day light and dairy cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave from MN

Reaction score
I am reaffirming what I believe here. Will Dairy cows(Brown Swiss) production increase dramatically if they are allowed out doors for the majority of the day, or if they end up being in the barn ALL 24/7, does the amount of light (artificial or natural) improve production compoared to being in very dark all the time. Also will calves (birth toi 200lbs) do better in bright areas as opposed to darkness 23 hours a day. I am asking because I want to improve things at a freinds place. I have my beliefs and they have theirs but are ready for a much needed change and I want my facts straight. Thanks

I read a study once that said you could increase milk production by 7% to 10% by improving lighting. I can't remember the details of the study, but I know I found it on the web. In the study there were two other environmental factors that you could change which when improved would increase milk production.

Dave

There is only one shift that turns off lights where I work...mine, 3rd. Amounts to them being off for about 1 1/2 hours before 1st shift comes. They just started turning them off mid summer. Theory the son gave me was the cows needed rest time, but I tend to think it was more the electric bill. :p I didn't notice a drop in production because of it however.

Dave...would ventilation be a factor? Heat can take a tremendous toll on production...they seem to produce the strongest when the weather is in the 40's.

Providing light in a freestall, tie stall, or other enclosed dairy may be a dandy idea. But I doubt if lighing a couple of hundred acres of pasture would do much good, or be even reasonably feasible.

dun

dun":1mmeynao said:
Providing light in a freestall, tie stall, or other enclosed dairy may be a dandy idea. But I doubt if lighing a couple of hundred acres of pasture would do much good, or be even reasonably feasible.

dun

Maybe you could run them on the local baseball field at night and use the lights in exchange for all natural turf fertilizer. ;-)

Latest posts