Dates on organic vs. non-organic milk

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I would have put this in the "Got milk" section but it's pretty slow compared to here.

Anyway, I've noticed at our local grocery that organic milk has a much longer "sell before date" than non organic does. My wife bought some Horizon brand organic milk this past Thursday with the "sell before date" being 7-24-10. The non organic milk's latest "sell before date" was 7-6-10. It is always consistently like this. Just curious as to why organic would have a much later "sell before date"? :???:

At the price they charge it probably takes that long to move it off the shelf. But...as ga said...it is heated to almost twice the temperature as regular milk prior to packaging. Has nothing at all to do with being organic.

I guess I should have Googled it, you can almost find anything on there. It said most ultra was heated to 191 F for 1 second and then rapidly cooled.

TexasBred":l63a3ads said:
At the price they charge it probably takes that long to move it off the shelf. But...as ga said...it is heated to almost twice the temperature as regular milk prior to packaging. Has nothing at all to do with being organic.
But how many do you think would believe that? Its better because it's organic is their thoughts.

novaman":hchjurhi said:
TexasBred":hchjurhi said:
But how many do you think would believe that? Its better because it's organic is their thoughts.
Absolutely...

GRTiger85":1sjgmzwq said:
"Organic" anything is the biggest crock of BS
With milk and meat all it means it that the animal that produced the product was not given any antibiotics which could have been absorbed. I guess that technically all milk is organic as milk with antibiotics is condemned and dumped.

GRTiger85":3srk7yru said:
"Organic" anything is the biggest crock of BS
I'm right with ya on that! Some people found a niche selling "organic" and many folk fell for it as they want healthier foods. Organic crop production is less productive and requires more energy and inputs than conventional crop production, for the most part. The result is a less efficient means of producing food. Aren't we trying to become more efficient? Furthermore, (the chemist side of me coming out here) organic simply means a compound that contains carbon. Any living things contains carbon in its cells so in all actuality everything we eat SHOULD be considered organic anyway. Why does this subject always seem to ruffle my feathers?

I would assume that "organic milk" if advertised as such has to meet the governments requirements for organic. Organic certified feeds, care, etc.

dun":js4lsf1o said:
I would assume that "organic milk" if advertised as such has to meet the governments requirements for organic. Organic certified feeds, care, etc.
That's right. Pasture with no "chemical" fertilizers or pesticides applied. Cows allowed to free roam the "chemical and pesticide free pasture" and graze freely under no duress rather than be confined and fed silage and/or ground feed. No hormones, antibiotics, fly ointments, or medications of any kind for any reason anywhere in their history, etc.

ga.prime":1dsm5p92 said:
dun":1dsm5p92 said:
That's right. Pasture with no "chemical" fertilizers or pesticides applied. Cows allowed to free roam the "chemical and pesticide free pasture" and graze freely under no duress rather than be confined and fed silage and/or ground feed. No hormones, antibiotics, fly ointments, or medications of any kind for any reason anywhere in their history, etc.
Whoa bud. There are organic operations that don't graze. They can be fed all the silage, alfalfa, corn, whatever they want as long as it's grown organically.

novaman":370ircxf said:
ga.prime":370ircxf said:
dun":370ircxf said:
Whoa bud. There are organic operations that don't graze. They can be fed all the silage, alfalfa, corn, whatever they want as long as it's grown organically.
OK, pal. You have to admit though, the free range option is a good selling point.

ga.prime":1gm7v7ji said:
OK, pal. You have to admit though, the free range option is a good selling point.
Most certainly. If I wouldn't know better I would probably believe that free range is far better too. It's all propaganda. When anyone hears confinement they automatically think of terrible conditions when in reality most confinement operations are putting the cow at more comfort than she would be out in a pasture.

USDA makes no requirement about chemical fertilizers.....only requirements on pesticides is that they NOT be used on feed crops...corn, hay, grazing, etc. No mention about pour ons etc. The definition of Organic is very broad.

Latest posts