had a lot of ideas. DST wasn't his best.
Here in Indiana, on DST, high noon of the sun comes about 2:30 PM. Sunset comes at 10 pm.
Our governor seems intelligent in most ways, but he had a burr under his saddle about putting us on DST. Our captains of industry said they couldn't possibly make a profit if we weren't on the same time as NYC. No wonder we've been economically comatose.
Oh well. I'll step down.

My Debby's folks live in Tuscon. Half the yer they are an hour behind us the other half they are two hours.Z

i have cheated daylight savings time for years. as a result i have been thinking i'm a whole year older than i actually am. pleasant surprise when i sat down and did the math.

Jogeephus":echgag9v said:
Does anyone know how to change the time on a cheap digital wrist watch? :oops:

Yea... Go to Wally world and get the girl behind the counter in the jewelry dept. do do it. Same thing with changing out the battery.Z

MillIronQH":1djirt3b said:
Jogeephus":1djirt3b said:

Yea... Go to Wally world and get the girl behind the counter in the jewelry dept. do do it. Same thing with changing out the battery.Z

if youre going to go to the hassel of going to Walmart you might as well just buy another watch. that way you will have one that is right at all times.

(sidenote* i bet thats a real pain in the butt to work in the clock department during daylight savings)

WELL i'm thinking ,my daughter is bringing her boy friend to meet us for the first time today--I.m thinking about putting on my old brown house coat .rubber boots .touque .hang an old alarm clock around my neck and when he come in I.ll flash him and ask if he wants to buy a watch--He should remember the time change then, aye

carl

Going to WalMart a hassle??? you mean not everybody ends up having to go there at least twice a week? :shock: :lol: Z

MillIronQH":1nyseyrl said:
Going to WalMart a hassle??? you mean not everybody ends up having to go there at least twice a week? :shock: :lol: Z

I thought if you didn't go pay your dues twice a week, they sent out a truant officer after you.

I don't know where you get the idea that you get an extra hour of daylight :) Around here you start an hour before daylight and quit an hour or 3 or 4 after daylight :) Don't see any savings one way or the other.

ga. prime":3jlg9djs said:
I feel like I'm losing daylight, rather than gaining. It'll now get dark an hour earlier in the evening, and yet I"ll start the day at the same time (in daylight, although a little brighter now) just as I did last week.

Your correct, looking on the calender in front of me and it says "Daylight Savings Time ends" we will have less daylight not more. Not only did it shift the time to more daylight in the morning than the evening.

The number of hours with daylight changes as the earth orbits the sun, we get our shortest day sometime in December. So we are loosing daylight not gaining any.

john250":275s4sup said:
Sunset comes at 10 pm.

Pre or post-dst? We went on dst this morning at 2 AM, and now it is full dark at between 5:30 and 6:00 pm. Since you're probably in CST, I would have thought full dark was hitting by 7 or so.

msscamp":3tu142yq said:
john250":3tu142yq said:
Sunset comes at 10 pm.

Pre or post-dst? We went on dst this morning at 2 AM, and now it is full dark at between 5:30 and 6:00 pm. Since you're probably in CST, I would have thought full dark was hitting by 7 or so.

Ms, I'm on the western edge of the Eastern Zone. When we are on EDT in the summer it is dark about 10 pm.

I really need to wise up I did not realize we just changed from Daylight Saving Time to Standard Daylight time. I think the reason for daylight savings time is to make give people more daylight in the evening to go and spend money. :oops: :oops:

Jogeephus":2jfd3e3j said:

I throw it in the drawer until DSL comes around again next year. Now if I could just figure how to get that stupid alarm to shut off.........

john250":24ah8blf said:
msscamp":24ah8blf said:
john250":24ah8blf said:
Sunset comes at 10 pm.

Ms, I'm on the western edge of the Eastern Zone. When we are on EDT in the summer it is dark about 10 pm.

I see. Thanks! :)

Latest posts